The Shrine? Why don't they treat it that way?

Steve9347

I was at the game on Friday, and saw one of the sickest displays of humanity in sports. I always wanted to give Cubs fans their fair shake... "Don't lump them together as mostly idiots," I'd think to myself.

So throughout the game, it's just in fact a beer garden. Half the fans are more occupied with their next beer than what's on the field. Hardly anyone was paying attention to the game. Sure enough though, when those b2b homers were hit in the 7th off Dotel, they were "fans" once again.

The disturbing part of the afternoon was when Aramis hit the walk-off HR. The "Cub fans" who adore Wrigley and call it a shrine launch beers onto the field. Fully clad in White Sox jersey and hat, I'm surprised I didn't get pelted with a beer or two myself, but an innocent 30 or so year old woman got drenched because she had Sox gear on... I can't help but to think had the Cubs followed the law and stopped serving at the 7th inning stretch, maybe every moron in the outfield would not have had a full beer to launch after the Cubs win. They were selling beers right up until that pitch was hit.

All I can say is, sweep or not, I'm proud to say I'm a Sox fan, and not a Cubs fan today.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
I was at the game on Friday, and saw one of the sickest displays of humanity in sports. I always wanted to give Cubs fans their fair shake... "Don't lump them together as mostly idiots," I'd think to myself.

So throughout the game, it's just in fact a beer garden. Half the fans are more occupied with their next beer than what's on the field. Hardly anyone was paying attention to the game. Sure enough though, when those b2b homers were hit in the 7th off Dotel, they were "fans" once again.

The disturbing part of the afternoon was when Aramis hit the walk-off HR. The "Cub fans" who adore Wrigley and call it a shrine launch beers onto the field. Fully clad in White Sox jersey and hat, I'm surprised I didn't get pelted with a beer or two myself, but an innocent 30 or so year old woman got drenched because she had Sox gear on... I can't help but to think had the Cubs followed the law and stopped serving at the 7th inning stretch, maybe every moron in the outfield would not have had a full beer to launch after the Cubs win. They were selling beers right up until that pitch was hit.

All I can say is, sweep or not, I'm proud to say I'm a Sox fan, and not a Cubs fan today.

I sometimes forget why I can't stand the Cubs and decide to be more mature and open minded. I think that baseball is baseball and, Zambrano's antics aside, I really should not cheer against a specific team just because of their uniform. Then I turn the game on and listen to Len Kaspar stroke these people about what awesome "fans" they are, see the 7th inning stretch with some celebrity "singer" and hear "go Cubs Go" after a win. My hate returns to normal levels and I go back to hoping for them to lose every day, not because I want the players to do poorly but just to shut up these baseball ignorant drunkards. They are not fans of the game and really do not respect their park for anything other than what it is to them, a giant beer garden/singles bar.

And if I see one more pandering post about how much fun Wrigley is from a specific member of this site, I think am going to vomit. Stop auditioning for ESPN. No, I am not talking about you, Steve.

This series in itself (Cubs/Sox) is overrated, and it is also true that what the Cubs do has no affect on us at all outside of when we play them. I am even the guy that started the positive minded "it could be worse" thread last night, and I meant it. But if you can't, as a White Sox fan like we all are here, hate the Chicago Cubs just based on basic principle, then I can't help you. They are the most hateable franchise in sports, and it's not even close. The fact that a franchise that NEVER wins can still be so hateable is all you need to know about them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

GREAT THREAD! As a policeman here in the city i had the chance to work the game sat afternnoon as my unit was needed to help apprehend tix scalpers. At first i wasn't going to volunteer to go, but my partner changed my mind. As of 930 am outside wrigley, there was 3 drunk individuals from all seperate occasions that were arrested from urinating on someone's front porch; to throwing beer bottles at sox fans walking to the park, Cub fans don't respect the game of baseball and the right for someone to cheer for the other team, and they certainly don't respect the area around the park. The way the act to the citizens that live there are ridiculous! but on a good note It turned out i had a blast locking up 6 different cub fans that were out there scalping their tix. LOL One guy actually wasn't going to "sell" me his tix not because he thought me and partner were the police (we were not in uniform) but because i had my sox jersey on and my partner had his sox shirt on. So when he got caught after he agreed to "sell" It made me feel all the better!

QUOTE (spataro51 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
GREAT THREAD! As a policeman here in the city i had the chance to work the game sat afternnoon as my unit was needed to help apprehend tix scalpers. At first i wasn't going to volunteer to go, but my partner changed my mind. As of 930 am outside wrigley, there was 3 drunk individuals from all seperate occasions that were arrested from urinating on someone's front porch; to throwing beer bottles at sox fans walking to the park, Cub fans don't respect the game of baseball and the right for someone to cheer for the other team, and they certainly don't respect the area around the park. The way the act to the citizens that live there are ridiculous! but on a good note It turned out i had a blast locking up 6 different cub fans that were out there scalping their tix. LOL One guy actually wasn't going to "sell" me his tix not because he thought me and partner were the police (we were not in uniform) but because i had my sox jersey on and my partner had his sox shirt on. So when he got caught after he agreed to "sell" It made me feel all the better!

From one police officer to another I thank you

I don't really hate the Cubs.

I am a White Sox fan.

All I needed was to get our ring first. We did, great. They can get theirs now, unless its our turn again.

Cubs fans, however, are not fun. The "shrine" is also not fun.

It's funny, they're going to tear the old Yankee Stadium down this year. Nobody in NYC is mad. Sure there's history there, but the place is a dump. I feel the same way about Wrigley Field.

History is great and all, but the truth is that if it's not a comfortable place to watch a game, I don't want to have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to watch it.

I don't really hate the Cubs.

I am a White Sox fan.

All I needed was to get our ring first. We did, great. They can get theirs now, unless its our turn again.

Cubs fans, however, are not fun. The "shrine" is also not fun.

It's funny, they're going to tear the old Yankee Stadium down this year. Nobody in NYC is mad. Sure there's history there, but the place is a dump. I feel the same way about Wrigley Field.

History is great and all, but the truth is that if it's not a comfortable place to watch a game, I don't want to have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to watch it.

That's the whole thing. I don't think anyone here hate the "Cubs". It's the fans that is fueling the hatred. And them getting a ring would only make them more arrogant and cocky, and make us hate them even more.

This is a great thread. I hate the fans more than the team. Lee, Ramirez, etc. are all great players. It's the fans that get on my nerves. Just today, I've been receiving emails, text from my Cub fan friends gloating about the sweep. It's rather annoying and kinda immature. Just a question for everyone, though. If the tables were turned would you/we do the same? If we sweep them next weekend, I'll be glad we swept them to a) hopefully keep our hold on first place B) shut Cub fans up.

I won't be sending silly messages to people.

This is a great thread. I hate the fans more than the team. Lee, Ramirez, etc. are all great players. It's the fans that get on my nerves. Just today, I've been receiving emails, text from my Cub fan friends gloating about the sweep. It's rather annoying and kinda immature. Just a question for everyone, though. If the tables were turned would you/we do the same? If we sweep them next weekend, I'll be glad we swept them to a) hopefully keep our hold on first place B) shut Cub fans up.

I never gloated to my Cub friends about 2005. I just kept all the enjoyment to myself, and killed them with kindness. You could tell they were jealous anyway.

Great post and good job Spat with the arrest story.

That is so lame drenching that woman with beer.

Ridiculous.

Nobody goes to the park and pays the big bucks to get drenched.

What a great tradition to throw beer on the shrine field after the win.

Stupid drunks.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)

When I was a kid I loved Sandberg, Grace, and Dawson.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
When I was a kid I was a fan of both teams, somewhere along the line Cub fans drove me to the Force.

I was too, I just liked baseball and I just wanted to watch whatever team was on. Then when I got to be about 12 I figured I had to choose one and I realized the Cubs just plain sucked and the Sox did not.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
I was too, I just liked baseball and I just wanted to watch whatever team was on. Then when I got to be about 12 I figured I had to choose one and I realized the Cubs just plain sucked and the Sox did not.

Yeah, I probably could name as many '84 Cubs as '83 White Sox. It was different back then. Neither team had done much in ages. Both neighborhoods were sketchy in their own way. Both parks were crumbling relics and both franchises were trying to turn the corner with new ownership. Fans would jaw with each other about which team was better, but the arguments over attendance and other silly things of nowadays really does not stick out in my mind. Maybe I am delusional since I was just a kid back then.

I was a fan of both teams as a little kid up to when we moved to suburbia as a teen because my grandfather was a Cub fan and took me to Cub games and it was fun going with him, just him and me.

I liked buying the scorecards and pencil at Wrigley and some peanuts and enjoying baseball. It was amazing battling the sellout crowds.

We always had Sox season tickets though and I went to more Sox games and always liked the Sox better.

We kept the Sox tickets, went to college and ultimately upon returning in summers went to 30 Sox games, no Cub games and became die hard Sox fan. Started to feel apathy for Cubs, just didn't care how they did; cared greatly how Sox did.

QUOTE (rockren @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
They're easily the dumbest fan base in all of baseball.

Here is a facebook message that will prove that point, it was sent after the Saturday game:

Scrubs Fan: I'll be getting my broom out tomorrow. Sox are a joke.

My Reply: Go ahead and bring a broom to that urine soaked historical site...The difference between Cubs and Sox fans since 2005 is this...we don't hold the crosstown series with as high regard as when both teams sucked...before then it was the only playoff style baseball the city would ever see. Now all I care about is winning series....and along that 162 game road your gonna get swept (sometimes by the D-Rays) so if that happens tomorrow so be it....its only one series and were not even at the break yet. So go and rejoice that your cubs are in first place and have taken 2 games this series...but if you get swept by the Phillies in the first round of the playoffs at least you'll have an 8 run inning to make you happy.

Scrubs Fan Reply: Hitting a nerve huh? Even after the Sox won the WS, the fans are still obsessed with the Cubs. Its pathetic.

Is it just me or did the idiot just basically say the same thing I said to him?