Roster Decisions Coming Soon For Sox

bjm676

With the recent nice play of Dewayne Wise, it looks like Pablo or Juan may be the odd man out, when Konerko returns. So who would you rather keep? Pablo does bring a little more versatility and speed. But Uribe obviously has more defensive skills and power off the bench (when he's not swinging at everything). Personally, I'd rather keep Pablo. We need someone who can bunt, steal a base and can play almost anywhere (outfield not included).

Power, speed, defense, versatility? What one is it? What is more important?

Link

Roster decisions looming for Sox

06/25/2008 3:00 AM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- Pablo Ozuna wasn't originally scheduled to start in Tuesday's 6-1 victory over the Dodgers. But every appearance Ozuna receives, whether it's as a pinch-runner, pinch-hitter or spot starter at third base for Joe Crede, could be important in maintaining his spot on the active roster.

When Paul Konerko returns from the disabled list, probably some time next week, it was assumed that outfielder Dewayne Wise would be the odd man out. But with manager Ozzie Guillen stating before Tuesday's game how Wise has impressed him, along with his desire to keep 12 pitchers, then it could be a battle for survival between utility infielders such as Ozuna and Juan Uribe.

"It's kind of hard for both. I wish I could play them more in the lineup," Guillen said. "Ozuna, he gives me a lot of stuff. Obviously, if that decision had to be made tomorrow, it would be a tough decision to make.

"They're not going to see too many at-bats."

Guillen explained how the White Sox brass sat down with Uribe when he returned from the disabled list at the end of May and told him how his playing time would be reduced. Alexei Ramirez basically had won the starting job at second base.

To Uribe's credit, he didn't complain about the change.

"He took it like a champ, and I appreciate the way he took it," Guillen said. "I mean it's not easy when you're going to be a free agent, sit on the bench and lose your job and take it the way he's taking it.

"Work hard, pinch-hit when he has to pinch-hit, not complain, but on the other side, I love this kid. I really love Uribe. We're going to try to do the best we can to have better stuff for him -- maybe here or somewhere else."

Somewhere else could be the possibility when Konerko gets healthy, but Guillen quickly added he might take a shot at Uribe playing third. Uribe could get that opportunity on Wednesday, depending on the health of Crede and his stiff lower back.

With southpaws starting Wednesday and Thursday for the Dodgers, Wise figures to yield at least one game to Brian Anderson. Then again, with the way Wise is swinging the bat and covering center field, he might be hard for Guillen to replace.

"I love the way this kid is playing, I do," said Guillen. "He can bring a lot of stuff. He brings good speed, good defense in the outfield, he gives me good at-bats. He gives me a chance to do a lot of things.

"Right now, I think it's too early to make that decision on what move we're going to make. It's going to be what we need. Obviously, I don't make those moves. We have to sit with Kenny [Williams] and the coaching staff and see what's best for the ballclub."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uribe can cover 3B defensively as well as Pablo, or better. Uribe can also play short and second with plus defense, which Pablo couldn't hope to do. Neither can hit, though at least when Juan does hit, it goes far. The only plus I see for Ozuna is speed, but with Wise and Anderson on the bench providing some of that, Pablo's value as a PR is miniscule. And Uribe might actually have a small amount of value in trade - Ozuna has none.

Mr. Ozuna, you served a purpose well for this team the last few seasons. But its time to go.

juan will probably be gone, but id rather say bye to pablo...pablo has way overperformed himself in his limited role here, and as much as i like the guy, he is what he is...a poor defender, poor on base ability, zero power.....while he will get a few hits and can run and bunt those qualities off the bench are there now in the form of wise....id rather have uribes superior defense and occasional power...although the fact that juan hasnt played 3rd in a long time will also really hurt his case for being on the team

This team needs guys who can come off the bench and play fundamental baseball, be that bunting, or pinch hitting. Uribe does what the rest do, swings for the fences. He just does it at the poorest rate in the majors.

Ozuna is the OBVIOUS decision.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Pablo: hits .300 (yes, I know, it's in limited at bats). Uribe: hits .200. I'd keep Pablo. Plus, Pablo has better speed.

Pablo hit .300 ONCE, in 2006. His last two seasons (last and this), he's hit .244 and .275, with OBP's well below .300. He also has near-zero power. His OPS last year was .562, this year its .582.

Uribe, even in crappy seasons, puts up high-600 OPS numbers.

Bad as Uribe is at the plate, he's better than Pablo.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
This team needs guys who can come off the bench and play fundamental baseball, be that bunting, or pinch hitting. Uribe does what the rest do, swings for the fences. He just does it at the poorest rate in the majors.

Ozuna is the OBVIOUS decision.

ozuna is probably the worst defensive player on the team (not counting thome), and uribe is arguably the best....also im fairly sure that for 2 straight years juan lead the team in success rate with a runner at 3rd and less than 2 outs....pablo may be able to bunt better, but i think wise might be getting that call from here on out anyways

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Uribe can cover 3B defensively as well as Pablo, or better. Uribe can also play short and second with plus defense, which Pablo couldn't hope to do. Neither can hit, though at least when Juan does hit, it goes far. The only plus I see for Ozuna is speed, but with Wise and Anderson on the bench providing some of that, Pablo's value as a PR is miniscule. And Uribe might actually have a small amount of value in trade - Ozuna has none.

Mr. Ozuna, you served a purpose well for this team the last few seasons. But its time to go.

I agree. Sadly, as Pablo was one of my favorite bench players. Outside of bunting well, the only thing that Pablo brought to the table was his base-stealing ability. As long as Wise is on the roster, I don't see the need for a 35-year-old pinch-runner down the stretch.

Edited by WCSox

Keep Pablo, he brings more energy and seems to be more liked in the clubhouse. Despite his 0 power, we are not a team starved of power, what we are missing is guys who can hit, hit the opposite field, bunt and run. Ozuna does that better than Uribe. Pablo plays third, SS and second fine, not great, but not horrible. Uribe is just as likely to make an error because of his tendency to be lazy in the field.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Sadly, I agree, as Pablo was one of my favorite bench players. Outside of bunting well, the only thing that Pablo brought to the table was his base-stealing ability. As long as Wise is on the roster, I don't see the need for a 35-year-old pinch-runner down the stretch.

not to mention down the stretch we will have owens on the team (at least in sept) that will be our designated pinch runner

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
Keep Pablo, he brings more energy and seems to be more liked in the clubhouse. Despite his 0 power, we are not a team starved of power, what we are missing is guys who can hit, hit the opposite field, bunt and run. Ozuna does that better than Uribe. Pablo plays third, SS and second fine, not great, but not horrible. Uribe is just as likely to make an error because of his tendency to be lazy in the field.

I have to strongly disagree on the defense here. Pablo is passable at 3B, substandard at 2B, and awful at SS. And Uribe is a better or far better fielder than Pablo at all three positions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Pablo hit .300 ONCE, in 2006. His last two seasons (last and this), he's hit .244 and .275, with OBP's well below .300. He also has near-zero power. His OPS last year was .562, this year its .582.

Uribe, even in crappy seasons, puts up high-600 OPS numbers.

I'm talking about this current season, right now. Ozuna is hitting .293.

If all you really need is a fill-in defender, a pinch runner, or you need to give Crede a day off or something, Pablo is your man. Not to mention he can play 2B and if really needed, he can play LF.

Uribe has some nice power and he's been a great pinch hitter lately, but I'm tired of his careless play at times and his terribly inconsistent bat. I mean, if you're going to be a .220 hitter, at least hit .220 all the time. He freaking streaks! He'll hit .290 one week and .150 another. Pablo is a lot more consistent and fits the role they're fighting for a lot more, which is a utility man who can pinch hit and pinch run once in a while. Do you really want Uribe's fat ass running in a tight ball game?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
Pablo: hits .300 (yes, I know, it's in limited at bats). Uribe: hits .200. I'd keep Pablo. Plus, Pablo has better speed.

Uribe is a better defender and can hit with some pop. Wise is a good looking player, but might not be the one to stay anyway

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)

Pablo is more of a contact hitter, which really fits this club better than another swing and miss all or nothing guy. He also brings a bit of hustle, which Uribe doesnt. Its time to say goodbye to Juan.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
not to mention down the stretch we will have owens on the team (at least in sept) that will be our designated pinch runner

That's if Owens isn't on the DL like he is right now with Charlotte.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Uribe is a better defender and can hit with some pop. Wise is a good looking player, but might not be the one to stay anyway

Don't know about you guys, but Uribe has pissed me off more than any other player in his stay with the Sox. Especially the past couple of years.

You're right about Wise. He's not gonna hit .300 for much longer. He's on a nice little streak and will come down to Earth real soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)

I disagree entirely. pablo can do more things off the bench in situations than Juan can. He hits for more contact, can bunt, and hits the other way naturally. We are talking about a situational player here, not even really a once a week guy, and Pablo offers you more versatility than Juan does.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
I disagree entirely. pablo can do more things off the bench in situations than Juan can. He hits for more contact, can bunt, and hits the other way naturally. We are talking about a situational player here, not even really a once a week guy, and Pablo offers you more versatility than Juan does.

Pablo's only added versatility I can see over Uribe is speed (and Ozuna's speed isn't what it was), and the ability to bunt. Uribe can play all the same positions as Ozuna, except a lot better. Neither can hit well, but Uribe is still better than Ozuna at the plate. So as far as utility and versatility go, I think Uribe has more to offer.

All told, I'd rather have Bourgeois and Getz than Ozuna and Uribe anyway. The Uribe/Ozuna discussion is like deciding between brussel sprouts and haggis. I'd like to pass on both, thank you very much. But at least a few people actually like brussel sprouts.

Why not hold off on the decision and send Anderson down to AAA where he can get significant ab's (knowing that Wise will be the primary backup in the OF with Ramirez being able to fill in). If there are any serious injuries, you just call Anderson back-up and at that point decide between Pablo/Uribe.