The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

A perfect example of how broken our health care system is. Not only does a person lose her job, not only does she nearly wind up dead because of the bureaucracy, but on top of that, a company loses an excellent salesperson because she had the misfortune to get sick. The only reason this person is still alive is that a newspaper got involved.

Five months ago, Rose Camilleri was a superstar at the Zales outlet at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets.

In November, the diminutive grandmother with an Italian accent was flown to Dallas, home of Zales' headquarters, where she was honored with a 1-carat diamond necklace for making $1 million in sales last year.

"This is not only the first time that Woodbury has EVER had a million dollar producer," raved a Zales manager in an e-mail, "but is the FIRST time for the Northeast region as well!!! ... Congratulations on your UNBELIEVABLE accomplishment that you worked so hard to achieve!!! ... I love and appreciate you SOOOOOOOO much and I can't wait to get to your store to give you a BIG hug!!!"

It was the fifth diamond Camilleri had earned during 4½ years at Zales, where she received nearly a dozen commendations.

"I loved my work," she said. "I loved the people, and I loved it when people came in and asked for me."

But in early March, Camilleri developed bronchitis and went for a chest X-ray and an MRI. Her doctor discovered an aortic aneurysm, a weakness in the wall of the aorta, which, without prompt treatment, might rupture and cause quick death.

Camilleri told Zales she would need surgery as soon as possible.

"I told my manager I can't get upset because it could explode any minute," she said. "I typed up a letter asking for time off and guidance from human resources."

One week later, on March 14, she was asked to attend a meeting with a new regional manager.

"He said, 'You're terminated,'" Camilleri recalled. "I tried to keep myself very calm because I knew something could happen to me. I said, 'You're joking — you've never been in my store.' He said, 'It's the best thing.'"

It also meant Camilleri had to postpone her March 26 surgery until she could convert her insurance to a self-pay plan known as COBRA.

Two weeks later, Camilleri had not even received the paperwork.

Her son e-mailed the Times Herald-Record.

"We are told that it could take up to 45 days," Charles Camilleri wrote. "I lay awake every night fearing the worst."

Contacted by the Record, Zales would not comment. Charles Camilleri called Zales' human resources, explaining it was a life-or-death matter, and he simply needed a fax from Zales to start the COBRA process. He was floored by the employee's response.

"She said, "Well, if the surgery was rescheduled, then it's probably not a life-or-death situation," Charles Camilleri recalled. "I absolutely was blown away

Once again, the Record contacted Zales' corporate office, stressing that Rose Camilleri's condition could be fatal.

That afternoon, Charles got good news from Zales.

"They're turning my mother's health coverage back on today and expediting the COBRA information," he said.

After paying the first premium of $830, Rose had surgery last week and was back home on Sunday. "I don't think we would have had the surgery so soon if it weren't for your e-mail," Charles Camilleri said. "They probably would have kept us hanging."

Perhaps.

You may not like a national system, but if employers are the ones who have to bite the bullet, it's never going to work.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
If you want an example of how in-depth Secretary Gates has thought through his budget, take a look at the Littoral Combat ship. It's terribly over budget. But he kept it. Why? Because despite being over budget, if you start making them, you basically are producing a fast ship for a lot less money than a destroyer, frigate, or carrier costs. Which is exactly the kind of thing you need against smaller, insurgent type threats. Like, say, Pirates.

The situation in Somalia right now is an excellent example of how our military just is not built to face off against the asymmetric threats the U.S. is encountering in the 21st century. Which is why cutting back on the big ticket items and focusing in on the things we need is so important. Because tying up $5 billion worth of equipment because a couple pirates hit a container ship is a terrible way to use resources in the long run.

/pats self on back for screaming for President Obama to keep Secretary Gates and invites bmags over to share the spotlight

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
A perfect example of how broken our health care system is. Not only does a person lose her job, not only does she nearly wind up dead because of the bureaucracy, but on top of that, a company loses an excellent salesperson because she had the misfortune to get sick. The only reason this person is still alive is that a newspaper got involved.

You may not like a national system, but if employers are the ones who have to bite the bullet, it's never going to work.

This is an absolute bulls*** article. There are so many misrepresentations in this... it's about as bad as Glenn Beck fearmongering.

Here are the FACTS.

Zales does have 45 days to give out COBRA paperwork from date of termination. You can elect from 30 days from there.

And it is 100% retroactive - that is REQUIRED by law. If this lady had the surgery, it would still have been technically covered by insurance.

In reality, Zales is still on the hook for the medical payments if in a self paid plan. If they do not have self-funded plans, they still will get the amount figured into their premiums for the next year.

It really pisses me off that articles like this come out and totally misrepresent what the truth is. And then people like you, Balta, fall hook, line and sinker and scream "our health insurance suckssssss..." That's not a knock on you, it's a knock on misrepresenting the facts about how a program really works.

Her first mistake is telling your manager ANYTHING like this. Go to HR first.

Anyway, I know how this law works very thouroghly, not only because I'm going through it now, but from a management perspective.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
This is an absolute bulls*** article. There are so many misrepresentations in this... it's about as bad as Glenn Beck fearmongering.

Here are the FACTS.

Zales does have 45 days to give out COBRA paperwork from date of termination. You can elect from 30 days from there.

And it is 100% retroactive - that is REQUIRED by law. If this lady had the surgery, it would still have been technically covered by insurance.

In reality, Zales is still on the hook for the medical payments if in a self paid plan. If they do not have self-funded plans, they still will get the amount figured into their premiums for the next year.

It really pisses me off that articles like this come out and totally misrepresent what the truth is. And then people like you, Balta, fall hook, line and sinker and scream "our health insurance suckssssss..." That's not a knock on you, it's a knock on misrepresenting the facts about how a program really works.

Her first mistake is telling your manager ANYTHING like this. Go to HR first.

Anyway, I know how this law works very thouroghly, not only because I'm going through it now, but from a management perspective.

But that also means, with COBRA, you have to pay up front until coverage begins. Hard to do with tens of thousands of dollars for surgery.

Really though, I don't see this article as an illustration of a major problem with health care here. I just saw it as a sign that, apparently, Zales is a lousy place to work, and this regional manager (or whomever made the decision) is an asshole.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
But that also means, with COBRA, you have to pay up front until coverage begins. Hard to do with tens of thousands of dollars for surgery.

Really though, I don't see this article as an illustration of a major problem with health care here. I just saw it as a sign that, apparently, Zales is a lousy place to work, and this regional manager (or whomever made the decision) is an asshole.

Yeah, it really comes across as Zales being a bunch of assholes, not a broken health care system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

Honestly, it depends. True. You would have to theoretically "up front" the costs, but a lot of places will work with you on this.

Really good read from Nate Silver on the Republican-manufactured perception of "bipartisanship" vs. actual bipartisanship when the other party is simply being ridiculous and acting in bad faith, without ever really having any intention of acting in good faith.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/wha...e.html#comments

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
Really good read from Nate Silver on the Republican-manufactured perception of "bipartisanship" vs. actual bipartisanship when the other party is simply being ridiculous and acting in bad faith, without ever really having any intention of acting in good faith.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/wha...e.html#comments

nate silver predicted the 2005 white sox would win 80 games. just something to keep in mind

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
nate silver predicted the 2005 white sox would win 80 games. just something to keep in mind

Silver also predicted the 2008 general election and only missed Indiana by a couple of points.

Clarence Thomas is not a fan of the Bill of Rights. And he, um, loves his magic dish cleaning machine?

The event, on March 31, was devoted to the Bill of Rights, but Justice Thomas did not embrace the document, and he proposed a couple of alternatives.

“Today there is much focus on our rights,” Justice Thomas said. “Indeed, I think there is a proliferation of rights.”

“I am often surprised by the virtual nobility that seems to be accorded those with grievances,” he said. “Shouldn’t there at least be equal time for our Bill of Obligations and our Bill of Responsibilities?”

He gave examples: “It seems that many have come to think that each of us is owed prosperity and a certain standard of living. They’re owed air-conditioning, cars, telephones, televisions.”

Those are luxuries, Justice Thomas said.

“I have to admit,” he said, “that I’m one of those people that still thinks the dishwasher is a miracle. What a device! And I have to admit that because I think that way, I like to load it. I like to look in and see how the dishes were magically cleaned.”

What did I just read?

Seeing as how I don't have a dishwasher at the moment, I'm sure the moment I get one I will stare at it in wonder...right before closing the door and letting someone else clear the dishwasher.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
McCain just keeping it real and being honest, Palin supporters go apes***.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...-leno/#comments

I think shortly after he picked Palin, he realized he made a HUGE mistake based on advise from people who were supposed to single out the best possible candidate. But, he had to put forward a strong front, so he fought on, even after it became clear she was no where NEAR ready for the job. What was TRUELY startling about the Palin pick was the #3 reason who his advisers suggested her: "wow... just look at her". If you #3 reason is her looks, that's a loosing proposition.