The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Well, I personally think it's pretty silly to assume the universe and life etc. appeared out of nowhere. I just can't see the earth being a few thousand years old though. Why would God just f*** with us like that?

Time is what our definition of time is. Who knows what "time" really is from a God standpoint?

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
I think its simply the fact that people take the Bible, a written work of man, far too literally and selectively.

I keep getting told that God wrote the Bible.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
Time is what our definition of time is. Who knows what "time" really is from a God standpoint?

Which is why its silly to try to apply some earth-based date to the beginning of time. It is just second-guessing the very God you are crediting with it. This is why facts and evidence give us the HOW and WHEN and WHERE picture, allowing us to marry our faith or beliefs to history in answering the question of WHY.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
You can attempt to carbon-date anything but you'll get meaningless results if there's not carbon in the thing you're dating.

You can date rock using various other radiometric dating techniques that don't involve carbon.

edit: also, 12-15k years still doubles your timescale.

Carbon-dating in particular is also a very, very difficult task, even today. Especially if you're attempting it on something with very low amounts of carbon, like a silicified bone. You can get a mixture between modern carbon and any fossilized carbon in the the actual sample just by touching it, or by exposing it to the atmosphere, or by wearing perfume, especially if you aren't ridiculously careful in how you collect and prepare your sample. Especially if you go back to a measurement that gives 15kyr (that's 3 half lives of C-14 - that means 12.5% of the original C-14 would still be remaining). And the worst part is...the assumption that C-14 is constant in the atmosphere is routinely violated. It goes up and down. Back to about 2000 years ago or so we can calibrate what the atmosphere was doing because we have actual samples that we can date through other ways (annual bands in tree rings or corals). Before that, your age winds up being very dependent on your model for what the atmosphere was doing at the time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Carbon-dating in particular is also a very, very difficult task, even today. Especially if you're attempting it on something with very low amounts of carbon, like a silicified bone. You can get a mixture between modern carbon and any fossilized carbon in the the actual sample just by touching it, or by exposing it to the atmosphere, or by wearing perfume, especially if you aren't ridiculously careful in how you collect and prepare your sample. Especially if you go back to a measurement that gives 15kyr (that's 3 half lives of C-14 - that means 12.5% of the original C-14 would still be remaining). And the worst part is...the assumption that C-14 is constant in the atmosphere is routinely violated. It goes up and down. Back to about 2000 years ago or so we can calibrate what the atmosphere was doing because we have actual samples that we can date through other ways (annual bands in tree rings or corals). Before that, your age winds up being very dependent on your model for what the atmosphere was doing at the time.

This was the reasoning used to dismiss Sandia Man, at first, until they started finding other similarly old bones in other parts of the continent. They claimed the C-dating used was thrown off by, as I recall, something odd in the rocks of the mountain where they found the cave remains.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)

Right, my point exactly. I have no idea what God thinks, or how his stream of consciousness functions. Or if he even cares about "time" at all.

LOL

Cambridge Cop Accidentally Arrests Henry Louis Gates Again During White House Meeting

WASHINGTON—Upon arriving late to his meeting with President Barack Obama and famed African-American intellectual Henry Louis Gates, Cambridge police officer James Crowley once again detained the distinguished Harvard scholar after failing to recognize the man he had arrested just two weeks earlier, White House sources reported Thursday. "When I entered the Oval Office, I observed an unidentified black male sitting near Mr. Obama, and in the interest of the president's safety, I attempted to ascertain the individual's business at the White House," Crowley said in a sworn statement following the arrest. “The suspect then became uncooperative and verbally abusive. I had no choice but to apprehend him at the scene for disorderly conduct.” Witnesses said that Sgt. Crowley, failing to recognize Gates on their flight to Logan Airport, arrested the tenured professor in midair, once again at the baggage claim, and twice during their shared cab ride back to Cambridge.

LINK

There is a new "birth certificate" going around the internet claiming to be the Kenyan Birth Certificate of Barack Obama...

The latest development in the Obama "birther" conspiracy is the emergence of a "Kenyan birth certificate" for the president, put online by movement maven Orly Taitz.

Oddly, the same people who are so skeptical of Obama's Hawaii birth certificate are willing to accept this new document despite many flaws, documented by the Washington Independent's Dave Weigel and Markos Moulitas.

Here are just some of the flaws:

• Kenya was a Dominion the date this certificate was allegedly issued and would not become a republic for 8 months.
  • Mombasa belonged to Zanzibar when Obama was born, not Kenya.
  • Obama's father's village would be nearer to Nairobi, not Mombasa.
  • The number 47O44-- 47 is Obama's age when he became president, followed by the letter O (not a zero) followed by 44--he is the 44th president.
  • EF Lavender is a laundry detergent.

In spite of the document's many problems, Taitz has submitted it to a court as part of her case against the president.

"I'm forcing the issue, where Obama will have to respond," she told World Net Daily.

"Before, they said, 'You don't have anything backing your claims,'" Taitz explained. "Now I have something. In fact, I have posted on the Internet more than Obama has. My birth certificate actually has signatures."

First, the hospital is Coast Provincial General Hospital (sometimes said to be Coast Province General Hospital), not Coast General Hospital.

Second, Kenya was a Dominion the date this certificate was allegedly issued and would not become a republic for 8 months.

Third, Mombasa belonged to Zanzibar when Obama was born, not Kenya.

Fourth, Obama's father's village would be nearer to Nairobi, not Mombasa.

Fifth, the number 47O44-- 47 is Obama's age when he became president, followed by the letter O (not a zero) followed by 44--he is the 44th president.

Sixth, EF Lavender is a laundry detergent.

Seventh, would a nation with a large number of Muslims actually say "Christian name" (as opposed to name) on the birth certificate?

Eigth, his father (born in 1961) would have been 24 or 25 when he was born and not 26.

Ninth, it was called the "Central Nyanza District," not Nyanza Province. The regions were changed to provinces in 1970.

2. The document is dated 5 August 1964 -- a Saturday. From what I can find, Kenyan guvmint offices close early on Friday and are closed on Saturdays. Oooops [...]

5. This piece of paper certainly looks nice and new to be 45 years old -- unless the Kenyans were using acid-free paper back in 1964. Heh, heh.

6. Finally, Officials of Coast Province General Hospital reported: “We do not have computerized records going back to the 1960’s and can only sort through our archives by hand,” Dr. Christopher Mwanga, an administrator at the Mombasa hospital tells GLOBE. “We have searched for all the names of babies born on Aug. 4, 1961, and have not found the name of Barack Hussein Obama. That is all I can tell you.”

LINK

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Also, I dont know what language they speak in Kenya, but I assume it is not english? If so, why would the birth certificate be in english?

English is the official language. They were controlled by the British until the 60's.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Also, I dont know what language they speak in Kenya, but I assume it is not english? If so, why would the birth certificate be in english?

Because about 50 years ago Kenya and America where one land mass due to plate tectonics.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I like the idea that this was made as a parody of birthers to get them to look even more stupid. That's about the only way it makes sense.

I hope so. This is going to get fun.

The "47O44" Thing is REALLY sneaky. LOL!

If it's legit, doesnt it prove he really is "the one" who was predestined to be president? I mean, what are the odds? lol

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Oh you silly Virginians...

Here's what PPP communications director Tom Jensen wrote on Friday: "In a result making me want to bang my head against the table, the first round of calls for our Virginia poll this afternoon founds voters in the state almost evenly split on whether they thought the President was born in the US."

The full result for this question will be released on Wednesday. Jensen added that PPP will be polling North Carolina this week -- the state where they are based -- and will be sure to put in a question about this.

Late Update: Some early numbers of the state's self-identified Republican voters: A 41% plurality say Obama was not born in the United States, to 32% who say he was, and 27% who are not sure.