The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
Yes, I understand that saying Grayson and Palin are equally douchy is trolling.

Looks like someone needs to go look up what trolling actually is.

Fail.

Honestly you are free to post this comment, but by virtue of where it is, you need to be expecting a certain kind of response and/or shouldn't expect anyone to really take your comment seriously.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
Important nationally because Texas is a very large consumer of textbooks, and thus it sets many of the standards for the rest of the country.

Things that are in the new Texas board of education standards:

"Describe the causes and key organizations and individuals of the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schafly, the Contract with America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority, and the National Rifle Association"

"analyze the decline of the U.S. dollar including abandonment of the gold standard."

""laws of nature and nature's God"

(Direct quotes)

Also in there, an analysis of the book "The road to Serfdom", a major libertarian text.

Things stripped out of this version:

Thomas Jefferson.

The entire word "Democratic".

There's at least 1 more hearing on these. The sad thing is...this version is probably an improvement on the last one.

Seriously though how in the f*** do you teach American history without Thomas Jefferson, you know the guy that wrote that... umm... what's it called... oh the Declaration of Independence? I actually know the answer, it's because, despite the fact that they've insisted it for years, Jefferson didn't intend for this to be a "Christian nation" and they're replacing him with pre-Enlightenment figures that are more sufficiently religious so they can make kids think that is where our political philosophy comes from. However... umm no. They're just Photoshopping history.

I really don't mind kids being taught that this is a republic (because it is) but it's pretty foul to completely remove references to "democracy" or us being "democratic," that is pretty naked partisan politics. It would be too much to ask why the Democratic party has that name and the Republican party has theirs (the fact that today's Republican party doesn't resemble any kind of actual conservative principles notwithstanding) though. That's "liberal bias" or something.

The more I think about this the more pissed off I get.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
?? What'd I miss?

He's talking about how Texas textbooks are going to emphasize the decline of the dollar and the move off the gold standard (kind of ignores all the other reasons that happened and was necessary to do)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
He's talking about how Texas textbooks are going to emphasize the decline of the dollar and the move off the gold standard (kind of ignores all the other reasons that happened and was necessary to do)

Oh... gotcha. I can't wait for my kids to learn BS that's BS.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
the obsession with the declining dollar...an instant clue that the person is not worth talking to.

"It's a pleasure today to be allowed to address the Federal Reserve board of governors. I'd like to start off with a quote from a friend of mine.."

Remember the shooting near the Pentagon a couple weeks ago, and the Las Vegas courthouse shooting back in January? Both of the shooters should have been legally prevented from owning guns; one was mentally ill, the other was a convicted felon. Both of them were able to purchase guns...both of which had been seized in Memphis, TN and sold off by the police there. There's not solid records on both of them, but it sure looks like both of these folks were easily able to procure weapons thanks to the gun show loophole.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Who is Dennis, and voting on what?

What's up with the unexplained posts lately?

Kucinich was holding out on voting for health care reform (he voted no the first bill, a much more liberal bill, which he said wasn't far enough), and then today at 10 am he declared he'd vote yes.

It still boggles my mind that the house has had such trouble passing a more conservative bill than the one they ALREADY PASSED. ridiculous

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Kucinich was holding out on voting for health care reform (he voted no the first bill, a much more liberal bill, which he said wasn't far enough), and then today at 10 am he declared he'd vote yes.

It still boggles my mind that the house has had such trouble passing a more conservative bill than the one they ALREADY PASSED. ridiculous

My impression is that the reasons include these:

--The Senate bill has some particularly expensive "incentives" for specific Senators, and voting for that would not only make them look like they are complicit with the B.S., it also doesn't benefit themselves in anyway.

--Its the Senate - and there is a rivalry of sorts, and the House likes to feel like the big kid sometimes.

--The wave of angst against the bill has strengthened recently, so the populist types are more likely to now want to say no.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
OK, I thought that wasn't settled until reconciliation was complete.

The House is doing it all in 1 bill, remember? If they're planning to vote this week, then that bill is written and is at the CBO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
The House is doing it all in 1 bill, remember? If they're planning to vote this week, then that bill is written and is at the CBO.

Yeah, but... OK, I'm just confused by the whole thing. I thought the House was accepting both bills via this "deeming" procedure, then sending to Reconciliation for a final version.