The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Good debate questions shouldn't intentionally set up candidates in a lose-lose scenario

I think they should, especially if they're structured so that the options are "anger a large majority of middle of the road people" versus "angering your party's base".

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
So when the news shows a bunch of Muslims jumping up and down in front of a crashed US helicopter, or there are mass celebrations for attacks on US (or generally, the West) targets, I can assume you'll be fine with me concluding that all Muslims are terrorists that hate America and the West and want them to die. Yes?

The crowd last night roundly booed Ron Paul for saying "This whole idea that the whole Muslim world is responsible for this, and they’re attacking us because we’re free and prosperous, that is just not true.”

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
The crowd last night roundly booed Ron Paul for saying "This whole idea that the whole Muslim world is responsible for this, and they’re attacking us because we’re free and prosperous, that is just not true.”

Ok? You're still stereotyping a LOT of people based on a very small minority. But this is nothing new. You guys have been doing this since the summer of 2009.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
Ok? You're still stereotyping a LOT of people based on a very small minority. But this is nothing new. You guys have been doing this since the summer of 2009.

More like the fall of 2001 when Bush hit his ridiculous approval rating.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)

And, just to note...we've had an ample supply of these people to go off of since 2008 (you can go back farther to the "Kill him!" and "Terrorist!" yells at the Palin rallies). It's really impressive how well traveled this small minority is where they show up all the time and keep filling audiences.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
And, just to note...we've had an ample supply of these people to go off of since 2008 (you can go back farther to the "Kill him!" and "Terrorist!" yells at the Palin rallies). It's really impressive how well traveled this small minority is where they show up all the time and keep filling audiences.

We saw the same whack jobs at anti-war rallies call for Bush and Cheney's deaths during the Bush administration. We have seen far left nuts blow up car dealerships in the name of environmentalism. The big difference is that one group is painted as representing the whole, and the other group is painted as a fringe. So much so that people now believe they are the mainstream.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)

You've got incredibly select few occasions, some nothing but rumor, to fit the liberal narrative of the Tea Party being racist anarchists. I hardly call that a generally description of a "party" that's millions strong.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Views%20about%20Islam%20and%20Muslim%20A

That nicely illustrates exactly what I was saying earlier... yes there is a distinct flavor of anger and hate in the Tea Party crowd, but it isn't as if it's 90% compared to 10%... its a smallish, but still noticeable, difference between them and other slices of political society.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
We saw the same whack jobs at anti-war rallies call for Bush and Cheney's deaths during the Bush administration. We have seen far left nuts blow up car dealerships in the name of environmentalism. The big difference is that one group is painted as representing the whole, and the other group is painted as a fringe. So much so that people now believe they are the mainstream.

ELF never succeeded in inter-party primary challenges and forming a strong caucus in the HoR. The big difference is that one represents a significant political movement that had a huge impact on the 2010 elections and the 2012 GOP primaries while the other really does represent a tiny minority fringe that never gained any support.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)

If a Democratic politician stood up on stage and said how he supported blowing up car dealerships, would a Democratic crowd cheer or boo? If a Democrat stood on stage and said that a polluter ought to die, would the crowd cheer or boo? If a Democratic politician was given a hypothetical involving jailing someone for pollution, would the crowd yell out "Let him die!"?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
That nicely illustrates exactly what I was saying earlier... yes there is a distinct flavor of anger and hate in the Tea Party crowd, but it isn't as if it's 90% compared to 10%... its a smallish, but still noticeable, difference between them and other slices of political society.

It's over 50% for all 3 categories. That's a clear majority.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)

There's not a huge gap between tea partiers and republicans, but there is a huge gap between the tea party and every other group.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Lol, I like how you get "hate Muslims" out of that.

- American Muslims want to establish Shari'a law

- Muslims NOT important part of US religious community

- Islam at odds with American values

You're telling me that people who think these things would generally like Muslims? I'd have a hard time believing that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
It's over 50% for all 3 categories. That's a clear majority.

Uh huh, and the same questions got 30 or 40% support from the general public. So like I said, difference yes, more hate and anger yes, dominated by it no... and those questions are only snapshots and show more ignorance than actual hatred, IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
If a Democratic politician stood up on stage and said how he supported blowing up car dealerships, would a Democratic crowd cheer or boo? If a Democrat stood on stage and said that a polluter ought to die, would the crowd cheer or boo? If a Democratic politician was given a hypothetical involving jailing someone for pollution, would the crowd yell out "Let him die!"?

Funny, Biden is still VP right?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Uh huh, and the same questions got 30 or 40% support from the general public. So like I said, difference yes, more hate and anger yes, dominated by it no... and those questions are only snapshots and show more ignorance than actual hatred, IMO.

But you and others were trying to make the case that it's just a couple of bad apples in the crowd, a negligible amount. It's clear that a majority of Tea Partiers feel this way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
- American Muslims want to establish Shari'a law

- Muslims NOT important part of US religious community

- Islam at odds with American values

You're telling me that people who think these things would generally like Muslims? I'd have a hard time believing that.

I have a hard time believing you'd make such a leap. None of those questions have anything to do with liking or disliking a group of people.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
I have a hard time believing you'd make such a leap. None of those questions have anything to do with liking or disliking a group of people.

Sure, thinking their religion is at odds with American values has nothing to do with liking that group or not.