• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
You do realize that Reagan was the first US president that turned the country from a creditor to a debtor, after this fail economy polices..? And what I mean is, we use to be able to lend to other countries, like China is now doing to us. Reagan's "Reaganonmics" stopped all of that.

Clinton was given a huge mess from the 12 years of Bush and Reagan.. and was able to end up with a surplus when he was finished. And a BJ as well LOL!

I will give you Reagan was a cheerleader, when we needed a leader. Carter told the country, look you can't spend your way to happiness, the country went FU and elected a guy who went.. sure you can. Carter told the truth, and the country, don't want to hear that we are in trouble.

Funny that now you advocating exactly that.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
You do realize that Reagan was the first US president that turned the country from a creditor to a debtor, after this fail economy polices..? And what I mean is, we use to be able to lend to other countries, like China is now doing to us. Reagan's "Reaganonmics" stopped all of that.

Clinton was given a huge mess from the 12 years of Bush and Reagan.. and was able to end up with a surplus when he was finished. And a BJ as well LOL!

I will give you Reagan was a cheerleader, when we needed a leader. Carter told the country, look you can't spend your way to happiness, the country went FU and elected a guy who went.. sure you can. Carter told the truth, and the country, don't want to hear that we are in trouble.

And you realize our country was started with massive debt right?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
What does that have to do with Reagan's failures?

I'm correcting your ridiculous statement that Reagan was the first to make the US a debtor. That's simply not true. Not sure why you have such a hard-on for dismissing Reagan as a good President, but at least make truthful statements to support your argument.

I'm correcting your ridiculous statement that Reagan was the first to make the US a debtor. That's simply not true. Not sure why you have such a hard-on for dismissing Reagan as a good President, but at least make truthful statements to support your argument.

:lolhitting .. Thanks I need that!

Almost as if on cue, one of the interstate highway bridges across the Ohio river from Louisville to indiana has been completely shut down after an inspection found multiple cracks in its structure. 24 hours before this bridge closed, the President cited a bridge between Kentucky and Ohio as in need of repair.

Kentucky, of course, is the home state of the Senate Minority Leader.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
Almost as if on cue, one of the interstate highway bridges across the Ohio river from Louisville to indiana has been completely shut down after an inspection found multiple cracks in its structure. 24 hours before this bridge closed, the President cited a bridge between Kentucky and Ohio as in need of repair.

Kentucky, of course, is the home state of the Senate Minority Leader.

I love the completely irrelevant connection there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
They didn't have a federal income tax until the 20th century.

And see how well that worked. Originally, under the Articles of Confederation, the government wasn't allowed to collect taxes at all. It was strictly a local matter.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Someone should point that out to the Tea Party.

I think if you gave them the choice between getting rid of the system and taxes we have now, and going forward the way we are, they would choose to eliminate most taxes and shutter most of the government.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
You could say he was the first modern President to do so.

You can quibble with this a little, there were some Vietnam-era deficits run, but "Consistently, every year increasing deficit as a fraction of GDP" turns right at 1981.

ReceiptsOutlaysFY2000.gif

National-Debt-GDP.gif

(Note, 2nd graph was pre economic collapse, so the last couple yeras do not appear).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
You can quibble with this a little, there were some Vietnam-era deficits run, but "Consistently, every year increasing deficit as a fraction of GDP" turns right at 1981.

ReceiptsOutlaysFY2000.gif

National-Debt-GDP.gif

(Note, 2nd graph was pre economic collapse, so the last couple yeras do not appear).

That is one of the things that irritates me about some of the conservatives currently, who want to blame the deficits and debt as being a new thing under Obama, or that it is a liberal policy problem. Reagan (and the Congress he worked with) was the first modern Prez to take us heavily into consistent deficits, and Bush II (2000-2008, mostly with GOP majorities in Congress) was the Presidency that was most solely responsible for the current deficit producers. Then there are the things that are not even really under Presidential or effective Congressional control, like SS and Medicare. Obama's stimulus money pales in comparison.