Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
The Y2HH definition of Twitter -- the convergence of narcissism and boredom.

That's a pretty accurate definition. But I don't think it's the worst type of narcissism -- if you have 1 million followers or whatever, apparently people what to hear what you're doing/think.

And if you're a normal person with not that many followers, well, do whatever the hell you want anyway.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
575087_424497800895029_200137333331078_1

The question is what's actually in the bill, as the title of the bill means nothing but a cheap/easy headline for sensationalistic purposes. Such as this.

I don't actually know the details of the bill in question...but what this does, on the surface, is attempt to make it look like those that didn't vote for it "want violence against women", when that may not be the actual case, and probably isn't the case.

Edit: This is a little additional information on this

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/politics/sen...buse/index.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/27/us/polit...n-act.html?_r=1

Doesn't appear they voted against it because they are pro-violence toward women...but that's exactly what that Think Progress info-graphic attempted to portray.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
I actually have a copy of the bill and it consists of one sentence. It reads:

"Violence against women should be illegal."

If only bills were written that plain and simple that everyone could easily understand what was being voted on...if only.

Obama can be a major douche.

President Obama gave an interview to Rolling Stone‘s Jann Wenner this week and was asked about his administration’s aggressive crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries, including ones located in states where medical marijuana is legal and which are licensed by the state; this policy is directly contrary to Obama’s campaign pledge to not “use Justice Department resources to try and circumvent state laws about medical marijuana.” Here’s part of the President’s answer:

I never made a commitment that
s
omehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-
s
cale producer
s
and operator
s
of marijuana
and the rea
s
on i
s
, becau
s
e it
s
again
s
t federal law. I can
t nullify congre
s
s
ional law.
I can
t a
s
k
the Ju
s
tice Department to
s
ay,
Ignore completely a federal law that
s
on the boo
k
s
. . . .

The only ten
s
ion that
s
come up
and thi
s
get
s
hyped up a lot
i
s
a mur
k
y area where you have large-
s
cale, commercial operation
s
that may
s
upply medical marijuana u
s
er
s
, but in
s
ome ca
s
e
s
may al
s
o be
s
upplying recreational u
s
er
s
. In that
s
ituation, we put the Ju
s
tice Department in a very difficult place if we
re telling them,
Thi
s
i
s
s
uppo
s
ed to be again
s
t the law, but we want you to turn the other way.
That
s
not
s
omething we
re going to do.

Aside from the fact that Obama’s claim about the law is outright false — as Jon Walker conclusively documents, the law vests the Executive Branch with precisely the discretion he falsely claims he does not have to decide how drugs are classified — it’s just extraordinary that Obama is affirming the “principle” that he can’t have the DOJ “turn the othe way” in the face of lawbreaking. As an emailer just put it to me: “Interesting how this principle holds for prosecuting [medical] marijuana producers in the war on drugs, but not for prosecuting US officials in the war on terror. Or telecommunications companies for illegal spying. Or Wall Street banks for mortgage fraud.”

That’s about as vivid an expression of the President’s agenda, and his sense of justice, and the state of the Rule of Law in America, as one can imagine. The same person who directed the DOJ to shield torturers and illegal government eavesdroppers from criminal investigation, and who voted to retroactively immunize the nation’s largest telecom giants when they got caught enabling criminal spying on Americans, and whose DOJ has failed to indict a single Wall Street executive in connection with the 2008 financial crisis or mortgage fraud scandal, suddenly discovers the imperatives of The Rule of Law when it comes to those, in accordance with state law, providing medical marijuana to sick people with a prescription.

via

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
Obama can be a major douche.

via

In addition to what Jon Walker said, he CAN explicitly tell the Justice department to not enforce the law, since they're part of the Executive branch. Well, assuming their authority on that issue is purely executive; I don't think it would cross over into legislative powers in this context. Granted, this is off the top of my head and I'm tired, so it might be wrong.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
Isn't that what he explicitly did with DOMA?

No, he didn't stop enforcing DOMA. He chose to stop defending challenges in court to the validity of DOMA. That would be two completely different things.

Mitt Rmoney hired a foreign policy adviser who worked under John Bolton at the U.N.

Ideal fit for the campaign's foreign policy areas, where they've mostly brought back people from the Bush administration.

This adviser also happened to be gay.

Under Republican pressure, this spokesman has now been asked to resign...solely because he was gay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Mitt Rmoney hired a foreign policy adviser who worked under John Bolton at the U.N.

Ideal fit for the campaign's foreign policy areas, where they've mostly brought back people from the Bush administration.

This adviser also happened to be gay.

Under Republican pressure, this spokesman has now been asked to resign...solely because he was gay.

I'm not saying this is true, but the article you linked specifically states it was Grenell's choice, and even that "senior officials from the Romney campaign and respected Republicans not on the campaign contacted Ric Grenell over the weekend in an attempt to persuade him not to leave the campaign. Those were unsuccessful."

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 1, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
I'm not saying this is true, but the article you linked specifically states it was Grenell's choice, and even that "senior officials from the Romney campaign and respected Republicans not on the campaign contacted Ric Grenell over the weekend in an attempt to persuade him not to leave the campaign. Those were unsuccessful."

Ok, rewording, that's fair.

He resigned under outside pressure that only came about because of his sexual orientation, for no other reason other than that, and I don't know how you interpret that other than establishing a new standard that homosexuals cannot serve in a high level position in a Republican campaign without angering the base.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Ok, rewording, that's fair.

He resigned under outside pressure that only came about because of his sexual orientation, for no other reason other than that, and I don't know how you interpret that other than establishing a new standard that homosexuals cannot serve in a high level position in a Republican campaign without angering the base.

Oh, I agree that it's terrible he felt he had to resign and that such pressure even existed in the first place. I guess it just slightly refocuses the attack from Romney's campaign specifically to a significant portion of the GOP in general.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
A Good Cartoon--Re-imagining right-wing cartoons

LisaSandPenises.jpg

There's more, these are hilarious.

lol

tumblr_m36gbijSyb1rr5t33o1_500.jpg

This civic-minded gentleman is making sure that even though these Americans will be traveling in Mexico during election time, they will still be able to participate in American democracy. A good and not at all racist cartoon.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 1, 2012 -> 07:51 PM)
Oh, I agree that it's terrible he felt he had to resign and that such pressure even existed in the first place. I guess it just slightly refocuses the attack from Romney's campaign specifically to a significant portion of the GOP in general.

It's probably worth pointing out in reply that even though the Romney campaign is saying they privately tried to convince him to stay on...they made no public comment or expression of support for him, and made no public efforts to call out the bigots who said he couldn't be a part of that campaign solely because he was gay.