The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
If someone drove a van filled with 800 pounds of pot drove into busse woods, tried to evade police, crashed said van, struggled with police, ended up getting shot in in rear - i would be more worried about additional smugglers in the area rather than the officer that shot said suspect.

but thats just me.

Especially if there was a magical place that they could run to, and probably not be touched for their crimes in the back of the woods somewhere...

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
I stopped at a gas station saturday night to grab some beer and when i got to the counter I saw Barack Obama t-shirts, Barack Obama playing cards and President Obama trading cards. I just shook my head and laughed.

There were Barack Obama air fresheners at the inauguration.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Don't forget the Beanie Babies.....Beanie babies

And for when hihs speeches don't give you that tingly feeling running down your leg, there is always the Obama sextoy! Then you can get a tingling feeling somewhere else!

http://www.bakelblog.com/nobodys_business/...gimme-an-o.html

Brings new meaning to the O in Obama.

In 2001, during the confirmation of John Ashcroft to be attorney general, Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee forced a one-week delay in the committee's vote on Ashcroft, saying there had not been enough time to answer all the questions about the nomination. On January 24, 2001, the Washington Post reported the story under the following headline:

Vote On Ashcroft Is Delayed A Week; Democrats Cite Need for More Review

Yesterday, Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee did precisely the same thing for the nomination of Eric Holder to be attorney general. Today, the Washington Post is reporting the story under the following headline:

Republicans Obstruct Holder's Path to Justice Department

WHAT MEDIA BIAS?

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
In 2001, during the confirmation of John Ashcroft to be attorney general, Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee forced a one-week delay in the committee's vote on Ashcroft, saying there had not been enough time to answer all the questions about the nomination. On January 24, 2001, the Washington Post reported the story under the following headline:

Vote On Ashcroft Is Delayed A Week; Democrats Cite Need for More Review

Yesterday, Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee did precisely the same thing for the nomination of Eric Holder to be attorney general. Today, the Washington Post is reporting the story under the following headline:

Republicans Obstruct Holder's Path to Justice Department

WHAT MEDIA BIAS?

That's actually a pretty good one. I'll give you that, no question.

One thing that frustrates me about newspapers (and frustrates journalists as well, I might add) is that often times, the person who writes the article doesn't get to write the headline. That is done by someone else, or some committee.

Garrison Keillor writes:

One simply wanted to be present. Freezing cold or not, a crowd of 2 million, whatever—solemn warnings about tight security, long lines, traffic jams, cell phones not working. In the end, one wanted to be there on the Mall before the Capitol on Tuesday at noon amid the jubilant throng and see the man take the oath of office—our first genuine author-president.

Still smoking OBAMAJUANA.

What about Jefferson, Wilson , Hoover, Kennedy T. Roosevelt, to mention a few? Give me a break already.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Garrison Keillor writes:

One simply wanted to be present. Freezing cold or not, a crowd of 2 million, whatever—solemn warnings about tight security, long lines, traffic jams, cell phones not working. In the end, one wanted to be there on the Mall before the Capitol on Tuesday at noon amid the jubilant throng and see the man take the oath of office—our first genuine author-president.

the Obama coverage is getting so bad. I mean the media has been in the tank for the guy the whole time, but it has currently reached joke status.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
the Obama coverage is getting so bad. I mean the media has been in the tank for the guy the whole time, but it has currently reached joke status.

Garrison Keillor is not "the media". He's purely an entertainer, and I don't think anyone sees him as anything but that.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
The court system found them guilty and imposed a sentence. Those of us that live, work, and play in this area are nervous about agents that may feel empowered to shoot at will.

The court system found them guilty on the testimony of a drug smuggler who said he wasn't packing. These are the he said-he said situations where you have to believe the officers' side of the story imo.

As a lib who has followed this case fairly closely, I'd like to congratulate Bush for getting one right. He should've pardoned them, but a commutation will do for now.

Is anyone else irritated with the media coverage of the Obama family's fashion statements? I mean, seriously. If you are a fashion network or gossip channel or something, then I get having a special on Michelle Obama's dresses. But if I go to CNN or a major network or newspaper site, I want the news. And long diatribes and discussions of Michelle's dress does not f***ing qualify as news.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Is anyone else irritated with the media coverage of the Obama family's fashion statements? I mean, seriously. If you are a fashion network or gossip channel or something, then I get having a special on Michelle Obama's dresses. But if I go to CNN or a major network or newspaper site, I want the news. And long diatribes and discussions of Michelle's dress does not f***ing qualify as news.

They're seriously still talking about that? Or are they talking about other things she wears?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)

24 hour cable news will be the death of journalism in this country.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
24 hour cable news will be the death of journalism in this country.

24 hour news wasn't that bad. It was the invention of the hosted program on those networks that has really killed it. When people like Sean Hannity and Keith Olberman became synonomous with the news, it was over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
24 hour news wasn't that bad. It was the invention of the hosted program on those networks that has really killed it. When people like Sean Hannity and Keith Olberman became synonomous with the news, it was over.

I agree. It was the shift from news to commentary that has had the biggest negative effect. Its now hard to find, ya know, actual news. Its mostly talking heads talking about the news, and I don't want to see events through their lens. I want to see it for myself. Just give me the facts, please.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/2...ked-by-discord/

CURL: Obama press aide gets bashed in debut

Joseph Curl (Contact)

The White House press operation got off to a fumbling and stumbling start Thursday, with the day's opening briefers insisting on being identified only as "senior administration officials," followed swiftly by the new president's spokesman accidently outing one of the secret aides less than two minutes into his first White House briefing.

Although President Obama swept into office pledging transparency and a new air of openness, the press hammered spokesman Robert Gibbs for nearly an hour over a slate of perceived secretive slights that have piled up quickly for the new administration. It wasn't pretty.

"Why did the administration believe it was important for the American people not to know the name of the two senior administration officials who briefed us this morning on Guantanamo?" one reporter asked in the packed and steaming hot briefing room just off the White House West Wing.

"I hope that you all found the exercise that we did this morning helpful," Mr. Gibbs offered helpfully.

"Do you know," the reporter followed, "that you've used ... one of those senior officials' first names several times in this briefing?" A very long pause ensued.

"I do," the spokesman said, his cornflower-colored tie suddenly looking a bit too tight. "Are we allowed to repeat that name?" Mr. Gibbs answered by citing as precedent of Brazilian soccer stars being known only by a single name - sure to one day be a classic White House non-answer.

Then it got uglier.

"How is it transparent," another reporter asked, "when you control the only image of the re-swearing - there's nobody in there but four print reporters, there's no stills, there's no television? And the only recording that comes out, as I understand it, is one that a reporter made, not one that the White House supplied."