Manny Ramirez

iamshack

Theo Epstein has said he will deal Manny Ramirez if Manny would waive his 10 and 5 rights. Manny has since said he will waive his no trade rights should the Red Sox work out a trade.

With Ortiz just coming back and still a bit of a risk because of the injured wrist, might the Red Sox be interested in a package built around Konerko? Possibly something involving Poreda and Getz? I know Manny has quite a bit more value than Paulie right now, but considering Manny's $20 million options in 09' and 10' may need to be picked up in order to make a trade work, as well as Boston's desire to really rid themselves of him this time, I think his value comes down a bit.

Swish could then move to 1b, Quentin could move to center, with Manny taking over in left.

Would that OF defense be decent enough for this to be a positive impact? Would Manny's antics scare Kenny and Ozzie away? Would the Red Sox trade him within the American League?

Would this lineup scare the s*** out of other teams?

1) OC

2) AJ

3) Manny

4) Q

5) Thome

6) Dye

7) Swisher

8) Alexei

9) Crede/Uribe/whomever

Thoughts?

Sorry, bored on a Sunday after a loss...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year they say they want to trade him. Now that the Yankees have been heating up they arent going to trade him. Even if they wanted to theres no team thats gonna take on his contract and give up what the Red Sox would want for him. This isnt a white flag trade, they plan on being in the play offs and arent gonna trade him for garbage.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
Theo Epstein has said he will deal Manny Ramirez if Manny would waive his 10 and 5 rights. Manny has since said he will waive his no trade rights should the Red Sox work out a trade.

With Ortiz just coming back and still a bit of a risk because of the injured wrist, might the Red Sox be interested in a package built around Konerko? Possibly something involving Poreda and Getz? I know Manny has quite a bit more value than Paulie right now, but considering Manny's $20 million options in 09' and 10' may need to be picked up in order to make a trade work, as well as Boston's desire to really rid themselves of him this time, I think his value comes down a bit.

Swish could then move to 1b, Quentin could move to center, with Manny taking over in left.

Would that OF defense be decent enough for this to be a positive impact? Would Manny's antics scare Kenny and Ozzie away? Would the Red Sox trade him within the American League?

Would this lineup scare the s*** out of other teams?

1) OC

2) AJ

3) Manny

4) Q

5) Thome

6) Dye

7) Swisher

8) Alexei

9) Crede/Uribe/whomever

Thoughts?

Sorry, bored on a Sunday after a loss...

Manny Ramirez is one of the big sluggers of this game today, but I just don't see him bringing chemistry to this team other than his own. I'd pass on him.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Red Sox have the AL All-Star starting 1B. I don't think they're looking to downgrade at that position.

Obviously, but what if Ortiz's wrist doesn't hold up? What if he reinjures it and has to miss the remainder of the season? They could then plug in Paulie at DH and swap he and Youk occasionally to keep Paulie sharp defensively.

Let's face it, the Red Sox are not going to improve their on-the-field team by trading Manny Ramirez. Which is probably the reason they have always changed their minds when considering dealing him in the past. But if they really think dealing him would be addition by subtraction, I think taking back Konerko and some decent prospects would be about as good an offer as they might get.

Who knows how badly they truly want him gone, but they sure are acting as if they do this time...

Edited by iamshack

The only thing left for Manny to do in his career is to DH. If the Sox dont exercise Thome's option next year and trade Paulie i would highly consider him for DH next year as a free agent. I highly doubt Boston trades him, nibody is going to want to take on that option.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Obviously, but what if Ortiz's wrist doesn't hold up? What if he reinjures it and has to miss the remainder of the season? They could then plug in Paulie at DH and swap he and Youk occasionally to keep Paulie sharp defensively.

Let's face it, the Red Sox are not going to improve their on-the-field team by trading Manny Ramirez. Which is probably the reason they have always changed their minds when considering dealing him in the past. But if they really think dealing him would be addition by subtraction, I think taking back Konerko and some decent prospects would be about as good an offer as they might get.

Who knows how badly they truly want him gone, but they sure are acting as if they do this time...

David Ortiz is healthy and playing right now, assuming he does eventually re-aggravate his wrist injury what do they do with Konerko in the meantime? That's an awfully old, expensive, risky and well pretty bad backup plan/bench player. I don't think you acquire a 32 year old, $28M player with a .672 OPS and NO versatility to act as an insurance policy for a seemingly healthy player.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
The only thing left for Manny to do in his career is to DH. If the Sox dont exercise Thome's option next year and trade Paulie i would highly consider him for DH next year as a free agent. I highly doubt Boston trades him, nibody is going to want to take on that option.

I don't see the option as being that big of a burden, except for the fact that the team that ultimately acquires Manny will have had to plan to do so and I am not sure that many teams now could do so on such little notice.

However, we are one of the teams that could.

I really think we match up with them about as good as anyone. It's just a question of whether they would even deal him to us if we wanted him...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
David Ortiz is healthy and playing right now, assuming he does eventually re-aggravate his wrist injury what do they do with Konerko in the meantime? That's an awfully old, expensive, risky and well pretty bad backup plan/bench player. I don't think you acquire a 32 year old, $28M player with a .672 OPS and NO versatility to act as an insurance policy for a seemingly healthy player.

Wrist injuries are extremely difficult to come back from. I'm not saying he'll re-injure it, just that there is a reasonable probability that he may.

And your analysis of Paulie is valid, outside of the fact that you didn't mention any of the positive things he has done in his career. You just rattle off this year's numbers as if that is Paulie in a vacuum. I'm not saying Paulie has a ton of value right now, but he certainly has more than you give him credit for.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
I don't see the option as being that big of a burden, except for the fact that the team that ultimately acquires Manny will have had to plan to do so and I am not sure that many teams now could do so on such little notice.

However, we are one of the teams that could.

I really think we match up with them about as good as anyone. It's just a question of whether they would even deal him to us if we wanted him...

If they actually make a push to trade him, they're going to try to get him out of the AL first, and I don't think they'd want to deal him to an AL contender, especially. And I very much doubt they'd want PK. I don't think we match up very well, at all.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
If they actually make a push to trade him, they're going to try to get him out of the AL first, and I don't think they'd want to deal him to an AL contender, especially. And I very much doubt they'd want PK. I don't think we match up very well, at all.

Well I obviously knew this topic wasn't going to get much support, but jeesh, you guys are just no fun.

You think we aren't that good of a match until you start researching their other possibilities....

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Let's face it, the Red Sox are not going to improve their on-the-field team by trading Manny Ramirez.

Which is why I call BS on Epstein. They're less than a year removed from a championship and are engaged in a three-way dogfight for first place in the East. You don't trade your best hitter in that situation, even if he is a massive headcase.

That said, I fully expect Manny to be moved this winter. He's declining as a hitter and I'm sure that the Red Sox are massively pissed about the incident with their secretary. And I expect Kenny to politely say, "No, thanks."

But what would they do with Konerko in the meantime? If he's splitting time with Youkilis at 1B until Ortiz gets hurt again then they're greatly hurting their offense by replacing Manny with an inferior talent in LF and taking away ABs from their .929 OPS 1B (who had a higher OPS than Konerko last year as well.)

It's just hard to talk positive about a guy who's still do $28M, posted a sub .850 OPS last season and is probably going to hit 8th or 9th tomorrow.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
But what would they do with Konerko in the meantime? If he's splitting time with Youkilis at 1B until Ortiz gets hurt again then they're greatly hurting their offense by replacing Manny with an inferior talent in LF and taking away ABs from their .929 OPS 1B (who had a higher OPS than Konerko last year as well.)

It's just hard to talk positive about a guy who's still do $28M, posted a sub .850 OPS last season and is probably going to hit 8th or 9th tomorrow.

They do what teams like the Red Sox and Yankees do: they sit his ass on the bench. They pinch hit him. They give him spot starts against guys Youk struggles against. This is the same team that had JD Drew on the bench. That took back Mike Lowell when everyone thought his career was over.

It's certainly not an ideal situation for them, but it certainly gives them some protection should Ortiz's wrist not hold up, and a very solid bat off the bench should it not.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Well I obviously knew this topic wasn't going to get much support, but jeesh, you guys are just no fun.

You think we aren't that good of a match until you start researching their other possibilities....

Not really. The Mets are in the NL, they need a corner outfield bat, and Manny won't b**** about going there. At least, it'll be the least possible b****ing. Still Manny being oh who gives a f***

There's about a .2% chance they actually trade him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
They do what teams like the Red Sox and Yankees do: they sit his ass on the bench. They pinch hit him. They give him spot starts against guys Youk struggles against. This is the same team that had JD Drew on the bench. That took back Mike Lowell when everyone thought his career was over.

It's certainly not an ideal situation for them, but it certainly gives them some protection should Ortiz's wrist not hold up, and a very solid bat off the bench should it not.

Instead of taking on a high risk, expensive player like Konerko couldn't they just agree to pay the Manny's salary for the rest of the season, trade him to a team that normally would not be able to afford him for some major league ready talent then go get Tex from Atlanta at the deadline?