Sox @ Twins 7-28

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First game is the biggest game of the series. We have our ace going and a win will guarantee the Sox being in first place after the series. Plus, the first game sets the tone for the series. GET 'EM. Please have Juan in tonight, too, even though I like Fields O, Juan is a superior defender. I would also put Anderson in CF, too. I believe even with those two in as bad as they our offensively, a contact pitcher like Mark, we need the great D, especially against a Twins team that feasts on mistakes.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)
First game is the biggest game of the series. We have our ace going and a win will guarantee the Sox being in first place after the series. Plus, the first game sets the tone for the series. GET 'EM. Please have Juan in tonight, too, even though I like Fields O, Juan is a superior defender. I would also put Anderson in CF, too. I believe even with those two in as bad as they our offensively, a contact pitcher like Mark, we need the great D, especially against a Twins team that feasts on mistakes.

Agreed!

Twins put the ball in play, bottom line.

I believe that Anderson and Wise and then Swisher and Konerko should platoon until somebody breaks out of it. Swisher and Konekro have been given enough time to work out of it on their own. The defense of Anderson alone is needed in Minnesopta and the pitchers that Minnesota throws out there should not totally overmatch the Sox hitters. The substandard defense cost them yesterday on Swisher's misplayed ball and Swisher did nothing at the plate to warrant the blind faith he is being shown.

I just do not want to see outs given away especailly with as shaky as the pitching has been.

They can give outs away at home but not currently as things are shaping up on the road.

I do not think this will be the case but I hope Uribe is out there as well.

I think I still have a real sour taste after the 9th inning yesterday.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
hope gomez is still out. can denard span please return to earth?

From article yesterday, sounds like Gomez injury still an issue (can't run)...article talks about sox throwing 3 lefties and how MN backups do vs. lefties.

Gomez's absence has caused Gardenhire to do some juggling when it comes to making out his lineup. Denard Span batted leadoff against Sowers and played center field. Although Span was 12-for-26 (.462) against lefties coming into the game, that's still a small sampling of at-bats.

Jason Kubel started in right field Sunday, but he began the day hitting .167 (9-for-54) against left-handers. Brian Buscher, who hit a three-run homer and drove in five runs against right-hander Fausto Carmona Saturday night, is batting .150 (3-for-20) against lefties, but will see some playing time.

"He s going to get a whack at them," Gardenhire said.

While catcher Joe Mauer didn't start Sunday, Justin Morneau was at his familiar first-base spot and Craig Monroe was the DH.

"I would like to put Morneau at DH, but I have to put Kubel in right," Gardenhire said. "Monroe hasn't been out there in awhile, and this is a big right field here."

TWINS UPDATE

The series opens with a tough pitching matchup for the Twins. Kevin Slowey is 0-2 with a 12.38 ERA in two starts against the White Sox this year. Mark Buehrle is 21-11 for his career against the Twins and is 6-2 with a 1.76 ERA in his past nine starts overall. The Twins are 4-7 against the White Sox but 2-0 at home, with all seven remaining games at the Metrodome.

TWINS

The good

• Seven remaining games against White Sox are all at home.

• Nine games left against both Kansas City and Seattle.

• Thirty-one remaining games against teams .500 or better, 27 against teams with losing records (good compared to White Sox).

The bad

• Brutal stretch with 24 of 30 games on road from Aug. 21 through Sept. 21.

• Only 28 of remaining 58 games at home.

• Fifteen games left against current division leaders -- Angels, Rays and White Sox.

WHITE SOX

The good

• Only six games left against current division leaders -- Angels and Rays.

• Fifteen games left against AL Central tail-enders Cleveland (six) and Kansas City (nine).

• Thirty of last 59 games at home.

The bad

• Thirty-seven remaining games against teams .500 or better, 22 against teams with losing records.

• Fourteen games left against AL East powers Tampa Bay (three), Boston (seven) and New York Yankees (four).

• Ten of final 13 games are on the road, including seven against Yankees and Twins

Edited by WSoxMatt

Carlos Gomez has exercised in the pool but hasn't done any running on dry land since crashing into the outfield wall Friday.

Asked when he thinks he'll be able to play again, Gomez said, "Maybe Tuesday."

"He's sore," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "A lot better [sunday] than Saturday."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/25...?page=2&c=y

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
The series opens with a tough pitching matchup for the Twins. Kevin Slowey is 0-2 with a 12.38 ERA in two starts against the White Sox this year. Mark Buehrle is 21-11 for his career against the Twins and is 6-2 with a 1.76 ERA in his past nine starts overall.

Mark is also 10-5 at the Rollerdome :headbang

8079mark_2.jpg