Decapitated and ATE him?

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
Yes, if he was threatening all of them or as someone said, the driver, and they were all in danger i can see the correlation and i'd agree people would probably band together to protect themselves. But with this stroy, at the point when everyone would have realized what was going on, it was too late for the victim. I just cant see, or justify, putting yourself and others at risk to approach a psychopath with a knife just to prevent him from mutilating the body. That may seem callous, but the guy was already dead, at this point there isnt anything anyone can do.

And I understand this. Im not arguing any of it. I am just saddened by the situation, thats all

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
What I thought of here was on 9/11 when the passengers of one of the planes stopped the terrorists from crashing it into whatever building they were aiming for. I think a lot people, at least Americans, would band together against someone doing such a terrible deed even if some damage had already been done. (Who's to say he wouldn't go after someone else with that knife?)

Actually this situation is very similar in that they prevented anyone else from getting hurt. The kid was gone. That might be a harsh realization to come to, but it correct. The passengers got everyone else to safety, which was the most important thing to do at that point, even if the killer had somehow escaped.

If someone had a gun onboard this may never have happened.

Ha, no, in one of my undergraduate criminology courses there was a case study on an apartment complex where a sizable number of occupants (~15) witnessed the assault and eventual murder of a young woman. It occured at night, in a sparsley lit area. No one came out to help, and -- perhaps more astounding -- not one 911 call made during the time this crime took place. The overwhelming opinion of many was someone else would assist the woman or contact the authorities. What this suggested to me is, even physically distanced from a violent act such as this, people will think about their own well-being.

I'm sure there are many more examples of people avoiding confrontation when, to someone observing from an outside perspective, more could have been done. In this circumstance, you have to ask yourself what is the most anyone could have hoped for? The attack was too sudden for anyone to anticipate it, so saving the victim is out of the question. Is it worth risking your life to fend off an attacker, in the closed confines of a greyhound bus, to save a corpse from being defiled?

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Agreed. However, I wasn't there, but it seems as if it would be difficult to know if he intended on being finished killing after the first kill.

Which, again, is why they removed themselves from danger and barricaded him inside.

Attacking him wasn't going to do anything at all, except maybe get another person stabbed. One victim was already dead and the attacker was more or less contained with no one else to attack.

9/11 analogies make no sense because there was no one else to protect. Everyone left the bus, and he wasn't about to drive the bus into someone or some thing. That's not at all like being trapped on a plane and realizing that they're going to plow it into a building.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
If someone had a gun onboard this may never have happened.

Ha, no, in one of my undergraduate criminology courses there was a case study on an apartment complex where a sizable number of occupants (~15) witnessed the assault and eventual murder of a young woman. It occured at night, in a sparsley lit area. No one came out to help, and -- perhaps more astounding -- not one 911 call made during the time this crime took place. The overwhelming opinion of many was someone else would assist the woman or contact the authorities. What this suggested to me is, even physically distanced from a violent act such as this, people will think about their own well-being.

I'm sure there are many more examples of people avoiding confrontation when, to someone observing from an outside perspective, more could have been done. In this circumstance, you have to ask yourself what is the most anyone could have hoped for? The attack was too sudden for anyone to anticipate it, so saving the victim is out of the question. Is it worth risking your life to fend off an attacker, in the closed confines of a greyhound bus, to save a corpse from being defiled?

That's a really well-documented occurrence. People do just assume that someone else will help. When you have first-aid training, they heavily emphasize giving specific people a specific task. If you just say "someone call 911!" no one will.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
I'll be honest, I'm fairly surprised the guy wasn't apprehended by the passengers. Maybe it's the Canada factor. What was it, 37 passengers? 5 of them against the one man and knife probably would have ended quickly and without additional harm. No way do I let that motherf*** go.

Neither would I

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
No I'm with you here that the victim couldn't have been saved. However, fear or whatever you would have called I thought would have driven the passengers to get the guy under absolute control because just because he takes out one doesn't mean he's done. I would have hoped a group would have tied him to a seat and perhaps beat the s*** out of him.

Tell you what Jake, if you and I are ever in that situation, you go ahead and try to grab the guy with the big knife and while he swings around and sinks the blade through your eye socket and deep into your brain, I'll be setting the world record for 200 meters.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Tell you what Jake, if you and I are ever in that situation, you go ahead and try to grab the guy with the big knife and while he swings around and sinks the blade through your eye socket and deep into your brain, I'll be setting the world record for 200 meters.

I'm telling you, just take 5 guys and he won't hit anybody. Soon as he would try to get one guy he would leave an opening for another guy to grab his knife arm and it would be all over there.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)

Just remember, you don't have to be the fastest guy, just faster than everyone but one person.