Sawx @ Sox 8-10

whitesoxbrian

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Exactly. At that point, you are playing for 1 run against the Red Sox in the 5th inning. Giving up outs against the Red Sox is idiotic.

In what way were we playing for 1 run? We moved the SECOND man into scoring position, and as an added bonus even a flyout was a run, for our 3/4/5 hitters who normally come up big in those situations.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
Exactly. At that point, you are playing for 1 run against the Red Sox in the 5th inning. Giving up outs against the Red Sox is idiotic.

If AJ executes and plays "small box" or fundamental baseball later in the game yesterday, then we see Thornton and not Boone Logan and the White Sox have at least a 75% chance to win the game (with a one run lead). I suppose someone will argue the opposite point because of the failed bunt, but that doesn't mean it was a strategic error...just one of execution.

That wouldn't have been too idiotic if we won yesterday.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Yes it is. This is the American League. You do it with garbage hitters and/or when you need more than 1 run.

You wouldn't expect Thome or Quentin to bunt with two on and none out would you? That's wasting a precious out.

You put a good bunter in the two hole for that exact spot. To get an extra man in scoring position with a bunt for the middle of the order hitters.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
I'd much rather have my .313 hitter swing away then give himself up in the 5th inning. You don't have unlimited outs. You have 27. Why are you throwing them away in the 5th inning for the possibility to score 1 run?

Because when you make the next out (because it is one of the 27 you're going to make), you can score a run with it -- sacrifice fly, ground ball or otherwise.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
I'd much rather have my .313 hitter swing away then give himself up in the 5th inning. You don't have unlimited outs. You have 27. Why are you throwing them away in the 5th inning for the possibility to score 1 run?

Wait, we have a .313 hitter in our lineup?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)

You're not throwing them away for the possibility to score 1 run. You're doing it to score 2 on a single, which are in fact supposed to come at a higher frequency than home runs/doubles. Since the odds are with the guy to make an out anyway, you might as well make it a productive one.