Answer me this... Richard v. Broadway

Steve9347

Let's bring up Charlie Haeger to start against him. (I'm kidding.)

But that would be interesting.

I wonder when the last time was that two knuckleballers started against each other in a game.

/quote]

Good question. Did some digging around, but came up empty. Maybe somebody out there knows a sight of some good baseball trivia that may have this answer.

A couple of years ago, Hawk read one of my e-mails on air, and my question was, "As far as you know, Was there ever another lefthanded knuckleballer besides Wilbur Wood?" His answer...Some guys threw it once in na while, but overall, the answer was "NO, not that he could recall"

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
A couple of years ago, Hawk read one of my e-mails on air, and my question was, "As far as you know, Was there ever another lefthanded knuckleballer besides Wilbur Wood?" His answer...Some guys threw it once in na while, but overall, the answer was "NO, not that he could recall"

Gene Bearden

(No, I'm not that old. LOL. I did remember hearing that question before and looking it up though.)

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
Let's bring up Charlie Haeger to start against him. (I'm kidding.)

But that would be interesting.

I wonder when the last time was that two knuckleballers started against each other in a game.

Starting, I don't know, but I do recall Haeger coming on against Wakefield last year. I forgot who started that game.

According to Ozzie this is not another audition for Clayton to earn the 5th starter job.

The 5th starter pitcher will be selected based on the opponent on game by game basis, which is what other stated previously in the thread. Personally I felt like Lance deserved another start giving us a solid performance, but I'll trust Ozzie and the staff to pick what's better for the team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
But he throws a knuckleball. How many of our guys have faced someone like him beofre? I'd say there's about as good of a chance that our offense lays an egg against him as there is they light him up for 10+ runs.

Maybe on the road but they won't lay an egg at home against this guy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
There is really no question that Broadway should be starting. I'm not sure why they were so worried about bullpen depth either, everybody knows Oakland can't hit, it's not like we were going to Texas. And I'm also REALLY not sure why we pitched Richard for an inning Sunday with an 11 run lead with him starting today being the plan. But whatever, with King Felix pitching, I don't think it matters who pitches today between the two of them because we are going to lose anyways.

Don't quit your day job for a future of prognostications.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
But he throws a knuckleball. How many of our guys have faced someone like him beofre? I'd say there's about as good of a chance that our offense lays an egg against him as there is they light him up for 10+ runs.

Yea but didnt he just set the modern day record for most wild pitches in an inning?

There is really no question that Broadway should be starting. I'm not sure why they were so worried about bullpen depth either, everybody knows Oakland can't hit, it's not like we were going to Texas. And I'm also REALLY not sure why we pitched Richard for an inning Sunday with an 11 run lead with him starting today being the plan. But whatever, with King Felix pitching, I don't think it matters who pitches today between the two of them because we are going to lose anyways.

Really?

You was wrong.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
I thought Ricky Vaughn had that record secured for a long time.

Give em the heater Ricky......actually despite a common misconception Ebby "Nuke" Laloosh has the most wild pitches with 16 in one game. He also struck out 16 in that game and hit the mascot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Really?

You was wrong.

It happens. I still have my doubts about Clayton Richard, however he did a great job last night and clearly the correct decision was made. I am even more shocked at how horrible King Felix was. Maybe it is our year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

One of the things I like most about Richard's success last night, is that it gives us lefty-righty options out of the 5th spot....

Lets us pick the starter (Richard/Broadway) based on matchups.

I like it.

Edited by scenario