Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

From McCain spokesman Brian Rogers:

"Tonight, Americans witnessed a misleading speech that was so fundamentally at odds with the meager record of Barack Obama. When the temple comes down, the fireworks end, and the words are over, the facts remain: Senator Obama still has no record of bipartisanship, still opposes offshore drilling, still voted to raise taxes on those making just $42,000 per year, and still voted against funds for American troops in harm's way. The fact remains: Barack Obama is still not ready to be president."

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take of the speech as a Republican who's been pissed and annoyed at his party the last 4 years and open to voting for either candidate:

1st 20 min - political BS fluff

2nd 20 min - finally some good substance about what he would do

last 10 min - more political BS fluff

Favorite line: "change doesn't come from Washington, change comes to Washington." That really hit me as something i'm interested in voting for.

Biggest grip: (paraphrasing) "Government needs to give children the opportunity to get an education instead of telling them to do it on their own." Wasn't that the first 20 minutes of his speech? Him telling America how with some love and support from his family he was able to come from low income Kansas to the Democratic nominee for President? Just seems weird to tell a great success story and then say the same system is broken and the government needs to do more.

Missing issue: global warming/the environment (he mentioned climate change in passing once, that's it)

I'm still solidly on the fence and it likely won't be until the debates when I'll make up my mind. Too much posturing and political fluff for me to really be all about that speech, though I was very happy that he listed off some of his priorities and what he would like to do.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
HOLY CRAP:

"And for the sake of our economy, our security, and the future of our planet, I will set a clear goal as President: in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East."

I would LOVE to see the specifics of that plan. I call bull s*** on that one, I don't even think it's possible to do that in 10 years. That line and his total ignoring of the enviornment both struck me as odd. However, his attempts reach out in his comments about guns, abortion, and saying that "the government has responsiblity, but people have responsiblity too" were smart in my opinion. Besides that, most of the speech was not a surprise. Democratic hotplate stuff that I've heard a lot of times, only it sounded great because of Obama's ability to read and deliver off the prompter. That speech will get him a big bump I think though, because people will buy it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Frank Lutz on FNC predicts a 10 point lead by Obama in 72 hours based on the independent voters.

I predicted a huge bump for Obama earlier in this thread. It doesn't take a whole lot of political insight to foresee that a great orator on a huge stage is going to have an immediate impact on the polls. The question is, can it be sustained?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
I would LOVE to see the specifics of that plan. I call bull s*** on that one, I don't even think it's possible to do that in 10 years. That line and his total ignoring of the enviornment both struck me as odd. However, his attempts reach out in his comments about guns, abortion, and saying that "the government has responsiblity, but people have responsiblity too" were smart in my opinion. Besides that, most of the speech was not a surprise. Democratic hotplate stuff that I've heard a lot of times, only it sounded great because of Obama's ability to read and deliver off the prompter. That speech will get him a big bump I think though, because people will buy it.

Remember when the moon was in the sky and flying there in 10 years was laughable?

Then a man told us we could.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)

I think right after Gore's proposal was announced it was poo-pooed. Then after a day or two people started crunching the numbers and some people thought... ya know.. this can be done.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
The question is, can it be sustained?

I hope I am wrong, but no. Not 10. Maybe 5 is a solid and reasonable number to hold. As was pointed out by a mayor (not sure) in the twin cities... "I know Tim Pawlenty and he wont step on an Obama bounce"

So if it's Obama / Biden v McCain / Pawlenty... McCain is in a lot of trouble.

Tim Pawlenty is the "do no harm" candidate while Biden is the "i'll go harm them" candidate.

PS: If the GOP has to postpone the convention, that's gonna hold an Obama bounce.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Biden is such a good VP pick for this reason. He puts McCain in a very awkward position. Biden will absolutely smoke Pawlenty and Mittens in a debate concerning foreign policy. Mittens could go toe-to-toe on the economy and probably win. Pawlenty is like Bob Dole and John Kerry combined.

Yawn

To paraphrase what Howard Fineman just said on MSNBC: In his "listening post", he has talked to a lot of republican / McCain people. The McCain campaign soiled themselves tonight. They did NOT see some of what Obama said coming. They were caught flat footed. They are planning a soft,low key, "boring" by comparison convention.

That isnt good for them.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
To paraphrase what Howard Fineman just said on MSNBC: The McCain campaign soiled themselves tonight. They did NOT see some of what Obama said coming. They were caught flat footed. They are planning a soft,low key, "boring" by comparison convention.

That isnt good for them.

I thought Obama went slightly over the top with his "doom and gloom" portrayal of the nation right now. However, it was better for him to be a bit too hardcore than a bit too soft, and that is why I expect him to get a big bounce from this speech.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 04:49 AM)
I thought Obama went slightly over the top with his "doom and gloom" portrayal of the nation right now. However, it was better for him to be a bit too hardcore than a bit too soft, and that is why I expect him to get a big bounce from this speech.

Do you know what attracts me to Obama and why I like him so much? It wasn't his line antagonizing McCain that he was ready to debate, it was his line about how politics don't make the man. Politics have gotten way too personal the past 8 years, with Rove marginalizing half of this country as unpatriotic. But the truth is I enjoy every poster on this board, alpha dog, mr genius, kap, so what if we disagree. There has been way too much emphasis that if you are x then you are unpatriotic or you are a fascist when that is not how we live. I'm hopeful in x years we can move to a much more central ground of understanding.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:36 AM)
Do you know what attracts me to Obama and why I like him so much? It wasn't his line antagonizing McCain that he was ready to debate, it was his line about how politics don't make the man. Politics have gotten way too personal the past 8 years, with Rove marginalizing half of this country as unpatriotic. But the truth is I enjoy every poster on this board, alpha dog, mr genius, kap, so what if we disagree. There has been way too much emphasis that if you are x then you are unpatriotic or you are a fascist when that is not how we live. I'm hopeful in x years we can move to a much more central ground of understanding.

I'll tell you - personally, you all can disagree with things but I would NEVER stoop so low and call you "unpatriotic". I will say that I think you're on the wrong side of opinion on Iraq - for example. But so what, that doesn't make you unpatriotic.

The whole lapel thing (by the way, did RSO wear one last night? :lol:) - I wouldn't say RSO is unpatriotic, but I'd say to make a big deal of something that is a symbol of what our country stands for is absurd. Just wear the damn thing and not make a big deal about NOT wearing it - again, it's a symbol, and people have died for that symbol. But it doesn't mean RSO's unpatriotic, it just means he's stubborn.

I may totally disagree with where some of you get your deranged love for RSO, but hey, it's your choice, and I have to respect it, even if I think you're wrong. :D

Well, turned out the "greek columns" thing wasn't an attempt at Greek at all. It was meant to make it look like Obama was giving a speech on the front steps of the White House.

Overall, very good speech. I think he struck the right balance between inspiration (his crowd needs that) and policy specifics and goals. You can't have that speech be too much of one or the other.

The only gaffe I heard was, he almost said something about helping drunk drivers.

His goal for energy independence is only possible if we as a nation put in a moon shot-like effort, and I don't know if he has the political capital or financial flexibility to do that (especially if he wants to cut all these income taxes). But hey, even if he gets halfway, then that's fantastic. He's reaching for something we need to reach for, and I can't fault him for that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 07:20 AM)
I'll tell you - personally, you all can disagree with things but I would NEVER stoop so low and call you "unpatriotic". I will say that I think you're on the wrong side of opinion on Iraq - for example. But so what, that doesn't make you unpatriotic.

The whole lapel thing (by the way, did RSO wear one last night? :lol:) - I wouldn't say RSO is unpatriotic, but I'd say to make a big deal of something that is a symbol of what our country stands for is absurd. Just wear the damn thing and not make a big deal about NOT wearing it - again, it's a symbol, and people have died for that symbol. But it doesn't mean RSO's unpatriotic, it just means he's stubborn.

I may totally disagree with where some of you get your deranged love for RSO, but hey, it's your choice, and I have to respect it, even if I think you're wrong. :D

Given the ten minutes or so he gave personal responsibility, I actually thought you'd like the speech.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 07:22 AM)
Given the ten minutes or so he gave personal responsibility, I actually thought you'd like the speech.

I didn't get to watch it, I had to work late and then me and the fam went out to eat. Is it linked on his site or something or other? I'll watch it if someone can help me out.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)

I would love to see ANY specifics from McCain on anything. The "Don't vote for Obama" routine is getting a bit old. How about a reason to "vote for me"?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
I would love to see ANY specifics from McCain on anything. The "Don't vote for Obama" routine is getting a bit old. How about a reason to "vote for me"?

He's been getting better about that lately.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)

I would love to see specifics from either of them. McCain says "don't vote for Obama", Obama gives this elaborate list of things he'll do that sounds completely unrealistic. Obama's route is a better way to go IMO, but until I hear or see how he plans on doing all these things, I'm going to treat him like every other politician and assume he's full of s***.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:36 AM)

I can go with this. One thing I will say is, although there are sides of Obama that scare me a bit, I won't lose any sleep if he gets elected. That is the good thing about this election for me, in 2000 and 2004 I really disliked both candidates. This time, no matter who wins, I think the country is going to be much better off than it is right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101