Oney Guillen

Dick Allen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 14, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
He retired. There was a message on the scoreboard at tonight's game congratulating him for "going out on top" what with his .333 avg. and .667 Slg. in Charlotte. The message was from JR, the Sox coaches and Freddy Garcia.

So, his entire minor league career was an inside joke?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
I never had a problem with this whole drafting by sperm and egg donors.

Aren't there 50 rounds in the draft? What's one late round pick? For every Mike Piazza and Mark Buehrle...there are 100's of Oney Guillen's.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Aren't there 50 rounds in the draft? What's one late round pick? For every Mike Piazza and Mark Buehrle...there are 100's of Oney Guillen's.

Exactly. He was a 36th round pick. Not exactly a big deal.

5th round?? Different story.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Exactly. He was a 36th round pick. Not exactly a big deal.

5th round?? Different story.

I agree to some extent, however, I still think that you should spend every single draft pick on people who have legitimate skills, talent, or potential because as we've all seen you can get lucky and get a mark buerhle, mike piazza or albert pujols. Why waste a pick as a favor to someone's kid instead of drafting a kid with an electric arm but no control, or someone with marginal stuff but great makeup (buerhle) use all those picks, don't waste one

You never know who the next pujols is going to be

QUOTE (TCQ @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
HAHA this is awesome, but it would have happened about 5 years ago if he wasnt the son of a major league coach

More like 9. I would put money on it that he made his high school team based solely on reputation.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
I agree to some extent, however, I still think that you should spend every single draft pick on people who have legitimate skills, talent, or potential because as we've all seen you can get lucky and get a mark buerhle, mike piazza or albert pujols. Why waste a pick as a favor to someone's kid instead of drafting a kid with an electric arm but no control, or someone with marginal stuff but great makeup (buerhle) use all those picks, don't waste one

You never know who the next pujols is going to be

Those late rounds are to fill rosters in the lower levels, with really zero expectations they will ever see the 40 man roster. Every team does this. But you are right, it is safer to try your best with every draft pick. But while you are taking chances, why not take a chance, you Piazza is always mentioned. He was drafted based on his sperm donor.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Oney is going to scout school this fall.

I know it will probably piss of people, but it makes sense. The kid has been around baseball since the day he was born. I imagine there is a decent chance that some of that exposure has rubbed off and given him a chance to recognize talent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
I know it will probably piss of people, but it makes sense. The kid has been around baseball since the day he was born. I imagine there is a decent chance that some of that exposure has rubbed off and given him a chance to recognize talent.

I hope he goes to a different scout school than whoever signed him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
Depends on the talent level at his high school.

http://uicflames.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/...len_oney00.html

Prep/Personal: Was a four-year letterwinner in both baseball and basketball at St. Andrew's High School...named team MVP for baseball as a senior...selected to the Honorable Mention team for both the Sun Sentinel and Palm Beach Post...member of the Venezuelan Junior National team as a freshman...was successful in 32 of 35 stolen base attempts during his varsity high school career...batted .333 as a senior and led the squad with two homers...born January 25, 1986...son of Ozzie and Ibis Guillen...major is business adminstration.

I dont know, it looks like Oney was pretty solid through high school.