Quentin really doing some BP upcoming in KC?

Princess Dye

Some answers:

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/10580394

Bernstein today brought up the important point, however, about muscle degeneration. How much does that happen in a few weeks span? i'd like to think Quentin has like stacks and stacks of muscle to borrow from.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
Some answers:

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/10580394

Bernstein today brought up the important point, however, about muscle degeneration. How much does that happen in a few weeks span? i'd like to think Quentin has like stacks and stacks of muscle to borrow from.

Bernstein likes to play doctor and he is usually somewhat accurate. The only degeneration he may have would be in the small muscle of the hand. I'm sure the medical staff had him keep everything else active during this time. It's only been two weeks so everything will come back very quickly.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
Bernstein likes to play doctor and he is usually somewhat accurate. The only degeneration he may have would be in the small muscle of the hand. I'm sure the medical staff had him keep everything else active during this time. It's only been two weeks so everything will come back very quickly.

Dan Bernstein went to Duke and is really, really smart. Just ask him.

Two weeks in a soft hand cast wouldn't degenerate anything remotely significant other than maybe timing and groove.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Bernstein likes to play doctor, financial expert, lawyer, and general smug mr. know it all, and he is usually somewhat accurate. The only degeneration he may have would be in the small muscle of the hand. I'm sure the medical staff had him keep everything else active during this time. It's only been two weeks so everything will come back very quickly.

Just thought I would add a little to that statement. Before he resigned with the Score a year or two ago he was negotiating with WLS to join the Roe Cahn (sp?) show. It could have ultimately boiled down to money, but IMO part of it was he wouldn't have been able to act like the smartest man in the room and bully callers like he does now.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Just thought I would add a little to that statement. Before he resigned with the Score a year or two ago he was negotiating with WLS to join the Roe Cahn (sp?) show. It could have ultimately boiled down to money, but IMO part of it was he wouldn't have been able to act like the smartest man in the room and bully callers like he does now.

I pretty much agree w/ everything you said, regarding Bernstein's smugness

Still that's the enjoyable part. you don't get that amount of smugness per square inch anywhere else on earth.

After the incident w/ Antonio Davis' wife at the UC, he interviewed her and asked her what kind of example she was setting for her own children.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 06:04 AM)
Thank you, I try to add what I can and make it more clear if possible.

question: if the bone is healing and lining up as they say, but not yet fully healed, does that means he runs the risk of increasing the fracture or re-fracturing it if he plays before it's healed enough?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
question: if the bone is healing and lining up as they say, but not yet fully healed, does that means he runs the risk of increasing the fracture or re-fracturing it if he plays before it's healed enough?

All I know is, that he has 4 1/2 months after the World Series finishes; before pitchers and catchers report, to heal up.

I'd shoot up with pain killer if I knew that we might not make it into the playoffs.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)

The short answer is yes he does run the risk of re-fracturing it.

A bone heals by building up a callus around the fracture and the healing begins to occur inside this callus. If the callus is injured the healing will stop and a new callus will need to be re-built. The problem is that with a partial callus there, there is a possibility that it will interfere with the new healing process and the fracture will become a non-union fracture. This is where the fracture doesn't and drastic steps need to be taken possibly even removing a part of the bone. This is not likely to happen especially with the screw in place to prevent movement. A direct blow to the bone still could do it.

This re-injury scenario is unlikely but do you chance it with such a young player who could be a corner stone for years. I'm sure this is the question going through the minds of the White Sox decision makers. They have a good medical staff and I would trust them but it is a risk.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)

A bone heals by building up a callus around the fracture and the healing begins to occur inside this callus. If the callus is injured the healing will stop and a new callus will need to be re-built. The problem is that with a partial callus there, there is a possibility that it will interfere with the new healing process and the fracture will become a non-union fracture. This is where the fracture doesn't and drastic steps need to be taken possibly even removing a part of the bone. This is not likely to happen especially with the screw in place to prevent movement. A direct blow to the bone still could do it.

This re-injury scenario is unlikely but do you chance it with such a young player who could be a corner stone for years. I'm sure this is the question going through the minds of the White Sox decision makers. They have a good medical staff and I would trust them but it is a risk.

very interesting. Yet the next question is ... were reinjury to occur (well returning to knightini's point) then doesnt he just have the whole offseason to get it better anyway? If so, then it's not a giant risk anyway

Unless you mean the damage could be more permanent or serious with the refracture

I guess what I'm asking is how serious (long term) is refracture? any more serious than what's going on w/ him presently?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)

Since he injured it in a non-baseball way (hitting his hand on his bat), isn't it possible that little stress is put on that bone during a swing?

I'm having dreams of Ozzie mysteriously putting Jerry Owens in LF batting third to start the Twins series and then in the first inning Hawk saying "Wait a second.....That's Carlos Quentin's Music!!!" and then have CQ stroke a 3 run homer.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
Since he injured it in a non-baseball way (hitting his hand on his bat), isn't it possible that little stress is put on that bone during a swing?

I'm having dreams of Ozzie mysteriously putting Jerry Owens in LF batting third to start the Twins series and then in the first inning Hawk saying "Wait a second.....That's Carlos Quentin's Music!!!" and then have CQ stroke a 3 run homer.

'Cept that's impossible because it's in Minnie. :D

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
very interesting. Yet the next question is ... were reinjury to occur (well returning to knightini's point) then doesnt he just have the whole offseason to get it better anyway? If so, then it's not a giant risk anyway

Unless you mean the damage could be more permanent or serious with the refracture

I guess what I'm asking is how serious (long term) is refracture? any more serious than what's going on w/ him presently?

The problem is if the callus is injured it could impede the healing of the new callus forming. This in turn could cause the fracture to not heal, part of the bone dies, surgery is needed to remove the necrotic portion, he loses range of motion in his wrist without the portion of bone and his swing is altered due to the decreased range.

This is the unlikely, worst case scenario. However, do you take this risk with this player. This is the question the organization needs to ask itself. If the team continues to play as it has been the answer will be obvious: no playoffs no reason to risk his future health.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 19, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)

This bone is one of the centers of movement for wrist flexion and extension. It will move during a baseball swing. The hardware is in there to stabilize it and the medical personnel will determine how stable it is during the next examination.