Arizona Fall League

Cali

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the excitement over Armstrong.

.261, 8 HR, 48 RBI's, 15 BB, 57 K's, .300 OBP at 25 years old already.

The only catcher I'm remotely interested in inside our system is Fransisco Hernandez, and he hasn't panned out yet either.

Kevin Dubler dissapointed in his short time in rookie ball, but I think he could break out next year and become our best catching prospect after a litttle more time in professional ball.

Cole is strong defensively. I read a stat earlier this year that he was leading the Southern League in caught stealing. Not sure where he stood in the IL after his promotion.

And his offensive splits show that he can hit righties but he really struggles against lefties.

So, he's not the ideal platoon partner for AJ... from an offensive perspective anyway.

We don't really have a whole lot of options at catcher in our farm system. There's a couple of guys in our Dominican system that look promising and obviously Dubler has potential but nobody else jumps off the page for me and AJ is nearing the age where catchers historically see a drop in their performance.

Donny Lucy was all set to become AJ's backup in 2009. RH hitter that isn't great with the bat, but shows some occasional pop. Very good defensively. Hits lefties better than righties. Seemed like a solid replacement for Hall, probably an upgrade.

But he blew out his knee back in July, so the whole backup C picture is in limbo. Can Lucy come back 100% from that? Cole Armstrong is next in line, but he hits lefty and offers nothing that Lucy doesn't. No one else in the system is ready. Innoye is closest, but he's a couple years away, I think.

Paul Phillips maybe? Or maybe we take Hall's 2009 option?

I'd like to see Lucy play winter ball, if he's ready. If he can be healthy again, I'd like to see him and Phillips have a tryout in ST 2009. Best man wins. Hall hits the road.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
Hall is worthless.

Twinkies have it right. At least Redmond can stop the running game some. Hall couldn't throw Konerko or Thome out.

Just one of many good decisions Kenny Kool will have to make.

Actually yes, it was indeed a good decision at the time. The Sox didn't have a solid backup option in house, so he went and got Hall, whose resume indicated he was a very good choice. Now, since his shoulder injury and weight gain, he isn't the same guy. But the signing, at the time, was solid.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
If all we cared about was defense and a good arm, doesnt Francisco Hernandez fit that billing. He definitely isnt ready hitting wise, but honestly how often has Toby contributed to the offense these past 2 seasons.

I've tried to keep track of the catchers in the system, but I honestly don't know a lot about Hernandez' defense. Anyone out there who does?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
I've tried to keep track of the catchers in the system, but I honestly don't know a lot about Hernandez' defense. Anyone out there who does?

Supposedly he has an absolute cannon and is above average defensively as well. I remember reading that about him a few years ago when he was listed by BA as one of our top prospects. Since he hasnt really done anything since to merit that top prospect billing, and has somewhat fallen off the radar, I have not heard much about him since, but I do believe that was the report on him a few years back

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
It's not all about defense from a backup catcher, otherwise Miguel Olivo would be back. The pitchers have to be comfortable throwing to him or else it's all for not. And statistically, Miguel Olivo would have been a fantastic backup catcher for the Sox.

This was a strength of D Lucy's - he was said, by pitchers and coaches, to be very good at game calling.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
We may find out tonight.

Today is opening day for the AFL.

Ohhh... that's right, I forgot. You live close by.

You going to the game Wanne?

Not tonight...I don't feel like driving out to Scottsdale. 1st two in Scottsdale and Thursday in Mesa. I plan on going Friday afternoon and Saturday night out to Peoria...and probably Tuesday night out in Surprise. I'll try to get some good pics to post. I plan on getting a couple of MLB balls for Beckham to sign at some point I hope...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Not tonight...I don't feel like driving out to Scottsdale. 1st two in Scottsdale and Thursday in Mesa. I plan on going Friday afternoon and Saturday night out to Peoria...and probably Tuesday night out in Surprise. I'll try to get some good pics to post. I plan on getting a couple of MLB balls for Beckham to sign at some point I hope...

IF you ever do make it out there. I'd love if you could give some kind of scouting report of the kid too. Nothing professional just what you see.

I'm going out to Phoenix on business at the end of October and hope to catch a few games out there.

The problem is that it looks like most games are played during the day... and I'm going to have a hard time playing hooky from the conference I'm going to...

But I'll find a way. :)

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
No Beckham in the line-up for the Saguaros to kick things off. Gartrell in RF.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...peswin_scowin_1

The Peo Saguaros (Beckham's team) lead 4-3 over Scottsdale (led by Manny Buriss of the Giants) Six Inning now, and the game's really dragging. Especially, with Peo's lineup being devoid of any major prospects. You know what would brighten my mood? How about a little Slayer action, coach?