Arizona Fall League

Cali

Harrell making improvements:

If Lucas Harrell makes a turn for the better here in the Arizona Fall League, the White Sox’s righthander might look back to two days ago as the turning point.

The 2004 fourth-round pick was working on the side and experimented with a new grip on his slider. Gone is the four-seam fastball-like grip in which Harrell would turn his hand in order to get the necessary spin.

In its place is more of what Harrell called a John Smoltz-like grip for the slider as he handles it on the seams.

Credit Kirk Champion, one of his pitching coaches here in the Arizona Fall League for the Peoria Saguaros and the White Sox’s roving pitching instructor, for the suggestion.

“It’s going to help me tighten it up,” Harrell said. “It’s more of a strike pitch now.”

Harrell was a surprise addition to the White Sox’s 40-man roster last November despite not pitching at all in 2007 following minor surgical repairs on his elbow.

He then battled an inflamed shoulder in 2008, missing time from mid-April to mid-June. He finished back at Double-A Birmingham, striking out 25 but issuing 18 walks in almost 42 innings.

He is 2-0, 6.52 in 9.2 innings in the AFL, with nine strikeouts and four walks. His velocity is back up in the low 90s.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1776

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
ps. Sorry scenario...probably means you won't see either one of them (Danks/Beckham) tomorrow. Probably Poreda though. Take yer sunscreen...it's still friggin hot as hell out. Still tryin' to wiggle my way out of work tomorrow to get out there....we'll see.

Just got back to beautiful sunny Chicago.

Man... it was fun going to AFL games. Definitely something I would recommend to anyone who can pull it off.

Quality talent. Small crowds... easy to get close to the field. Beautiful weather.

I did see Beckham on Thursday. He played second base. And although the box score won't tell the story, I walked away with the impression that this guy IS the real deal and much closer to the bigs than I expected.

The boy oozes confidence. Every time he came up to the plate or handled the ball in the field there was a feeling that "something" was going to happen.

At the plate, he singled and walked twice. Scored the game's first run on a sac fly with a good slide at the plate. He has a nice tight swing and very good plate discipline... watched several close pitches rather than hacking away... consistently went deep into counts. In the field, he made 3 plays that were borderline 'special': 1) a perfect relay throw from the outfield to the catcher that almost got a guy who was stunned it was so close; 2) jumped fully extended to snow-cone catch a liner that looked like a sure gap drive; and 3) went deep up the middle to get a grounder and make a nice flip to force a guy at second and end an inning.

IMO, I think there is a good chance that he could go to spring training this year and surprise alot of people.

I've got some more notes and a bunch of pictures which I'll put up later.

Edited by scenario

Nice post, Scenario.

I'm wondering if Beckham will be a non-roster invitee, since usually that's reserved for guys that actually have a shot at making the team. Maybe they'll just put him in minor league camp and bring him up a few games here and there.

I really doubt they're going to hand him the job without at least going to Birmingham for a couple months. But I agree with you---after seeing him play about 10 games after he got drafted, I'm sold this guy is the real deal and he'll be up at some point in the 2009 season. The signing of Jayson Nix, and the talk of he and Chris Getz being a platoon at second base makes it sound like they'll be there just until Beckham is ready to take over.

Should be interesting to see if he exclusively plays 2B in the minors next year, since it appears Alexei will be the Sox SS for the next few years.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Danks is making this AFL thing look pretty easy so far...

I think he's approaching affectionate nickname territory. Every scouting report I’ve ever heard on the kid referred to one tic in his swing that seemed to throw him off sometimes. Apparently, this tic developed sometime during his years in Texas. It really does look like it was only a minor problem and that he's figured it out. Danks and Beckham could be a devastating tandem in the 1 and 2 spots of the order for years to come.

The thing that struck me about Danks when I saw him is how big (tall) he is. It surprised me.

I mean... I read the stats (6'5"). But when I saw him in person I couldn't help but think... "that is one tall centerfielder."

And not a scrawny guy either. Very athletic build. I could see him putting on a few pounds over time and being moved to a corner position.

danks1.jpg

danks2.jpg

danks3.jpg

danks4.jpg

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
I dont understand how you figure we are better off with a poor starter over a dominant reliever. Our bullpen is in need of a 2nd lefty in the first place and Richard would not only fit that bill but possibly be pretty dominant in it. As a start your looking at a guy in the era range of 5 that is probably not going to go long into games and tax our bullpen.

I agree. Richard in the bullpen would be a great addition, along with one other very solid arm that could be used in the 8th inning in case Linebrink gets hurt again

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
While I agree Richard is better off in the pen as a second lefty and long man, I disagree about the fact he'd be a dominant reliever.

OK... you obviously don't like Richard.

He has better secondary stuff than we saw late last season. In fact he has 4 solid pitches: fastball, slider, change, and curve. If he throws them with command in spring training, I think the odds are good he comes north as the fifth starter.

If, like this season, he only commands 2 of them, then he'll be in the pen.

I'd love to see him add the cutter like Danks did last winter. I wouldn't be surprised if Professor Coop gave him that homework assignment for the offseason.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
While I agree Richard is better off in the pen as a second lefty and long man, I disagree about the fact he'd be a dominant reliever.

I don't know if he'd be a dominant reliever. But, IMO, his future seems brighter there, as opposed to the rotation. His pitches seem average for the rotation-esp. guys who see him 3-4 times a game. Yet his mix of stuff [and ability to throw 94-95 for short bursts] would be hard for a batter to pick up only 1 time through a lineup, and only once or twice a series.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 07:22 AM)
Poreda is a pretty solidly built dude. You don't see many big and strong lefty pitchers.

He's huge. Not fat or anything... just a big guy. That's why I took the pictures of him walking next to Armstrong and the handshakes after the game. I wanted to get something that helped show a size comparison.

If he makes the team in spring training, he would be the second tallest player on the Sox roster.

Picture Jon Garland if he added 30 solid pounds. Sort of like that...

Not sure if Poreda played football, but he sure could have. He's a little bigger than Clayton Richard who was a big QB.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
He's huge. Not fat or anything... just a big guy. That's why I took the pictures of him walking next to Armstrong and the handshakes after the game. I wanted to get something that helped show a size comparison.

If he makes the team in spring training, he would be the second tallest player on the Sox roster.

Picture Jon Garland if he added 30 solid pounds. Sort of like that...

Not sure if Poreda played football, but he sure could have. He's a little bigger than Clayton Richard who was a big QB.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge his mechanics, but I do like my hardthrowers to have a large/thick base underneath them. I'm not talking about a Bartolo Colon look, but Poreda just looks strong. It gives me a better feeling about potential durability.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
I haven't seen enough of him to judge his mechanics, but I do like my hardthrowers to have a large/thick base underneath them. I'm not talking about a Bartolo Colon look, but Poreda just looks strong. It gives me a better feeling about potential durability.

Yeah, I'm disappointed I didn't get to see him pitch.

But size-wise... Poreda definitely fits the profile of a power guy.

Think "1 inch taller and a few pounds heavier than Matt Thornton".

If Richard moves into the #5 slot in the spring, Poreda could possibly step into the pen next year. Not sure if that's what the Sox have planned for him. But I could see it happening.

sickels on sox players after his trip to the AFL:

Gordon Beckham, SS, Chicago White Sox: I caught some buzz from other observers that people are concerned about his swing: they don't like the way it looks, kind of "choppy" was how one person described it to me. Scouts were also downplaying his range, and at least one person I spoke with said Beckham really didn't look like a guy who was drafted in the first round. I will admit that he did not strike me either strongly positive or strongly negative in the one game I saw him play. I wouldn't make too much of this just yet, we need to see more out of him, but some people are concerned.

Jordan Danks, OF, Chicago White Sox: playing well in Arizona, and I thought he was very interesting coming out of Texas in the first place. Speed and athleticism are highly impressive, and he controls the zone well. Some scouts theorize that he may be a guy who hits better with wood than aluminum. Still some concerns about his power, but he could be a Steve Finley/Brady Anderson type, and I mean that in a good way.

Aaron Poreda, LHP, Chicago White Sox: Impressive velocity from the left side in the 90-94 range. Good slider. He has been sharp down here in a relief role, and I could see him as possibly a future closer if they don't think his changeup will hold up as a starter.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/11/4/6...ghts-on-arizona

don't like to hear that about beckham but i don't put much stock in it at this stage, especially with the amount of playing time he's getting down there.