Arizona Fall League

Cali

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
He's just not very good. My brother saw him face the Bulls twice this year, and said he was throwing 85 mph and gave up a lot of homers.

Glad to see you modified the 8 homers in 5 innings. ;)

Would have been pretty hard since he only gave up 12 homeruns all year and no more than 6 in any one month.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
Glad to see you modified the 8 homers in 5 innings. ;)

Would have been pretty hard since he only gave up 12 homeruns all year and no more than 6 in any one month.

Yeah, it must have been 8 runs in 5 innings. I was looking for the game log from his AAA season, and I couldn't find any. I'm going to try and get more details later today.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
At this point, i see Richard and Poreda going at it for the 5th spot (much like Danks andFloyd did two years ago) with the loser and Marquez going to the bullpen

Marquez will start the year in the minors as a starter, no question about it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Marquez pitched two innings today: 5 hits, 4 runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout

Just checked the final score... 14-8 Sags.

And Marquez ending up getting the win.

Cole Armstrong went 3-6 with a homerun and 3 RBIs.

No other Sox batted or pitched, though Danks came in late as a defensive replacement.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
He's just not very good. My brother saw him face the Bulls twice this year, and said he was throwing 85 mph and gave up a lot of homers. I'm not giving up on him either, but it's astonishing when people say he might compete for a starting rotation spot this year.

He was also pitching with an arm injury, right?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
If they ever have an MLB channel (well I guess directtv does, but a national one) than I believe it would be cool if they televised things like AFL games and other random big minor league games where two stud prospects are battling, etc.

I'm pretty sure the MLB channel is coming in January. Its supposedly one place DJ may work.

Here's some info on Marquez from a 2008 preseason article...

Background: Drafted with the compensation pick the Yankees received when David Wells left as a free agent after the 2003 season, Marquez has progressed steadily and was a workhorse for Trenton in 2007. He led the Eastern League with 15 wins and ranked second with 155 innings.

Strengths: Known as a groundball guy, Marquez works off his power 89-93 mph sinker. His fastball has as much life as any in the system, with excellent run to go with its sink. His changeup and curveball have improved to be solid-average pitches. He commands his changeup better, making it his preferred secondary pitch. He has the best pickoff move of any righthander in the system.

Weaknesses: Marquez doesn't have enough power or bite to his curveball for it to be a strikeout pitch, and he's dependent on his defense because he doesn't miss a lot of bats. He'll have to continue to refine his fastball command and have that pitch play up if his curve doesn't improve.

The Future: Marquez has the chance to become a workhorse groundball machine who fills the No. 3 or 4 slot in a rotation. Because of New York's pitching depth, he'll start 2008 in Triple-A and won't challenge for a big league job until the following year.

Maybe they're saving him for the playoffs. :)

Actually this is a huge game today. One of these two teams (Sags vs. Mesa) is going to be in the championship game on Saturday.

They have identical records and after today, only play one more game.

Link to mlb.com gameday for today's game.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
He isn't considered a starter. He was added too late to the roster.

He's started pretty much half of the games. Considering he's killing the ball and they're playing the team they're tied with with two games left, I'm surprised he isn't in the lineup.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
Mesa won the division with the win. They must not play tie breakers out there.

Turns out it was the 7th game between the two teams and they were 3-3 going into it.

So, yesterday was the tie breaker.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Beckham played Saturday, and that ended his season with four games left? Something smells.

He signed late. Sox allocated him to the AFL late. Other players at his positions were sent first and were given "dibs" of sorts. Unfortunate, but thats the way the AFL works. Nothing is up. Don't look too much into it

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
He signed late. Sox allocated him to the AFL late. Other players at his positions were sent first and were given "dibs" of sorts. Unfortunate, but thats the way the AFL works. Nothing is up. Don't look too much into it

He never went four games without starting until these last four. Considering they were contending for the division, and he has been on fire of late, it's surprising he was shut down after Saturday.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
He never went four games without starting until these last four. Considering they were contending for the division, and he has been on fire of late, it's surprising he was shut down after Saturday.

Sometimes, winning truly isn't everything.

Actually, Beckham is not listed on the Saguaros roster. Should have looked there first.

I won't speculate the reason, but it does explain why he hasn't played this week.

edit: Ok, I will speculate...probably when Jeff Marquez was added, the Sox had to drop one of their players. Maybe they felt Beckham had enough AB's and it was a good idea to drop him off the roster.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
Actually, Beckham is not listed on the Saguaros roster. Should have looked there first.

I won't speculate the reason, but it does explain why he hasn't played this week.

edit: Ok, I will speculate...probably when Jeff Marquez was added, the Sox had to drop one of their players. Maybe they felt Beckham had enough AB's and it was a good idea to drop him off the roster.

Good thinking.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by scenario