Slowest Sox team ever

StatManDu

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
Were the 2008 White Sox the slowest Sox team ever? Consider ...

*The 13 triples were an all-time franchise low

*The 67 steals were the fewest by a Sox team since the 1977 team swiped 42

If not the slowest, they are a finalist.

In 77, there were quite a few larger ballparks in the AL than there is today, including Old Comiskey. However slow that 77 team was, they were fun to watch.

By your measure the 1950 White Sox were the slowest of all time, 47 triples and 19 SB. The 2008 team would rank 3rd slowest.

However, triples are harder to come by at US Cellular than they were at old Comiskey. If you count 3B + 2B + SB per game the '50 team is still the slowest but the '08 team drops to 40th.

The fastest post WWII teams were 2000 (325 2B, 33 3B, 119 SB) and 1983 (270, 42, 165).

There are old time teams that double these numbers but it was a different game in those days.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 06:31 AM)
By your measure the 1950 White Sox were the slowest of all time, 47 triples and 19 SB. The 2008 team would rank 3rd slowest.

However, triples are harder to come by at US Cellular than they were at old Comiskey. If you count 3B + 2B + SB per game the '50 team is still the slowest but the '08 team drops to 40th.

The fastest post WWII teams were 2000 (325 2B, 33 3B, 119 SB) and 1983 (270, 42, 165).

There are old time teams that double these numbers but it was a different game in those days.

Should "we" add bunt singles to that?

Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 05:43 AM)
....and yet they still won the division. Why are people so focused on breaking them up and trying to acquire fast, but perhaps not as talented, baseball players? We should focus more on our holes at 3rd, CF, and pitching.

I agree. We should just add some speed, but not completely focus on it, at those positions (not pitching smart asses). I will be upset if dye, thome or konerko get traded. They provide something greater than speed.

....and yet they still won the division. Why are people so focused on breaking them up and trying to acquire fast, but perhaps not as talented, baseball players? We should focus more on our holes at 3rd, CF, and pitching.

Agreed. Regarding your hot stove selections, however, we definitely don't want Willy Taveras. That's just speed for the sake of speed, with little benefit. Plus, he's become an attitude issue as well, falling out of favor here in Colorado.

Luckily Kenny has a good head on his shoulders and will tinker some and not do what some people on here want: trade everybody. I'm sure he'll keep some power and whether you like it or not some of our minor leaguers are going to be in the plans. My guess is Getz and Fields will play for the Sox next season.

While losing ing PK & or Thome would be great, it's not going to happen.

So how about filling the 3 holes with speedsters?

If memory serves, this team finished 6th in the AL in runs scored. The Sox have allocated a lot of money to slow, power hitting players. 6th in the league is merely average

Edited by gosox41

I'm not suggesting we blow the team up, but winning the AL Central this year sure as hell didn't make me feel like only slight tinkering is necessary. It kinda felt like the 07 Cubs. We won a division that underachieved as a whole, we barely beat out a 2nd place team that never really took advantage when we slumped and we were a team we knew had no real chance come playoff time.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)

Actually, it was the 1877 Chicago White Stumps of the old Legless League that were slower.

While losing ing PK & or Thome would be great, it's not going to happen.

Why would it be "great" to lose both of them. Funny how Thome was the only Sox to knock in a run against Minnie (without that shot we would have lost in extras probably) and Konerko was great the last six weeks and we hate on both. I still wouldn't be sure one isn't gone next season. They can agree to trades, you know.

Even if they both stay ... we also forget how much our team changed without CQ. CQ was an MVP type player. Sox fans never made excuses to the point where it was ridiculous.

Face facts. We had a chance to beat TBay with a healthy CQ in the lineup!!!!

I predict Thome is here 100 percent; Konerko 50-50, could agree to deal. Crede gone. OC gone. Griffey gone. Swisher stays.

Agreed. Regarding your hot stove selections, however, we definitely don't want Willy Taveras. That's just speed for the sake of speed, with little benefit. Plus, he's become an attitude issue as well, falling out of favor here in Colorado.

It's not as much that I want, it's that I think the Sox will be tied to him as he plays CF, runs fast, and there have been posters wanting him since the 2005 World Series. He was also rumored in the Jon Garland traded that didn't go down before the Jason Jennings trade, so there is some smoke. Basically that list is what Soxtalk is going to dedicated a hundred threads to.