Black Panthers + Night Sticks = Voter Intimidation

Jenksismyhero

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF does this have to do with anything?

Clearly this has to be the first time in the history of America of that a race or political party has used a form of intimidation at a polling place.

..and I find your comment very ironic based on some of your posts made in the past two weeks.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:17 AM)
Which goes out the window when people are tempted with what they really want. Winning is everything. All's fair.

No, that's what "ethics" are. Not just something you follow when its easy.

I would be seriously disappointed and wouldn't view it as legit if it turned out everyone on the 2005 team was juicing. But that's just me.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
You wouldn't want the Sox to win another title even if they were cheating and couldn't be caught?

If i knew for a fact they were cheating, I would be ashamed to root for them. I probably wouldnt outright root for them to fail, but any rooting for success would be greatly tempered. I'd probably root hardest for them to be caught.

I'm sort of curious how this could be classified as voter indimidation? What could they have possibly been trying to do?

Scare people into not going into the building at all?

Scare people into voting for Obama? How would they even know who voted for who?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
This is a messed up opinion and one that I don't think is shared by many others.

I doubt its even his real opinion. He's just egging people on. Otherwise, someone who actually thinks that ethics and some degree of morality are not part of life, is a sociopath.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Out of curiousity if a couple of guys in Klan robes had stood in front of a polling place in say Pilsen, would people still feel the same way?

I would ignore it since I know they're not going to confront me directly in that situation the same way I did when I saw a KKK table at a gun show I went to recently. Those guys don't even deserve my attention, let alone my respect.

Although when we are talking about "black panthers" are we talking about the civil rights movement or are we talking about today's black separatists (and btw the New Black Panther Party gave an official statement that they weren't involved in anything like that)? If it's the former, there is no equivalency. If it's the latter the point is probably valid.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
So you don't think Klan members hanging out in front of the polls in a minority area wouldn't be voter intimidation?

I think his previous response is clear. But you keep asking. I'm sure eventually someone will fit your mold.

ETA: isn't this egging on stuff not allowed from the sign and agree thread?

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
I think his previous response is clear. But you keep asking. I'm sure eventually someone will fit your mold.

I thought his previous response blew off of the question. That's why I asked him to clarify. Thanks for the help though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
So you don't think Klan members hanging out in front of the polls in a minority area wouldn't be voter intimidation?

The equivalency isn't valid because if I'm not mistaken, there were minorities hanging out in front of the polls in a minority area.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I thought his previous response blew off of the question. That's why I asked him to clarify. Thanks for the help though.

Of course you did. :rolleyessmiley

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)

I don't think so, he's just trying to make his point and get someone to answer his question. Although I don't think the logic is valid personally.

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)

Egging on stuff? OK, if that is egging someone on, please feel free to have me suspended. If I have broke the rules, I have no problem paying the price.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I don't think so, he's just trying to make his point and get someone to answer his question. Although I don't think the logic is valid personally.

Fair enough.

Though when Sleepy opinioned that the logic was ridiculous I got his point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
Egging on stuff? OK, if that is egging someone on, please feel free to have me suspended. If I have broke the rules, I have no problem paying the price.

You're good at this point and clearly in-line IMO. Now if your answer had been refuted and then you kept pressing on with it to the point of being obnoxious that's different, but you're not. Just trying to carry out your argument.