Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
I'm going to look at it from the other side of the coin. While I'm not thrilled with the value we just got for Swisher, if Williams hung onto Nick, and he had a 2009 similar to 2008, the posts of "Williams had too much pride to show that he made a mistake" would be out in full force.

Williams missed on Swisher. It was a fantastic idea on paper, but Swisher didn't come close to his Oakland numbers. Williams decided to cut his losses, and move on.

Its like trading stocks and commodities, the quicker you are willing to realize you made a mistake and move on from it, the better.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
My problem isn't even this trade. Although we did sell low, getting rid of Swish in general is something I have no problem with. The problem is the fact we traded what was left of the farm to get him last winter. Even had we got the Swish we expected to get in that trade, we overpaid. But considering what we got out of Swish and got for him today, that trade is perhaps the worst one in KW's tenure considering what we gave up (nothing) in other bad KW trades in the past.

There's a good chance that farm system gets replenished quite a bit over the next few weeks. The Swisher trade was horrible - up to this point - but lets wait and see how these other guys turn out first. Sweeney isn't a big loss and Gio and DLS haven't done anything in the Majors yet.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
I'm going to look at it from the other side of the coin. While I'm not thrilled with the value we just got for Swisher, if Williams hung onto Nick, and he had a 2009 similar to 2008, the posts of "Williams had too much pride to show that he made a mistake" would be out in full force.

Williams missed on Swisher. It was a fantastic idea on paper, but Swisher didn't come close to his Oakland numbers. Williams decided to cut his losses, and move on.

I completely agree with you actually, as I said I don't have a problem with trading him and cutting the losses. I even think that although we probably could have got a little more in return for this, that isn't a big deal. But all I'm saying is that although Swish was a fantastic idea on paper that didn't work, even had that idea worked out as we expected it to, we would have overpaid in the Oakland trade. However, since it didn't work out, that trade becomes all time bad now, and that's unfortunate because Kenny doesn't make too many deals like that. Although I guess considering he rarely makes a trade where he gives up a lot OR gets back a bust (let alone both such as in the Swish deal last winter), he deserves a pass.

beltran? why would the mets trade him?

I meant to type "a Beltran" (as in a high caliber veteran), but what I mean by that is you dont free up $24 mil over the next few years just for the sake of doing so. It's stupid to point to a year ago and say Kenny Williams screwed up, you dont let those events in the past, that are quite frankly irrelevant now, cloud your decision making for the future and present.

The money is off the books and we got a backup IF who at least has the potential to hit a baseball every once and a while. I'm fine with the deal as long there is a big move that we can get really excited about coming up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
Swish is gonna have a tough time in New York. That goofy facial hair ain't gonna fly with the Yankees and if he gets off to a slow start on the field but keeps up his wacky act off the field the fans and media will destroy him.

His facial hair days are done. He can only have a moustache with the Yankees.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)

So no Melky Cabrera.

Not sure how I feel about this. My initial impression is that we got raped, but I thought the same thing about the Garcia, McCarthy, and Quentin trades. We have to see what Kenny has up his sleeve next.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
Swish is gonna have a tough time in New York. That goofy facial hair ain't gonna fly with the Yankees and if he gets off to a slow start on the field but keeps up his wacky act off the field the fans and media will destroy him.

did you not happen to see giambi's stache all year?

Looks like i have to change my profile to Swish being my favorite FORMER White Sox. I don't like this at all, and i hope i'm wrong. We bailed way too early on Swish. He was more then tolerable in CF, and his plate disipline was a welcome change from AJ "i'm swinging at everything whether you like it or not" Pierszynski at the top of the order.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Whats semi ironic about all this is Williams is usually on the other end of these trades, buying low on a player that has fallen out of favor.....

It seems like there is more to this perhaps. As good as it looked like Swish was for the clubhouse on the surface, maybe the people in there grew tired of his act? Certainly possible.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Nick Swisher in the most professional clubhouse in baseball. Should be interesting.

I guess the real question is; how will Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter and Joe Girardi react to the rally sodomized blow up dolls and the Dirty Cat salon? Poor Nick, it almost seems like Kenny dealt him to the Yankees out of spite.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Whats semi ironic about all this is Williams is usually on the other end of these trades, buying low on a player that has fallen out of favor.....

He's doing that with Marquez and also Betemit if he feels he can man 2B. I feel a lot more confident about Betemit/Getz/Nix competition than a Getz/Nix competition.