Shane Victorino a possibility?

beck72

With the Phillies in need of a power hitting, RH OF to replace Pat Burrell, could the Sox give up Jermaine Dye in part of a deal for Shane Victorino? It would take more than Dye, but the Phils have a leadoff man in Rollins. Victorino hit #2 mostly. Though he has had success hitting #1, and has speed. Dye could hit 3rd or 4th, with Utley hitting 2nd and Howard 5th. Victorino has had some health issues, having just played the most games this last year.

Dye could take over RF, and Werth move to LF. With the power bat acquired, the Phils could then look for CF and get defense there, ala Mike Cameron.

While I haven't heard a peep of him being available, Victorino might be a guy to overpay a bit for-though he'll turn 28 in a week. Speed, defense and top of the order skills. Thoughts?

Im not so sure about Victorino. It would take an aweful lot to aqcuire him.

However, the Blue Jays are apparently going to take phone calls on Roy Halladay... I wonder what it would take to aqcuire him...

I think its safe to say niether team is likely to deal those guys. We still dont have a deep enough farm to do such a deal quite yet.

Edited by GreatScott82

The BEST we could hope for in this pitching market from the FA market is Oliver Perez, Randy Wolf or Jon Garland.

All will probably make MORE than Javier Vazquez, and for 3-5 year contracts. Well, Wolf, maybe not, but close.

Halladay would cost us almost about the same as our winter stove moves for Pujols, Jose Reyes/David Wright and Evan Longoria.

If they want to give us Vernon Wells and eat part of that contract, KW could potentially bite on that one...or Rios.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 06:51 PM)
We trade Jermaine Dye for Victorino? Why? Dye is still a solid ballplayer with much value to the Sox. You fill one need and open up a second

Because it's much harder to find a quality CFer than a corner outfielder, although Dye's numbers put him in "elite" company for the past four years at that position.

Victorino's a younger player near his prime years, Dye's aging, losing range and might be an injury or full-time DH waiting to happen. We've been lucky with him so far, for the most part, coming off the injuries he had in Oakland.

Victorino has a more affordable contract...you can move Quentin over to RF. It's much easier to find a LFer (heck, Josh Fields is a possibility) to get "average" MLB production out of without overpaying than to find a Top 10 MLB CF.

Irony, of course...we had Reed, Anthony Webster, Rowand, Brian Anderson and Chris B. Young four seasons ago (a seeming embarassment of riches), and none of them have turned out to be the long-term solution for various reasons.

Victorino is not going to be moved.

Halladay could be moved at some point in the next 2 years, but the White Sox don't have the ammo to get him.

I think maybe we should be tempering our expectations as far as trade candidates go.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
We trade Jermaine Dye for Victorino? Why? Dye is still a solid ballplayer with much value to the Sox. You fill one need and open up a second

Because Shane Victorino is a better all-around player than Dye is. KW would do it; Amaro Jr wouldn't.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Because Shane Victorino is a better all-around player than Dye is. KW would do it; Amaro Jr wouldn't.

Yeah that deal is an easy win for the Sox. Add in Jenks and maybe it gets more interesting, but I doubt the Phils would deal Victorino regardless. Greg Golson seems to still need a lot of work.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Victorino is a solid ballplayer, but he probably has more value to the 2009 Sox than any other team in baseball. He fits like 4 needs.

If it takes an overpay, so be it. In this rare case, it probably would be worth it.

That about sums it up.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
Victorino is good and all, but I think he is overvalued and it would cost more than his production is actually worth. There are better options for the overall success of the team.

average, power, speed, defense, good arm, and patience at the plate...how exactly is that overvalued?

I think Shane Victorino gets a little bit too much love here. He is a nice player but he really isnt all that great. Nothing he does is all that spectacular, avg is mediocre, doesnt walk too much, not much power in a HR heavy park, and he doesnt even hit all that many doubles for a speedy guy.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
I think Shane Victorino gets a little bit too much love here. He is a nice player but he really isnt all that great. Nothing he does is all that spectacular, avg is mediocre, doesnt walk too much, not much power in a HR heavy park, and he doesnt even hit all that many doubles for a speedy guy.

I'll take 52 XBH's, .280-.290ish average, and a good eye at the plate from a #2 hitter.

Victorino is a damn fine player and Philadelphia would be dumb to give him up for Dye straight up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)
I'll take 52 XBH's, .280-.290ish average, and a good eye at the plate from a #2 hitter.

Victorino is a damn fine player and Philadelphia would be dumb to give him up for Dye straight up.

If thats what your looking at Dye prob give a similar avg. but had around 75 XBH's. Not too mention he walks about twice as much than Victorino.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
If thats what your looking at Dye prob give a similar avg. but had around 75 XBH's. Not too mention he walks about twice as much than Victorino.

Dye draws a walk twice as often as Victorino? Um, no. Dye has never been very good at drawing walks and last season was no exception he drew 44 walks in 590 ABs, Victorino drew 45 in 570 ABs. So they're going to post similar batting averages, walk about the same, Dye is going to provide much more power (about 100 points in SLG) and Victorino is going to provide much more speed. Shane plays an excellent CF while Dye plays a subpar right, Victorino is 7 years younger, under team control for 3 more years and will make a quarter the salary of Dye next season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
Dye draws a walk twice as often as Victorino? Um, no. Dye has never been very good at drawing walks and last season was no exception he drew 44 walks in 590 ABs, Victorino drew 45 in 570 ABs. So they're going to post similar batting averages, walk about the same, Dye is going to provide much more power (about 100 points in SLG) and Victorino is going to provide much more speed. Shane plays an excellent CF while Dye plays a subpar right, Victorino is 7 years younger, under team control for 3 more years and will make a quarter the salary of Dye next season.

Which is all the more reason Amaro would be silly to make the move, unless he thinks (like KW did with Rowand) that Victorino has peaked. I don't think that is the case here...and I also think Shane brings a lot more to the table than Aaron in terms of all-around play, but that's just me.

It would have to be Dye and pitching (to replace Moyer?) that they would be looking for...probably Dye/Poreda for Victorino. Or Dye and Fields.

Right now I think the biggest need for the Sox is to find a leadoff hitting CF or 2Bman.

Roberts would be ideal, but he won't come cheaply at all. If Hudson wants a 5 year deal, then he won't end up here. Here are some other names to maybe consider;

Gregor Blanco - .251/.366/.309

Matt Kemp - .290/.340/.459

Fred Lewis - .282/.351/..440

Kelly Johnson - .287/.349/.446

Victorino's a real sparkplug for the Phillies and he gives them a lot of energy, so I'll doubt he'll get moved.

Still KW moved Rowand after we won the world series in 2005 so I wouldn't rule anything out.