• Andre Dawson

• Rickey Henderson

• Tommy John

• Jack Morris

• Dale Murphy

• Tim Raines

• Jim Rice

Would be my votes.

I see you didn't include Baines or Morris or Murphy in your finalists list - they should be there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
I still dont understand the uproar about Jim Rice, if he didnt play for Boston, he would be an afterthought. He played 15 years and only had 382 HR's. He was very good, but doesn belong in the HOF IMO.

I think you need to look at it with some time-period perspective. Find another player during roughly his career period that was as productive as he was in power numbers - I am not sure you can find any. Actually, one of them is also on the list - Dale Murphy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
As I posted in the other thread...

• Harold Baines

• Bert Blyleven

• Andre Dawson

• Rickey Henderson

• Tommy John

• Jack Morris

• Dale Murphy

• Tim Raines

• Jim Rice

Would be my votes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
I love Harold Baines as much as anybody, but he's not a HOFer.

NSS = :notworthy :cheers

Baines: most hits by anyone not in the HOF. Most RBIs of anyone not in the HoF. With both hits and RBIs guys immediately in front of him and behind him are in.

If character counts for anything in baseball, and with the pathetic cheaters we have in there, it should. He should hold his head high while being selected. He certainly shuold not be dismissed too easily.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
As I posted in the other thread...

• Harold Baines

• Bert Blyleven

• Andre Dawson

• Rickey Henderson

• Tommy John

• Jack Morris

• Dale Murphy

• Tim Raines

• Jim Rice

Would be my votes.

I see you didn't include Baines or Morris or Murphy in your finalists list - they should be there.

Let's just change the name to the "Hall of Very Good" .

� Bert Blyleven

� Rickey Henderson

� Mark McGwire

� Tim Raines

� Lee Smith

This would be my HOF list. The closers haven't gotten enough attention or respect IMO. McGwire is a tough one, but I think without knowing who was using and who was not, you almost have to ignore that. Then again, tomorrow I will probably feel the opposite... Its a tough one.

I do believe Blyleven should be in, and Rickey and Rock should be in as well. Henderson deserves 95% of the vote, at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
� Bert Blyleven

� Rickey Henderson

� Mark McGwire

� Tim Raines

� Lee Smith

This would be my HOF list. The closers haven't gotten enough attention or respect IMO. McGwire is a tough one, but I think without knowing who was using and who was not, you almost have to ignore that. Then again, tomorrow I will probably feel the opposite... Its a tough one.

I do believe Blyleven should be in, and Rickey and Rock should be in as well. Henderson deserves 95% of the vote, at least.

I thought I was reading Sanskrit at first.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
NSS = :notworthy :cheers

Baines: most hits by anyone not in the HOF. Most RBIs of anyone not in the HoF. With both hits and RBIs guys immediately in front of him and behind him are in.

If character counts for anything in baseball, and with the pathetic cheaters we have in there, it should. He should hold his head high while being selected. He certainly shuold not be dismissed too easily.

Harold is a career .289 hitter, witha a career .356 OBP and 384 homers in 22 seasons. Never hit 30 homers in a season. Never hit 40 doubles in a season. Stole as many as 10 bases once in his career. Never walked 80 times in a season. 9th place is the highest he ever finished in MVP voting. Didn't play the field the last half of his career. A sweet, steady career, no doubt. A great clutch player? Of course. A HOFer? If you put him in, you better get the blueprints ready for a huge expansion project.

Some don't think Jim Thome is HOF worthy. He's going to finish with over 550 homers and an OBP over .400.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Harold is a career .289 hitter, witha a career .356 OBP and 384 homers in 22 seasons. Never hit 30 homers in a season. Never hit 40 doubles in a season. Stole as many as 10 bases once in his career. Never walked 80 times in a season. 9th place is the highest he ever finished in MVP voting. Didn't play the field the last half of his career. A sweet, steady career, no doubt. A great clutch player? Of course. A HOFer? If you put him in, you better get the blueprints ready for a huge expansion project.

Some don't think Jim Thome is HOF worthy. He's going to finish with over 550 homers and an OBP over .400.

I thought it was career numbers that we value. I guy that takes care of himself, plays through pain, and consistently had the same very excellent season for 22 years, deserves consideration. At the least the same consideration as guys who played half the years, racking up less career totals, but having bigger seasons. Yep, never more than 30 home runs. He should have juiced.

And I don't think it will be much of an expansion. No one has more hits and not in the Hall, but guys with less are in. No one has more RBIs and not be in the Hall, but guys have less and they are in. So where is the expansion? It would seem that letting in those guys with less hits and rbi is the expansion that allows Harold to gain admittance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)

Harold is definitely the weakest candidate on the list I posted earlier, with Dale Murphy close by. Baines is the perfect picture of great career numbers, but without the single-season accolades. No MVP, not leading in any single category, etc.

But I think he makes the grade. I suppose its all a matter of where people choose to draw the line. I saw someone earlier posted some sarcasm about "The Hall of Very Good". Well, I suppose that anyone who lets in more players than you, might seem to be doing that. Fame is kind of a subjective word.

And BTW, I don't see any way Thome doesn't get in at this point, barring a steroid revelation.

Basically the argument seems to be, that players with less hits and RBIs, but who played fewer seasons, should be in. That just doesn't make sense to me. It is called "fame" not Hall of Great Seasons. Not Hall of Stats. Playing 22 years is no small feat in itself. With guys literally half his age trying to earn that roster spot.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
Basically the argument seems to be, that players with less hits and RBIs, but who played fewer seasons, should be in. That just doesn't make sense to me. It is called "fame" not Hall of Great Seasons. Not Hall of Stats. Playing 22 years is no small feat in itself. With guys literally half his age trying to earn that roster spot.

I do agree that longevity should be somewhat of a factor (though not a huge one). If you can be among the league's best overall hitters for 22 years, as Harold was, that is an accomplishment in itself.

He probably won't get in, and it will be for two general reasons. One, he wasn't associated with many post-season teams. Two, he isn't decorated enough - no season titles, not high MVP votes, etc.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
I do agree that longevity should be somewhat of a factor (though not a huge one). If you can be among the league's best overall hitters for 22 years, as Harold was, that is an accomplishment in itself.

He probably won't get in, and it will be for two general reasons. One, he wasn't associated with many post-season teams. Two, he isn't decorated enough - no season titles, not high MVP votes, etc.

Three. Didn't play the field for most of his career, NL media bias

Four. Slowed by injury 20 years.