The 06/07/05 Bombings: Never Forget

Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Another guy referred as a safe pick. The only thing safe about these guys (McCullogh and Broadway) is the assumption that they will be busts.

Exactly. I'll never b**** about the Borchard pick because at least the guy had huge potential. Hindsight tells us that we didn't make a bad pick with Borchard because he became a tremendous prospect. The problem was we made a horrid choice by holding on to him for as long as we did. If a guy has the sky for a ceiling and flames out, then oh well, at least you took a risk worth taking. Broadway and McCulloch were not risks worth taking, Broadway especially since he was taken so high.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
is it just me, or was this post a tasteless attempt at humor ala 9/11?

Kind of. I was looking at the s***ty draft and realized it occurred exactly one month prior to the 07/07 bombings. But I was going to make the thread anyway because I don't want Broadway on the 40-man roster anymore.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
LOL. I remember when Cub fans instantly calling Pawelek one of their top prospects right after they gave him a bunch of money.

There was never any doubt that Pawelek had great stuff, it's just his motion put so much burden on his body that his arm blew out.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
LOL. I remember when Cub fans instantly calling Pawelek one of their top prospects right after they gave him a bunch of money.

He was highly highly touted in the draft and most experts agreed that the Cubs had done a great job getting him (there were signability issues surrounding Pawelek). The kid happened to put a lot of stress on his arm though. The bottom line is the Cubs did the right thing, they went after a guy that had the tools to succeed if all went well. The Sox didn't do that with McCulloch and you could make a case that there were some other guys they could have gotten instead of Broadway, however, I would argue that Broadway will have a better career than a number of other first round picks.

Broadway didn't have the tools to be an ace, but he had a pretty good arsenal of pitches and could turn into (still to this date) into a #2/#3 starter and I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least a viable #5 starter (at least for some teams).