2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Doesn't Wagner still have a year left on his contract? Harell is currently on the 7 day DL, I believe. Link hasn't pitched well.

Santeliz and Nunez are two guys the Sox like though. I think you'll see Nunez back shortly not sure when we'll see Santeliz, probably after the Barons playoff run.

Wagner has an option with a buyout for next year. The buyout IIRC is $1M, and I think his contract clears waivers because he's making a lot of money this year and is currently rehabbing.

Yeah, Link has been having some poor performances and Harrell has to get back healthy, but I wouldn't look for contributions from either. Just call each one up before August 31st so that they're on the 25-man active roster and then immediately demote them basically. I think that's all you have to do to make them playoff eligible. I don't think they actually need to appear in a game, but if so, just send each guy out there for a batter or inning or something. At least then if someone catches fire in September we can carry that guy as the last man in the pen.

Think you're right and Nunez is back soon. I hope to see Clevelan before too long as he could potentially be a weapon situationally down the stretch.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Reminder for those who are lucky enough to have MLBN, Red Sox/Tigers on at 12:30 then there's a night game on at 6 or 7, (not by my TV so can't remember who, but I believe it's a good matchup). Bonus: no Steve Phillips or Joe Morgan!!!! and if it's the MLBN tonight the national guys will actually discuss teams other than the NYY or Bos!!!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
Reminder for those who are lucky enough to have MLBN, Red Sox/Tigers on at 12:30 then there's a night game on at 6 or 7, (not by my TV so can't remember who, but I believe it's a good matchup). Bonus: no Steve Phillips or Joe Morgan!!!! and if it's the MLBN tonight the national guys will actually discuss teams other than the NYY or Bos!!!

Costas is likely doing one of them.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
My cousin faced him in high school. Told me he had one of the ugliest K's against him. He was also a hellova hitter also. I actually wished I got a chance to face him.. :P But he was alittle older than me.

Cesar had great stuff in high school so he made plenty of hitters look silly. I faced some terrific pitchers in the Catholic League (six went on to be pros) and I'd say his stuff was second only to Honel's. Cesar was a great hitter too though, like you said. He broke more than a few records at MC. Where did you and your cousin play?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:11 AM)
Torn Labrum found during surgery on Bedard. Done for the year, gonna be a rough offseason for him. Could be a buy low candidate for someone, but shoulder surgeries are really ugh.

That will surely go down as one of the worst trades in Seattle's history. I do like Bedard as a buy low candidate though.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
That will surely go down as one of the worst trades in Seattle's history. I do like Bedard as a buy low candidate though.

He kind of reminds me of Javy Vazquez, some of the best stuff in the league, but anytime he faces pressure he kind of just gives up

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
He kind of reminds me of Javy Vazquez, some of the best stuff in the league, but anytime he faces pressure he kind of just gives up

Bedards problems have all been injury related, not pressure/failure related. If you are looking for a close comparison, I would have to say Prior. Either he cannot pitch through any amount of pain(and chooses not to), or he is just a truly unlucky individual when it comes to injuries.

Right now, they just found out he had a torn labrum, which is not good at all

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 01:50 AM)
Bedards problems have all been injury related, not pressure/failure related. If you are looking for a close comparison, I would have to say Prior. Either he cannot pitch through any amount of pain(and chooses not to), or he is just a truly unlucky individual when it comes to injuries.

Right now, they just found out he had a torn labrum, which is not good at all

You got that right, I take back my comment of him being a good buy low candidate with this news as pitchers with torn labrums rarely come back at the same level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
David Wright was hit in the head by a Matt Cain pitch and left the game.

That was very scary to see in person. He was down for quite a bit. So, I’m sad to report that Shea stadium is now a more literal parking lot then it used to be. Citi Field on the other hand is very pretty but plain. From a spectator standpoint there’s really not a bad seat in the house. There are great vantages points all across the ballpark. The stadium, however, fails to really revolutionize anything, it’s very cookie cutter, the exterior is stunning, the interior, however is much like The Cell it’s serves its purpose, but it’s fairly ordinary. The pitching match up was as advertised. Cain worked quickly throwing strikes; Santana struggled at 1st, but leveled off towards the end of the game. The highlight of the game came when Sandoval homered following two consecutive back-off pitches. The feeling at the end of the game for Mets fans was vaguely funereal.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
That was very scary to see in person. He was down for quite a bit. So, I’m sad to report that Shea stadium is now a more literal parking lot then it used to be. Citi Field on the other hand is very pretty but plain. From a spectator standpoint there’s really not a bad seat in the house. There are great vantages points all across the ballpark. The stadium, however, fails to really revolutionize anything, it’s very cookie cutter, the exterior is stunning, the interior, however is much like The Cell it’s serves its purpose, but it’s fairly ordinary. The pitching match up was as advertised. Cain worked quickly throwing strikes; Santana struggled at 1st, but leveled off towards the end of the game. The highlight of the game came when Sandoval homered following two consecutive back-off pitches. The feeling at the end of the game for Mets fans was vaguely funereal.

What a game to happen to be at.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Brad Lidge is awful. Manuel is insane for staying with him.

For all the talk about the Phillies being unstoppable in the NL, especially after they traded for Cliff Lee, no one seems to mention that they dont have a closer. As good as Lidge was last year, everyone knows hes capable of blowing up during the playoffs, especially during a season where his ERA is over 7.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
For all the talk about the Phillies being unstoppable in the NL, especially after they traded for Cliff Lee, no one seems to mention that they dont have a closer. As good as Lidge was last year, everyone knows hes capable of blowing up during the playoffs, especially during a season where his ERA is over 7.

His confidence must be made of glass because his stuff has always been there even when he has struggled. Is he going to need to be traded again to be effective? Charlie needs to remove him and put him in some non pressure situations.