Jon Garland and the D'Backs sign a 1 year deal

knightni

Depending on the years/money involved, this could be a really good move for both sides. Arizona already has the best 1-2 punch in the NL. Max Scherzer is a STUD! Doug Davis is a serviceable #4. Jon would round out the staff quite nicely. From Jon's perspective, he would get to pitch in an inferior league, in an even more inferior division.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
and why exactly did anyone here want him back? just bcuz of what he did for us in the past? or bcuz he can eat up innings? bcuz based on last year, i dunno... 196.7 ip, 237 hits...4.90 era..

Prior to signing Colon, I'd have taken that as insurance at the end of our order just because of the bloody innings. Compared to trusting 2 of Marquez/Poreda/Richard/Broadway/other to give us 350 innings, that would have been a reasonable move. Frankly though, given how many times we've heard about the salary constraints, the Colon deal is a better deal for the Sox, especially if his fastball has come back.

I would have loved for the Sox to sign Garland to that deal. However, this was really smart for him... he'll be great in the NL.

Webb

Haren

Garland

There's some mad sinkerballs in there and a lot of innings eaten up. This was an EXTREMELY great signing for the D-Backs.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
THANK CQ

hopefully we have heard the last of "we should sign jon back", seriously

JG will be likely available again next offseason, will probably be a type B FA at the best again (Which means no draft pick given up for signing him) unless he pulls together another 18 win season, and the Sox will have a lot of money coming off the books next offseason in the form of Contreras, Dotel, probably Thome, possibly Dye, probably Colon. Depending on the development of our young pitchers, it's entirely plausible we could find ourselves needing a starter next year again as well. And we may have more money to spend as well, esp. once we can move Contreras off our books, as that's the one really hurting us right now.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/45182

Heyman thinks the DBacks are a heavy favorite to sign Randy Wolf now as well. If so, their rotation would be pretty damn good

?

The article you posted says the Dodgers are now the heavy favorites to sign Wolf. With Davis and Garland in their rotation, signing another Vet would probably send Sherzer to the pen or to the minors. Can't imagine the D-Backs wanting to do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
?

The article you posted says the Dodgers are now the heavy favorites to sign Wolf. With Davis and Garland in their rotation, signing another Vet would probably send Sherzer to the pen or to the minors. Can't imagine the D-Backs wanting to do that.

I totally misread the quote from mlb traderumors. HOLY COW did I misread that.

getting eyes checked soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
Garland gets $6 million with a $2.5 million buyout and a mutual option for $10 million next year. $8.5 million for one year or $16 million for 2. Not bad for him.

That's a pretty generous buyout I would have thought.

I think he's done well also.