Cubs close to landing Aaron Heilman

Kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Thats because they know the door is all but shut on the Peavy deal(it could still happen I guess, but I dont know how). One guy who called B&B the other day(regarding my previous post) was pissed at Bernstein just for reading it, and you could tell just by how he was phrasing it that he KNEW the Cubs werent going to be spending like they were in the past 5 years, and Peavy was slowly becoming a dream

I just love that they're pissed. I live for their pain.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great trade...for people like me, daa, etc. This pretty much makes acquiring Peavy impossible. As others have said, trading Pie and Cedeno for Heilman is a brutal trade. Heilman sucks...some Phillies fans thought he was their MVP last season. I can't wait to see him pitching with the wind blowing out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
This is a great trade...for people like me, daa, etc. This pretty much makes acquiring Peavy impossible. As others have said, trading Pie and Cedeno for Heilman is a brutal trade. Heilman sucks...some Phillies fans thought he was their MVP last season. I can't wait to see him pitching with the wind blowing out.

The thing that always made the Peavy deal a Tribune cub fluff pipe dream in my mind had to do with what was discussed on this site. Like Gavin Floyd last year and Matt Thorton prior to 2006, Pie and Cedano being out of options rendered them useless to another organization. Neither has had the success at the MLB level which warranted their having any real value in a blockbuster. I honestly believe that they were never really serious contendors as they could not offer up an MLB proven player or even a potentially good MLB type player in exchange for Peavy. I think the trade would have had to include one of Soto or Marmol if not both and still may. Trade Soto and sign I-Rod.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
The thing that always made the Peavy deal a Tribune cub fluff pipe dream in my mind had to do with what was discussed on this site. Like Gavin Floyd last year and Matt Thorton prior to 2006, Pie and Cedano being out of options rendered them useless to another organization. Neither has had the success at the MLB level which warranted their having any real value in a blockbuster. I honestly believe that they were never really serious contendors as they could not offer up an MLB proven player or even a potentially good MLB type player in exchange for Peavy. I think the trade would have had to include one of Soto or Marmol if not both and still may. Trade Soto and sign I-Rod.

I've said that since the beginning. If I am the Padres, the first player I ask for is Soto, and if the Cubs refuse, I walk away.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
What will they trade for him then?

original players:

Cedeno: gone

Pie: Gone

Ceda: gone

Olson: gone

All they have left of value is Vitters and no team in the world would trade Peavy for Vitters. Marshall isnt very good, they have zero MLB ready position players and no real arms left. Samarjigidjja has a no trade clsuse and signed with the Cubs to be in Chicago. They literally have nothing left.

No disrespect but I think some of you guys are missing the point. The Cubs are in great position to still get Peavy and they may end up robbing the Pads. Peavy has a NTC and will only approve a trade to the Cubs (Peavy's own words), the Padres HAVE to get rid of him because they are slicing the payroll by $30 mil. The key is this is Peavy's no trade clause. The Cubs are holding all the cards in this, not San Diego. That's why it sucks. Its not as much the Cubs trading for Peavy, it's more the Padres having to dump salary and Peavy using his NTC to block them from getting more for him. If he didn't have a NTC, he would've been dealt by now. Its going to wind up being Peavy for Vitters and a couple of guys. Its similar to last year where Santana was using his NTC to block a trade anywhere except the Mets, Yanks or Red Sox. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GIVE PLAYERS A NO TRADE CLAUSE.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
No disrespect but I think some of you guys are missing the point. The Cubs are in great position to still get Peavy and they may end up robbing the Pads. Peavy has a NTC and will only approve a trade to the Cubs (Peavy's own words), the Padres HAVE to get rid of him because they are slicing the payroll by $30 mil. The key is this is Peavy's no trade clause. The Cubs are holding all the cards in this, not San Diego. That's why it sucks. Its not as much the Cubs trading for Peavy, it's more the Padres having to dump salary and Peavy using his NTC to block them from getting more for him. If he didn't have a NTC, he would've been dealt by now. Its going to wind up being Peavy for Vitters and a couple of guys. Its similar to last year where Santana was using his NTC to block a trade anywhere except the Mets, Yanks or Red Sox. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GIVE PLAYERS A NO TRADE CLAUSE.

I understand that you are under the impression that Peavy said he wanted to play for the Cubs and only the Cubs, which was not entirely true. He wasnt singing Cubs fan songs or wearing Cubs hats. It is one of a handful of preferred teams for him. The Cubs literally have zero ammo for Peavy unless they include someone like Soto. regardless of their negotiating position the Padres are not going to trade one of the best pitchers in the NL for Vitters and nothing else, its just not going to happen and there would be an absolute uproar across the league.

I hope you're right but I still see it happening. It's almost gone according to script since it first broke in late November. Like I said though, Peavy is basically holding the Pads hostage with his NTC. Santana did the same thing last year. Even though the Twins got Gomez, that was a fleecing, I think this will be the similar.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
I understand that you are under the impression that Peavy said he wanted to play for the Cubs and only the Cubs, which was not entirely true. He wasnt singing Cubs fan songs or wearing Cubs hats. It is one of a handful of preferred teams for him. The Cubs literally have zero ammo for Peavy unless they include someone like Soto. regardless of their negotiating position the Padres are not going to trade one of the best pitchers in the NL for Vitters and nothing else, its just not going to happen and there would be an absolute uproar across the league.

Sorry Rock that last post was meant as a response to yours.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
I hope you're right but I still see it happening. It's almost gone according to script since it first broke in late November. Like I said though, Peavy is basically holding the Pads hostage with his NTC. Santana did the same thing last year. Even though the Twins got Gomez, that was a fleecing, I think this will be the similar.

No, the script has been completely thrown off as Cedeno and Olson were pieces everyone thought would be included in the deal.

If the only thing that gives the Cubs great position to deal to the Padres is Peavys desire to go to the Cubs, then he isnt going. And you keep saying they need to slice the payroll by 30 million. Isnt thier payroll already at 40 million with all of the trades they have made as it is? Do you honestly think the Padres are going to go into the season with a 10 million dollar payroll?

The Cubs arent going to steal Peavy just because he wants to go to the Cubs. He is one of the best pitchers in the league, and the return for him should be great. the cubs do not have great, I dont even think they have good anymore. there are plenty of other teams out there that can offer much better prospects, and I am sure Peavy wont have a problem going to another contender.

this article right here says they want to cut 5 million, not 30 million

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...-target/?padres

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
If the only thing that gives the Cubs great position to deal to the Padres is Peavys desire to go to the Cubs, then he isnt going. And you keep saying they need to slice the payroll by 30 million. Isnt thier payroll already at 40 million with all of the trades they have made as it is? Do you honestly think the Padres are going to go into the season with a 10 million dollar payroll?

The Cubs arent going to steal Peavy just because he wants to go to the Cubs. He is one of the best pitchers in the league, and the return for him should be great. the cubs do not have great, I dont even think they have good anymore. there are plenty of other teams out there that can offer much better prospects, and I am sure Peavy wont have a problem going to another contender.

this article right here says they want to cut 5 million, not 30 million

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...-target/?padres

Like I said guys I REALLY hope it doesn't happen either, I just have a bad gut feeling about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Cubs fans:

"Vitters, Marshall and Guzman should be more than enough for Peavy"

"Towers told Hendry to go out and get certain players for this deal and thats what he has been doing"

thats funny lol even if they magically made that happen, thatd leave them with 0 preospects, 30th in mlb as far as the minors goes lol

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
I think Olney's trying to say the Cubs would now trade Marshall, who is someone that the Padres would want more than any of the other guys.

or potentially samardjiza...though he does have a NTC i believe