Gotta Love Kenny Williams, Seriously

greg775

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
KW just said that he might be better than Garland. There was no outright guarantee there... I don't think that anyone would guarantee that, but Colon does have a much higher ceiling if everything works out well.

Your right about what KW said. I was not quoting KW, but the post itself. Colon, if healthy and he remains healthy is a great competitior no doubt and could be very important to this teasm success. I really was trying to make the point that we shouldn't bash former players in any way shape or form IMO as they made our super 2005 season possible.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 02:42 AM)
He's also one of the few GM's who openly says he really doesn't care what the fans think about his moves/trades and whether they understand them or not...that he doesn't have to answer to bloggers, fanboys, SABR club stat geeks or anyone else but JR.

Of course, it's a lot easier to do that with a WS championship so recently in the rearview window.

Kenny's always had a massive ego. And I'm glad does, as the last thing we need is a GM who second-guesses himself when knuckleheads like this guy question his decisions.

I'm not sure i understand the "ceiling" philosophy on colon and garland. These are glass ceilings. I'm not even sure what people think Colon's ceiling is, I'm thinking throwing 5 innings per start for a total of half a season. That colon throws more than half a season's worth is probably just as likely as garland having better control and being able to pitch inside again. These situations are both equally unlikely, and this is a stupid comparison.

Edited by Hawkfan

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
I think that in that quote Kenny comes across as smug and self-righteous; he frequently comes across that way and it's a big part of the reason I don't care for the man.

You could say smug and self-righteous, or you could say self-assured and confident. I'd prefer to have an aggresive, confident GM as opposed to a guy who's afraid to pull the trigger on a deal, ala Ron Schuler.

He does maybe come across as smug, but the fan was being a total ass. At some point you have to show some passion and stand up for Crede, a guy who helped us win the title. Thank goodness the internet wasn't crazed when Fisk was sucking his final year with the Sox. Fans like the clown who Kenny owned would have blasted Fisk as well when he couldn't catch the ball anymore.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
You could say smug and self-righteous, or you could say self-assured and confident. I'd prefer to have an aggresive, confident GM as opposed to a guy who's afraid to pull the trigger on a deal, ala Ron Schuler.

Or with a more modern spin... John Paxson.

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
I think that in that quote Kenny comes across as smug and self-righteous; he frequently comes across that way and it's a big part of the reason I don't care for the man.

LOL, so who is the humble, soft spoken GM that you would prefer that has a similar track record to Kenny? Who cares if the guy is smug, you're not eating dinner with him, you are hoping he makes the best moves for your baseball team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:42 AM)
Or with a more modern spin... John Paxson.

Who? Oh, right, the guy who destroyed the Bulls for the next several years with absolutely s***ty drafts, pussy trades, and stupid signings/extensions. How is he not fired yet.

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)

Bill Polian (Colts) is much worse. He's also in the playoffs a lot more often than Kenny.

so, what was the alternative response to this obnoxious, trying-to-be-jay-marrioti fan...

"Ha, pain in the back good one. He sucked didn't he? Oh yeah, Bartolo really sucks, you nailed it."

Great point. Put yourself in his shoes. His answer was great.

For the most part guys like KW, Beane and Epstein are all really outspoken, and quite good at their jobs. I'd say the most reserved (decent) GM is Mark Shapiro, and even he has a mouth on him. Personally, I have no problem with KW’s attitude he’s very self assured and that instills confidence.