Is KW actually watching the Dow Jones or being a jerk?

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
The main argument out there is the assertion that the Sox made a profit of $70 million from 2005-2008.

I think if people didn't have that in their heads, they wouldn't be so upset...and the prices for most franchises keep appreciating (even in this market), so the average fan always feels like the owners of their teams have to spend wildly like Steinbrenner or Cuban or they're not "good" owners who care the most about their team winning.

THey also always increased the payroll to match whatever profits that the team made from year to year as well. Its not like another Chicago team with a payroll similar to ours, yet is drawing a million more fans a year than us.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
The main argument out there is the assertion that the Sox made a profit of $70 million from 2005-2008.

I think if people didn't have that in their heads, they wouldn't be so upset...and the prices for most franchises keep appreciating (even in this market), so the average fan always feels like the owners of their teams have to spend wildly like Steinbrenner or Cuban or they're not "good" owners who care the most about their team winning.

Not sure if that number is accurate, but I bet at least 1/3 of that profit came in 2005.

Bob

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Not sure if that number is accurate, but I bet at least 1/3 of that profit came in 2005.

Bob

I would bet most of it came in 2006, with 2007 right behind that. The Sox damn near drew 3 million fans in 2006. 05 is actually the worst number in the past 4 years, excluding the playoffs.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
No, it's a real fan who understands economics and the reality of baseball. :headbang

Then he should be working in DC or NYC right now because it doesn't seem that anyone understands economics fully these days.

Or figuring out how to revive the dying RV production market in Elkhart/Goshen, Indiana. Talk about the wrong industry to be in now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Then he should be working in DC or NYC right now because it doesn't seem that anyone understands economics fully these days.

Or figuring out how to revive the dying RV production market in Elkhart/Goshen, Indiana. Talk about the wrong industry to be in now.

Are you from that area? I went to college close to there, and went to school with a ton of people from around there. The next question would be, are you a Yoder, Troyer, Miller, or a Smith? ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Are you from that area? I went to college close to there, and went to school with a ton of people from around there. The next question would be, are you a Yoder, Troyer, Miller, or a Smith? ;)

O RLY?

Where, Goshen College?