2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
There was an injury delay earlier in the game on a ball hit back to Grienke.

Maybe they are also trying to limit his innings.

According to a Royals board game thread, Greinke took a line drive off the elbow. He finished the inning anyway, then they took him out. So probably not a big deal, just precautionary.

• 2 weeks later...

Tigers are discovring what we did last year: Those Twins are pests.

Can you imagine if Minny had two playoffs in 2 seasons? I mean one game division playoffs?

I'd like to see Twins win it then win the first round playoff series as well. Go Twinks. Get it out of your system this year.

Blowing the division also might carry over and affect the Tigers next April.

teeth are gnashing and hair is coming out in chunks in motown. Pretty funny. They got f***ed by the twins in 06, too. But even tho the twins are clearly on a roll, i don't see the kitties losing their hold on first place. I think they'll pull out tonight's game and the next two, wrapping it up so we don't have to watch those fuktards celebrating against the sox.

Tonight's game is so huge.

If Minny wins and it's even, wow.

I think many people simply think Detroit will win and be back comfortably up by two games.

To get it back to even tonight would be big time big.

Detroit has to win this game or Game Three might have the aura of Wrigley Field when the Cubs were choking vs. The Dodgers last postseason.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Twins make the playoffs over the Tigers. I'm very comfortable that they'll be destroyed by whomever they face. This way it's like a double b**** slap for Detroit and the Twin City.

I absolutely hate Detroit entirely, especially the Tigers (just a dick organization, always has been putting up with dick players like Weaver, Fick, etc.. in the past) and anyone who wants them to win this division is beyond me. I hope the Twins beat them and give the Tigers a nice choke job. Kinda nice seeing orgs with low payrolls win too, and it's hopefully nice seeing our org. learn to play the game right right down to the minors like the Twins do.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
I want the Twins to win they will not spend more money even if they do win. The Tigers payroll may go up if they make a nice playoff run which they could with Verlander.

The Twins are moving into a new stadium and have supposedly offered Joe Mauer a $120 mill extension. If they make the postseason, they'll have much, much more money to spend and their payroll could legitimately rise above $80 mill.

Detroit already has a ton of contracts on the books for next year and really aren't getting younger.

I want the Tigers to win the division and for them to win as many playoff games as the Washington Nationals.

How do the Twins win with such s***ty pitching.

Good defense does a lot of good things.

Edited by witesoxfan

I hate both the Tigers and Twins but Minny just annoys me more than any other team...

Maybe I've watched too many Twins broadcasts and listening to those two arrogant pricks have made my hate of that organization irrational?

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

That second game gives them breathing room back at 2 games.

Amazing how different things woulda been if Detroit lost that game. It was a close game.

Can't see the Twins taking the next two. They really have to, however, if they want to control their own destiny.

Tigers so far avoiding total collapse.

A sweep would of been fantastic, but winning 3 of 4 is now a must for the Twins

did anyone catch the first game? Gardy ordered something like 5 sacrifice bunts including a squeeze in the 9th. I think Gardy is a fine manager (not the best, not the worst) but in this playoff-type situations, or in the playoff themselves he totally deviates from what he/the team did in the regular season. Yeah, the Twins sac people over and what not, but not to that extreme

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
That second game gives them breathing room back at 2 games.

Amazing how different things woulda been if Detroit lost that game. It was a close game.

Can't see the Twins taking the next two. They really have to, however, if they want to control their own destiny.

Tigers so far avoiding total collapse.

Pavano VS Bonine is an edge for the Twins.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
A sweep would of been fantastic, but winning 3 of 4 is now a must for the Twins

did anyone catch the first game? Gardy ordered something like 5 sacrifice bunts including a squeeze in the 9th. I think Gardy is a fine manager (not the best, not the worst) but in this playoff-type situations, or in the playoff themselves he totally deviates from what he/the team did in the regular season. Yeah, the Twins sac people over and what not, but not to that extreme

I think they have to leave DET tied for 1st. They don't want to rely on the Sox for help...they've been most unreliable this season.

All Detroit has to do is split the next 2 to be 2 up with 3 to go.

Got to like Detroit's position to hang on for dear life.

Minnesota splitting the next 2 doesn't do it much good. Twins got to win tomorrow then go for the kill to get it tied heading into the final series.

It shows you ever moreso how important games are earlier in the season. Come this time you really needed all the wins you could get earlier.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:49 AM)
It shows you ever moreso how important games are earlier in the season. Come this time you really needed all the wins you could get earlier.

I agree 100%. There are a few games that got away from the Twins that should be chalked up in the Win column. the one that sticks out is the one where Joe Nathan served up 2 HR's to Sox players at the Dome

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:49 AM)
All Detroit has to do is split the next 2 to be 2 up with 3 to go.

Got to like Detroit's position to hang on for dear life.

Minnesota splitting the next 2 doesn't do it much good. Twins got to win tomorrow then go for the kill to get it tied heading into the final series.

especially when good old Zack Greinke is waiting for you this weekend as well

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
The Twins are moving into a new stadium and have supposedly offered Joe Mauer a $120 mill extension. If they make the postseason, they'll have much, much more money to spend and their payroll could legitimately rise above $80 mill.

and I wasn't even aware that the Twins had reportedly signed Miguel Angel Sano. $3.15 mill signing bonus