Padres versus White Sox ST Game

caulfield12

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Are you accusing him of being unclutch in spring training?

I wouldn't care about the unclutch part, I care more about the quality of pitcher he's able to hit against. His swing is so far out of whack that he can only hit AA quality pitching.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he specifically mentioned Lillibridge would start getting time in CF and wouldn't even rule out Beckham, although he added the caveat that Beckham would be the "everyday" player no matter where he was on the field.

It was in comments made to Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald on Wed or Thursday.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
At least to start the season, yes, if the season started right now I'd take Wise and Lillibridge and start it as a platoon. They are simply playing better than the other options.

Fields singles to start the inning. 3/4 for Joshua today.

Anderson up again. Someone slap him and tell him to wake up.

So are you taking the players who are playing the best right now (apparently 7 singles, a 1/10 BB/K and no playing time in CF is good) or the players who make the team the best it can be? So if the season started today you'd honestly be comfortable giving Lillibridge significant playing time in CF? Seriously? Then you're going with the players who "deserve" to make the team based on their spring performance because there's nothing about Brent Lillibridge that leads me to believe he'll contribute to the major league club this year. If Brent Lillibridge is on your team then I hope Jack Egbert and Gordon Beckham are as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
I wouldn't care about the unclutch part, I care more about the quality of pitcher he's able to hit against. His swing is so far out of whack that he can only hit AA quality pitching.

Yes, I would say that that the concern would be that he's hitting late (against scrubs and prospects) and not so much early.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Lillibridge hasn't even played CF since college and even then he split time between that and SS. How can someone be considered a plus defender at a tough position that he a.) hasn't played in 4 years and b.) never played full time?

Yount never played there in his life and won the gold glove the first year he played it.

I made all of that up as I only hope for good things and silver linings.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
He was ok last year on the bench. .700 OPS--not too bad for a defensive CF.

He was the same player as Dewayne Wise last season only right handed, younger, infinitely better defensively and slower. Nothing has changed between now and then.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Are you accusing him of being unclutch in spring training?

I do think the situations in the games....who is pitching....what's the score, etc., are part of the thinking process, yes.

Anyone can swing hard and hit the ball occasionally (see Uribe, Juan), but what does he do when they really need him and the score's tight?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
I do think the situations in the games....who is pitching....what's the score, etc., are part of the thinking process, yes.

Anyone can swing hard and hit the ball occasionally (see Uribe, Juan), but what does he do when they really need him and the score's tight?

It's spring f***ing training. There are no "clutch" moments, the games are all exhibitions and populated by single A crap by the late innings. Balta has a decent argument about the quality of pitcher he's facing but give me a break, when the "score's tight"? Brian hit .296 in Close and Late situations last year, you know, during real games and put up a mid .700 OPS in tie ballgames.

His OPS got progressively better as the score got tighter last season. What he does in clutch spring opportunities is irrelevant.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
So are you taking the players who are playing the best right now (apparently 7 singles, a 1/10 BB/K and no playing time in CF is good) or the players who make the team the best it can be? So if the season started today you'd honestly be comfortable giving Lillibridge significant playing time in CF? Seriously? Then you're going with the players who "deserve" to make the team based on their spring performance because there's nothing about Brent Lillibridge that leads me to believe he'll contribute to the major league club this year. If Brent Lillibridge is on your team then I hope Jack Egbert and Gordon Beckham are as well.

The problem with that line of thinking is that Egbert is the 9th starter on the team right now, assuming he's ahead of Broadway.

Obviously, Owens and Anderson are struggling. The manager acknowledges/ed it...and the door's open for ANYONE as far as KW and Ozzie are concerned.

I would have no problem taking Beckham, although then you're penalizing Getz and Nix and eliminating any chance to get a return on them via trade if neither has the opportunity to demonstrate anything during the regular season.

Our best future line-up most certainly has Beckham at the top (first or second) of the order.

Do we think the Sox are showcasing McDougal for a trade or does he have what it takes to make this team out of ST and contribute?

God I hope so. Maybe we can convince the Royals to give us a nice looking prospect who will eventually bust, and Cortes back as a "throw in" again. ;)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
The problem with that line of thinking is that Egbert is the 9th starter on the team right now, assuming he's ahead of Broadway.

Obviously, Owens and Anderson are struggling. The manager acknowledges/ed it...and the door's open for ANYONE as far as KW and Ozzie are concerned.

I would have no problem taking Beckham, although then you're penalizing Getz and Nix and eliminating any chance to get a return on them via trade if neither has the opportunity to demonstrate anything during the regular season.

Our best future line-up most certainly has Beckham at the top (first or second) of the order.

There's a gaping hole in the back of the bullpen, someone needs to win that spot and if we're going off who's earned it with their spring performance it's Jack Egbert. No one is going to trade for Jayson (DFA) Nix and Chris Getz is the future utility player of this ballclub, both have been thoroughly outplayed by Gordon Beckham this spring, the job should be his.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
Owens Grounds to short, Lillibridge out at 2nd, Bad throw airmailed to 1b, goes in to the seats, Owens goes to 2nd on E-4.

Another uppercut shank.

One thing we can ALL agree on is that we dont want Owens anywhere near this team.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
It's spring f***ing training. There are no "clutch" moments, the games are all exhibitions and populated by single A crap by the late innings. Balta has a decent argument about the quality of pitcher he's facing but give me a break, when the "score's tight"? Brian hit .296 in Close and Late situations last year, you know, during real games and put up a mid .700 OPS in tie ballgames.

His OPS got progressively better as the score got tighter last season. What he does in clutch spring opportunities is irrelevant.

I think Ozzie cares more what BA does against a quality pitcher in Chris Young than everyone who has come since then. I know if Viciedo hit a homer off David Price or Chris Young, it would be looked at much differently than one off Eckstrom.

Van Benscrotum???

LOL

I also think that BA needs to prove that he can actually put up a better than 650 OPS playing against tough RHPers. All of those late at-bats were hand-picked to face mostly lefties.

How many are in that sample size anyway??? It can't be that many, usually he was a defensive (not offensive) replacement in games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Do we think the Sox are showcasing McDougal for a trade or does he have what it takes to make this team out of ST and contribute?

They're just throwing him out there hoping he figures it out. No one is going to trade for him. Best case scenario is he kicks ass at Charlotte for the first 3 months of the season and the Sox are able to move him for garbage at the deadline and save themselves 2 months worth of salary and his buyout. At this point you're just hoping to dump his salary at mid season, that's what it's come to.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
They're just throwing him out there hoping he figures it out. No one is going to trade for him. Best case scenario is he kicks ass at Charlotte for the first 3 months of the season and the Sox are able to move him for garbage at the deadline and save themselves 2 months worth of salary and his buyout. At this point you're just hoping to dump his salary at mid season, that's what it's come to.

Such a shame too. All you heare about his how great his "stuff" is and yet we don't see results

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
There's a gaping hole in the back of the bullpen, someone needs to win that spot and if we're going off who's earned it with their spring performance it's Jack Egbert. No one is going to trade for Jayson (DFA) Nix and Chris Getz is the future utility player of this ballclub, both have been thoroughly outplayed by Gordon Beckham this spring, the job should be his.

Ummm...we got Loaiza and Jenks for basically nothing. Or look at someone like Carlos Pena. Just because Jayson Nix had no value to other teams last year doesn't mean he has no future value for infinity.

Nix has been out for one week with a strained quad and was 5/7 before today. I don't know how you can say Beckham clearly outplayed him.

Egbert hasn't pitched CLEARLY better than Marquez, Poreda and Richard...his sample size is too small to say he's the best option.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
I think Ozzie cares more what BA does against a quality pitcher in Chris Young than everyone who has come since then. I know if Viciedo hit a homer off David Price or Chris Young, it would be looked at much differently than one off Eckstrom.

Van Benscrotum???

LOL

I also think that BA needs to prove that he can actually put up a better than 650 OPS playing against tough RHPers. All of those late at-bats were hand-picked to face mostly lefties.

How many are in that sample size anyway??? It can't be that many, usually he was a defensive (not offensive) replacement in games.

It's spring f***ing training. Balta is right about the quality of pitcher, you tried to argue about clutch situations which don't exist in exhibition games. He had 27 AB in C&L situations last year and 87 in games when there was a 1 R margin and he hit .272/.314/.494/.808. What's the spring sample size looking like?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)

Where is the gaping hole in the back of the pen? Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks make up the back of the pen. I dont see a hole in the bunch.

If it's ONLY/JUST spring training, then why are we ALL talking about Beckham making the team???

We wouldn't be if he was hitting .100, but because he's performing exceptionally well, he's become a legitimate part of the conversation.

How many times do we hear that BA hit two homers off Felix Hernandez...as if they means he has a lifetime get of jail free card???