Padres versus White Sox ST Game

caulfield12

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Yah. I can't imagine that happening. No matter what averages are, I just really can't see anything other than Wise/Owens and Anderson platoon no matter what BA does. THey'll keep him for his defense.

If he can't get his swing in gear then he doesn't deserve to be there. And I say that as one of his fans the last few years.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
It's too far away to be making any big statements like that. One player could get hot and cold and in one week their avgs will be totally different

Brian Anderson has left 7 on base. He's struck out in a key situation and looked more horrible than Jerry Owens. That's hard to do.

Ozzie has already told the papers he's going to use Lillibridge in CF. Lillibridge is RH and he was acquired as part of a big trade for Javier. I think that increases the odds of him breaking with the team.

I know this sounds crazy...but MacDougal is coming close to being under consideration for at least being part of the conversation for making the squad.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Wise and Owens are both below avg defensively and offensively, BA and Lilli are plus defenders and cant hit. Lilli is a better player than both Wise and Owens, and probably equal value to BA because of their plus defense. None of the bunch is good, but Wise and Owens clearly suck.

And FYI, cherry picking the kid's worst year never really shows anything. He may not be an offensive juggernaut, but he is better than he showed last year.

Cherry picking his worst year was not my intention. I took what he did last year and it was garbage. He was also very average in 2007, those aren't stats that are going to have any value as a hitter in the Majors. He hasn't proven anything above A ball, which is a major concern. Lots of guys falter once they hit AA. At this point, I see no reason to think he can hit Major League pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
If he can't get his swing in gear then he doesn't deserve to be there. And I say that as one of his fans the last few years.

Then the question becomes; do you construct your rosters with the best combination of talent to help your team win or with the players who "deserve" to play based on their spring performance?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
Then the question becomes; do you construct your rosters with the best combination of talent to help your team win or with the players who "deserve" to play based on their spring performance?

If Brian Anderson can not get his swing together, he will not fit the "best talent to help the team win" criteria. He will help this team more if he goes down to AAA and gets his swing together.

That's if you believe in Spring Training competitions.

I don't, but this organization does. Unless they wanna put the ol' "screw you job" (IE Masset winning over the better Wassermann last season, BA losing the CF job despite hitting like .500 etc..) then Wise should be starting in CF even though I'm not a fan of his, but he's miles ahead of Owens, and I'm not a fan of the people here that hate of him (no he won't turn into G. Matthews Jr. at age 32 and just explode, but he's serviceable.)

If this is the case, I'd rather see us just hand Lillibridge the job since the kids can actually steal bases, not to mention play stellar defense, and probably hit the same as BA in a season.

If Brian Anderson can not get his swing together, he will not fit the "best talent to help the team win" criteria. He will help this team more if he goes down to AAA and gets his swing together.

^^^^^^^

I love BA, but the kool-aid has to stop at some point. Lillibridge might not play the same good defense as BA (though he was a standout in college for his defense at center) but I'd rather have a guy who can hit just as good as BA, more versitle at different positions in defense, and can actually steal 50+ bases as KW is saying (though it is an overrated stat, Lilly can also hit doubles and drive the ball, something Owens... can't do)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)

So who are the 2 major league centerfielders on the roster? Wise and who? Can't be Owens, even if Brian's swing is pure s*** he still brings more to the table than Owens. Lillibridge? The infielder who's proven nothing above A ball and hasn't played CF in regular season game in 4 years?

Lillibridge was battling a wrist problem all of last season and changed his swing mechanics to compensate.

He played much better in the last 4-6 weeks (like Konerko) but it's really lost in the stats.

KW and Ozzie really like what he brings to the team...versatility, speed/pinch-running, best defender/back-up at SS and the ability to play CF if we give him some time out there. I won't be surprised at all if he makes the team.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
So who are the 2 major league centerfielders on the roster? Wise and who? Can't be Owens, even if Brian's swing is pure s*** he still brings more to the table than Owens. Lillibridge? The infielder who's proven nothing above A ball and hasn't played CF in regular season game in 4 years?

At least to start the season, yes, if the season started right now I'd take Wise and Lillibridge and start it as a platoon. They are simply playing better than the other options.

Fields singles to start the inning. 3/4 for Joshua today.

Anderson up again. Someone slap him and tell him to wake up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)

He won't be going down. BA has the best OF glove on the team so defense will keep him at the big league level while they wait for the bat to catch up this spring

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
He won't be going down. BA has the best OF glove on the team so defense will keep him at the big league level while they wait for the bat to catch up this spring

His bat will not "catch up" if he's sitting on the bench. He's proven that before.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
At least to start the season, yes, if the season started right now I'd take Wise and Lillibridge and start it as a platoon. They are simply playing better than the other options.

Fields singles to start the inning. 3/4 for Joshua today.

Anderson up again. Someone slap him and tell him to wake up.

Josh is 3 for 3 with a walk.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)

Anderson has hit two huge homers in completely meaningless situations...but failed continually when his bat was needed in clutch situations.

I wonder how much Ozzie and KW will take that into consideration, kind of like Albert Belle stats when he was with the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Anderson has hit two huge homers in completely meaningless situations...but failed continually when his bat was needed in clutch situations.

I wonder how much Ozzie and KW will take that into consideration, kind of like Albert Belle stats when he was with the Sox.

Are you accusing him of being unclutch in spring training?