New Roster Cuts

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
The article starts off good by telling us Owens is cut and than it goes downhill saying Wise now the starting CF and lead off hitter.

Still waiting for him to draw a walk. 53 AB and counting.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
Borderline? I'd say flat out dominant. I can't remember the last time I actually saw that in him though.

He's always had 2 issues. Control, and that he pitches worse under pressure. We'll see how things go, but I'm about 60% sure that he'll fall apart again, and we'll see Wassermann or Nunez or Egbert or whomever.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I think Dwayne and Anderson can be a solid platoon in CF for us, but I hope KW is looking to strengthen CF around the deadline.

it said wise won the job and will leadoff. god i hope he sux *angry*

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
His obp is a eye poping .302

His career OBP in the major leagues is .254 and in the minors its .310. He's 31. KW really screwed the pooch thinking he and/or Owens are major league players, let alone top of the line-up guys.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
it said wise won the job and will leadoff. god i hope he sux *angry*

Totally agree. I want to see Anderson take the job from him, but it'll be hard for Brian to do it if he is only getting starts vs. LHP.

Sad to see Egbert go. Bittersweet on Owens. I really wanted to see Wise named the 4th OF but I guess my hopes were too high.

I'm a BA fan, and this will be his first legitimate shot since 2006. Its all up to him. If he blows or gets hurt, I will move on. I'm going with BA to be the Quentin of 2009. He won't put up the numbers Quentin did last year, but I think BA will put up the numbers KW thought he would. .270 BA 25 homers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
I hope he doesn't suck, but I know he will.

I can't disagree, and the leadoff idea for him or Ba ins downright scary. Still, it's "pop the cork" time with Owens gone.

I want Egbert on the roster after a MacDougal trade. Things could work out after all.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
I never thought they'd cut Owens and keep a 31 year old AAAA player. He must have really been terrible

The numbers speak for themselves. I dont think Owens had an extra base hit all spring training, and he was thrown out stealing in something like 6 of his first 7 attempts

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm a BA fan, and this will be his first legitimate shot since 2006. Its all up to him. If he blows or gets hurt, I will move on. I'm going with BA to be the Quentin of 2009. He won't put up the numbers Quentin did last year, but I think BA will put up the numbers KW thought he would. .270 BA 25 homers.

Well, that would be awesome. I hope you're right, DA.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I hope he doesn't suck, but I know he will.

i hope he does right away so ba can play or so they can get someone else. i just hope that when he does suck,they dont keep playing him and we a repeat of last sept.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
So how many games before Getz is moved to the leadoff spot?

Common sense would say 0, however we are dealing with a couple of huge egos who have been trying their best to go against the grain so they can have the "no one understands what were doing, except us" routine when they are successful just so they can stroke their own egos even more. Its amazing how they run that false modesty act and how many fall for it. When the s*** hit the fan in 2007, they didn't stand up and take full responsibility, just threw out several excuses.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
i hope he does right away so ba can play or so they can get someone else. i just hope that when he does suck,they dont keep playing him and we a repeat of last sept.

I hope wise hits .330 and is a 20/20 player.

Will it happen? NO

but... I will not root for someone on the Sox to suck. Sounds like you are more of a fan of the names on back of a jersey, instead of the logo on front.

Gonzales also posted the 25-man roster: http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....sox-roster.html

So is the backup catcher decided? He is showing Miller.

Pitchers

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Contreras

Colon

Richard

Carrasco

MacDougal

Thornton

Dotel

Linebrink

Jenks

Catchers

Pierzynski

Miller

Infielders

Konerko

Getz

Ramirez

Fields

Thome

Lillibridge

Betemit

Outfielders

Dye

Anderson

Wise

Quentin

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

Will it happen? NO

but... I will not root for someone on the Sox to suck. Sounds like you are more of a fan of the names on back of a jersey, instead of the logo on front.

I'd root for Wise to turn into an above average CF but it's never going to happen. I'm sure she's rooting against him because she's rooting for the Sox as a whole. As long as Dewayne hits Ozzie is going to leave him out there and let him hurt the pitching staff. It's not as simple as not supporting one player = not supporting the team.

Personally, I've backed Wise as a 4th OF and I think he'd bring some valuable things in that role. But I'll root against him as a starting CF because I want a glove in CF. That doesn't mean I personally dislike him, it means I strongly disagree with what Ozzie believes is the #1 priority of a starting CF.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

Will it happen? NO

u couldnt be more wrong, i have been telling sox fans i know that therye guna be surprised by how fields and getz will play this year. im just realistic and know wise isnt good. theres a reason no one wanted him and he will be garbage this yr. better early rather than ltr so we can address the issue.