Sox vs Pads 3:05 CST

jasonxctf

Scenario, did Ramirez have any AB's in BOS spelling Ortiz when he was hurt and got some additional homers from the DH spot?

At any rate, a pretty amazing statistic. Still, we keep waiting for that inevitable decline year with low 20's homers and a .240-.250 BA from Dye.

Can Willy Mo Pena play CF??

Just kidding...sort of!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Bender with the information that Dye has the most homers of any MLB outfielder over the last four years.

That can't be right, can it? I think he meant RFers, or AL RFers....Manny Ramirez would have to have more HRers than JD?

137 during that time. Maybe that's right?

Jermaine: 31, 44, 28, 34 = 137

Manny: 45, 35, 20, 37 = 137

Soriano: 36, 46, 33, 29 = 144 (second baseman in 2005, disqualified)

Dunn: 40, 40, 40, 40 = 160 (54 games played at 1B over that timespan, I guess he's disqualified)

Carlos Lee: 129

Pat Burrell: 124

Vlad Guerrero: 119

Jason Bay: 119

Carlos Beltran: 117

Matt Holliday: 114

Grady Sizemore: 107

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
He was arguably the second best pitcher in the playoffs as well as a good minor leaguer......oh and he is young but around here that is just another reason to hate a player.

the other lefty, williams was having a great spring. dewayne wise the great, k's

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
That reminds me.. Adam Dunn is a freak.. I hope somehow he gets to the playoffs one day and gets some more recognition.

i've always loved adam dunn - i don't know why he has such a bad rap.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

people just dont like him bcuz his horrible defense and he k's a ton. id take him any day though.

But spring training is spring training...Williams hasn't pitched in the big leagues since 2005 and has had at least two major arm surgeries that he's recovering from. It's obvious his velocity isn't going to be good enough to be effective over 30-50 games.

It would the equivalent of Lucy playing 3-4 times per week to also expect for Williams to magically contribute in the same fashion against all ML hitters.

For the same reason Broadway, Egbert and David Cook didn't make the team, neither did this particular lefty reliever.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)

Me neither, hes a big dumb hillbilly from the bayou who drops bombs on the reg... Whats not to love about that guy.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
people just dont like him bcuz his horrible defense and he k's a ton. id take him any day though.

He also is an interesting case because he's sort of been dragged in to the whole moneyball debate by being almost the ideal moneyball player. Tons of HR, tons of walks, tons of K, no speed, no defensive value. So if you're a fan of specific stats you might love him, if you think those guys are crazy you might take it out on him.

Dunn is just a much better Rob Deer, Cory Snyder or Pete Incaviglia.

I don't think it would have mattered if Wise stopped that ball b4 it got to the fence....it was going to be a double. It wasn't a great route, but the ball really seemed to take off and just got past him. He had all of his momentum going away from the play, if he had caught it, impossible to plant and get anything on the throw.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
He also is an interesting case because he's sort of been dragged in to the whole moneyball debate by being almost the ideal moneyball player. Tons of HR, tons of walks, tons of K, no speed, no defensive value. So if you're a fan of specific stats you might love him, if you think those guys are crazy you might take it out on him.

I don't think Adam Dunn gets nearly enough credit for his speed, he's a big man but as anyone who watches him on a regular basis will tell you; he can move.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
But spring training is spring training...Williams hasn't pitched in the big leagues since 2005 and has had at least two major arm surgeries that he's recovering from. It's obvious his velocity isn't going to be good enough to be effective over 30-50 games.

It would the equivalent of Lucy playing 3-4 times per week to also expect for Williams to magically contribute in the same fashion against all ML hitters.

For the same reason Broadway, Egbert and David Cook didn't make the team, neither did this particular lefty reliever.

but yet wise can play so-so and win the job when he hasnt done anything in the big leagues except for a few decent games lol :angry: well we just have to live with it, hes our cf and thats it

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
Box score says Richard 3.1 IP with 2 hits, no runs, no walks, 3 K's. Looks good. Did he fall apart after that or something?

He'll be good as a long/middle reliever, not a starter (yet).

Considering no-one knows what Colon or Contreras will do, Clayton Richard will be very important to the Sox in that role this season.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Me neither, hes a big dumb hillbilly from the bayou who drops bombs on the reg... Whats not to love about that guy.

how they hell was he only an all star ONCE?

40 homers or more 5 years in a row? only one year under 100 R and RBI in that span. 100 BB each year? HOW is that not an allstar?

Maybe if Williams had been with the organization last year and the staff was more familiar/comfortable with him, I think the White Sox would have been more amenable to taking him to start the season.

MacDougal also really pitched well enough to make the roster, there's no doubt that the odds were stacked against him at the beginning of March. And that $2.65 million contract has to be considered as another factor as well. Maybe, just maybe, he can get hot and they can end up getting some value out of him this year, either performance or trade-wise.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
Maybe if Williams had been with the organization last year and the staff was more familiar/comfortable with him, I think the White Sox would have been more comfortable taking him to start the season.

MacDougal also really pitched well enough to make the roster, there's no doubt that the odds were stacked against him at the beginning of March.

yeah i don't know about that. Sisco? Logan? etc?