Special thread dedicated to shots at Wise

caulfield12

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
One more shot at Wise here ... Did anyone else notice that Wise didn't seem to know which way to turn on that bomb to CF that Burls gave up?

yeah, he's not a very good CF which is why I think if BA and Wise are going to give you basically the same thing at the plate it makes much more sense to me to have BA play because he is a much better defender. I still have no idea why the hell Wise was still in CF in the 9th.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
yeah, he's not a very good CF which is why I think if BA and Wise are going to give you basically the same thing at the plate it makes much more sense to me to have BA play because he is a much better defender. I still have no idea why the hell Wise was still in CF in the 9th.

Agreed on all points.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
One more shot at Wise here ... Did anyone else notice that Wise didn't seem to know which way to turn on that bomb to CF that Burls gave up?

The wind got a hold of that ball. He's not a very good CF but I don't blame him for that play. It took off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
The wind got a hold of that ball. He's not a very good CF but I don't blame him for that play. It took off.

Ok, I hadn't considered that. I just know what I thought as I watched him try and track it down

If moving Getz from the #2 spot to the leadoff spot will ruin his career or damage it in anyway, he's not going to have a very good career anyway. Put him or Ramirez at the top.(Even though I like Ramirez low in the line-up) but 8th sort of wastes him too. Move Wise to 8 or 9, maybe 9, moving Fields to 8 and the team will be far better off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
If moving Getz from the #2 spot to the leadoff spot will ruin his career or damage it in anyway, he's not going to have a very good career anyway. Put him or Ramirez at the top.(Even though I like Ramirez low in the line-up) but 8th sort of wastes him too. Move Wise to 8 or 9, maybe 9, moving Fields to 8 and the team will be far better off.

I agree with you 100% about the Getz comment, but don't you think if they are going to move Wise that far down they're better of putting BA in due to his superior D?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
I agree with you 100% about the Getz comment, but don't you think if they are going to move Wise that far down they're better of putting BA in due to his superior D?

I'd have him there for D regardless.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)

I would but they seem to think Wise will rake RHP. I'm a huge fan of BA, but when he gets his opportunity this year, he's going to have to put up or shut up. He must hit. I think he will.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
I would but they seem to think Wise will rake RHP. I'm a huge fan of BA, but when he gets his opportunity this year, he's going to have to put up or shut up. He must hit. I think he will.

Yep. It's now or never for BA. But like you, I think he'll do the job.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Yep. It's now or never for BA. But like you, I think he'll do the job.

If he only gets 150 or so scattered at bats again this season, I think he'll do an adequate job as a part time player, but he's not going to put up numbers that will shock anyone.

He tried out for the team, and management picked him to start. If that's the wrong choice, he personally should not be booed while at the plate, he wronged no one, and treating him as such does nothing to help his confidence or ability to deliver when needed....that behavior is wrong..just wrong...... and counterproductive to the team effort.

when mgmt traded roward away and anderson couldn't do the job mgmt picked him to do in his place, did the crowd boo him everytime he came up to the plate???

I'm the camp that BA is the better overall choice, but while Wise it in, I'd rather see him have the best chance at delivernig some of the sparks he did last year by having the crowd back him in the spirit of backging the White Sox. Let him do what his ability allows, and hv mgmt act accordingly in the coming weeks, but don't help doom him to failure--that's just sh**y fansmanship...

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
He tried out for the team, and management picked him to start. If that's the wrong choice, he personally should not be booed while at the plate, he wronged no one, and treating him as such does nothing to help his confidence or ability to deliver when needed....that behavior is wrong..just wrong...... and counterproductive to the team effort.

when mgmt traded roward away and anderson couldn't do the job mgmt picked him to do in his place, did the crowd boo him everytime he came up to the plate???

I'm the camp that BA is the better overall choice, but while Wise it in, I'd rather see him have the best chance at delivernig some of the sparks he did last year by having the crowd back him in the spirit of backging the White Sox. Let him do what his ability allows, and hv mgmt act accordingly in the coming weeks, but don't help doom him to failure--that's just sh**y fansmanship...

To be fair, nobody booed him every time he stepped up to the plate...it was just that once, when he super mega failed to perform a basic lead off man task in a critical situation. That was the only time he was booed that I saw, and more to the point, I think people were booing the "typical Sox failure" situation more than they were booing Wise.

As for affecting his confidence and ability to deliver? Let's not act like he's a hot dog salesman making 5$ an hour. At MINIMUM, so long as he stays in the majors, he's making about 500K this year. I say that because in 2002 he made 200K, in 2004 he made 350K...feel free to do the math, I'm guessing he makes about a half-mil now, if not more. So boo-hoo to his confidence under pressure. He's paid VERY well to make do with failing and then getting booed for said failure. :P

Now go tell your brother/son/cousin/father Dwayne Wise to buck up and start performing. :P :P :P

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
To be fair, nobody booed him every time he stepped up to the plate...it was just that once, when he super mega failed to perform a basic lead off man task in a critical situation. That was the only time he was booed that I saw, and more to the point, I think people were booing the "typical Sox failure" situation more than they were booing Wise.

As for affecting his confidence and ability to deliver? Let's not act like he's a hot dog salesman making 5$ an hour. At MINIMUM, so long as he stays in the majors, he's making about 500K this year. I say that because in 2002 he made 200K, in 2004 he made 350K...feel free to do the math, I'm guessing he makes about a half-mil now, if not more. So boo-hoo to his confidence under pressure. He's paid VERY well to make do with failing and then getting booed for said failure. :P

Now go tell your brother/son/cousin/father Dwayne Wise to buck up and start performing. :P :P :P

Wise was booed after every AB. There even were a few when he was introduced.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Wise was booed after every AB. There even were a few when he was introduced.

The few when he was introduced are the typical obnoxious fans and they are better off ignored. But when a lead off man K's, expect some boo's, when he K's twice, expect more...and when he botches a critical lead off situation, expect what he got.

Again, too damn bad.

And the few boos the first times were meh -- it was the final time that everyone noticed...because until you just said this, I didn't notice him getting booed the first few times, so I'm just taking your word that it even happened.

Cleveland fans boo Jim Thome, too. There are always idiots.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
The few when he was introduced are the typical obnoxious fans and they are better off ignored. But when a lead off man K's, expect some boo's, when he K's twice, expect more...and when he botches a critical lead off situation, expect what he got.

Again, too damn bad.

And the few boos the first times were meh -- it was the final time that everyone noticed...because until you just said this, I didn't notice him getting booed the first few times, so I'm just taking your word that it even happened.

Cleveland fans boo Jim Thome, too. There are always idiots.

How come they didn't boo when Quentin fanned before Thome homered? Or when AJP and Ramirez had back to back pop outs with the bases loaded an nobody out? The boos were very noticeable for Wise. Unfortunately for Wise, he isn't very good but has been put in a position with a lot of responsibility that he probably doesn't have the ability to fulfill.. He has become the USCF whipping boy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
How come they didn't boo when Quentin fanned before Thome homered? Or when AJP and Ramirez had back to back pop outs with the bases loaded an nobody out? The boos were very noticeable for Wise. Unfortunately for Wise, he isn't very good but has been put in a position with a lot of responsibility that he probably doesn't have the ability to fulfill.. He has become the USCF whipping boy.

Why? Because Quentin, AJ and Ramirez have done a LOT more for this team than D-Weezy has. And as a leadoff hitter, ON OPENING DAY, to get a hat trick and two failed sacrifices...thatsa no goood. hamburgers happens in one at bat. But, 3 K's and really nothing to show for anything...i mean, c'mon.

He's doing the best he can, but that's probably not going to be good enough.

If you need to me answer this question, the team you should be cheering is a few miles north. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Why? Because Quentin, AJ and Ramirez have done a LOT more for this team than D-Weezy has. And as a leadoff hitter, ON OPENING DAY, to get a hat trick and two failed sacrifices...thatsa no goood. hamburgers happens in one at bat. But, 3 K's and really nothing to show for anything...i mean, c'mon.

So they boo'd him because he sucks? Damn, Sox fans had better stay away from handicapped kids. :bang

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

Of course its not. The point is, he's not capable of doing the things the crowd wants him to do. He shouldn't be booed. I am very critical of White Sox players, but the only player I have ever booed is Jaime Navarro for his piss poor attitude. Its alright IMO to be frustrated with a player or think he absolutely blows, but to boo a guy giving all he's got is just wrong. The people responsible for putting him in a position where he cannot succed should be booed. Boo Ozzie and Kenny.

that's my whole point, booing a management decision vs. booing the individual beyond a reasonable expectation of the individual's ability in the situation.

I wasn't at the game, and it wasn't televised here, but from what I read in the previous posts he was booed repeatedly, on opening day, against a very good KC pitcher-- if he came up to bat in the first and cheers overrode a few boos than I stand corrected...

again he was put in this spot by management, and is making near league minimum, he generally plays with more passion and heart than half the regular starters INCLUDING an overly relaxed BA, he's not a 12M per year Konerko hitting .205, he didn't defect from a team to another team in search of a bigger payday, he's a career minor leaguer who played hard in ST and was chosen by mgmt to start in place of a guy who still isn't performing to the level that was hoped for.....not his fault, he did nothing to warrant this treatment on the first home game of the season against a stud pitcher, where the whole lineup managed 1 run through 7......

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Of course its not. The point is, he's not capable of doing the things the crowd wants him to do. He shouldn't be booed. I am very critical of White Sox players, but the only player I have ever booed is Jaime Navarro for his piss poor attitude. Its alright IMO to be frustrated with a player or think he absolutely blows, but to boo a guy giving all he's got is just wrong. The people responsible for putting him in a position where he cannot succed should be booed. Boo Ozzie and Kenny.

People do.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
If you need to me answer this question, the team you should be cheering is a few miles north. :P

So if the guy leading off the game strikes out, expect some boos. But if you load the bases with nobody out and the next 2 guys pop up, no boos? or to question it means I should be a Cubs fan? I know Dewayne Wise sucks. I just don't understand why there is a need to boo HIM. He didn't make out the line-up card or select the roster.