Special thread dedicated to shots at Wise

caulfield12

The only reason someone on the Sox should ever be booed on opening day is if he is obviously dogging it. One crappy game should not bring that kind of reaction even if he strikes out 5 times with 3 errors. It's a new season. Give him a chance to do his best. Send Ozzie an email or call a radio show if you want Anderson. Wise is not the best choice but that is not his fault. Let the man try to make a living and win us some games while he is on the field.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood booing in my life. I can honestly say i have never booed anyone, for any reason, at any point in time. I think whoever does boo (players their own team) is nothing less than a jackass. How anyone can think a player is intentionally screwing up is beyond me. I know it is very hard to look past all the money these players get paid but no one will convince me they want to win any less than the fans.

You guys are taking his ''booing'' harder than wise is i'm sure. He probally forgot all about it once thome hit that homerun. Wise is a professional (whether we want to believe it or not), rather certain he has been booed at other points in his entire baseball career.

I realize the ''boos'' are directed towards management for having wise in a position to fail but he is the only source to let out the anger so everyone has to accept that and get on with it. Ozzie and williams are not on the field, other than when ozzie changes pitchers. Does anyone here really expect ''booing'' or a chant to get started against ozzie concerning wise when he comes out to change pitchers? Extremely doubtful.

Anyone in the entertainment business, exactly what baseball is, deals with critics. Either you get over it or you go home. There is very little room for error. Take and actor or actress for instance, they can make six great movies in a row... everyone loves them. The first one that bombs, people want their head, and people start flinging the s***. Once more they either get over it or they stop making movies, really the only choice they have. If everyone took everything to heart very few people would be where they are to day, in all fields of work, and even life itself.

I understood wishing for wise to fail in spring training because anderson is clearly the better candidate due to how weak the sox are defensively. Now it is entirely a different story. Anyone who actually wishes for wise to fail at this point is foolish, because believe it or not, it hurts the sox, ''in the now''. If he just so happens to fail so be it and we shall move on to another option.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
av-7085.jpg

Whoa - Lawrence Arms - one of my good friends was semi-roadie for them way back when

I think there's a lot of overreaction here to Game 1. People reflect on Wise's career stats, but the whole point is there's a guy here with some speed who actually had a nicer Spring than he's used to having....and he has had a nicer 12 months or so than he's ever used to having.

So there's a chance he has figured something out late in his career. Maybe the chance isnt huge, but it's worth exploring over all our other options.

People talk up Brian like he's been robbed, but in truth it's a situation where both players had nice springs, but the slot that has to be filled here is a guy with speed. Brian can't take second base like Wise.

Ozzie's thinking has to be - if Wise works, this has a chance at being a great offense. If Brian works, we have a #9 hitter, and improved defense.

The upside of that first option is too good to not take an early season look at. You can always put Brian there but you have to find out if there's an on-roster leadoff guy first. Yesterday was one game and I think a lot of vocal Sox fans at the park yesterday embarassed themselves.

Beyond all that though, booing's totally pointless. Football fans can change a game by being vocal. In baseball, what happened yesterday during each at-bat was either having zero effect, or it made the home team player more self-conscious and thus worse. But yea it's a great idea.

Edited by Princess Dye

Its time the White Sox give up a Broadway or something for Reggie Willits. I don't think Willits is the greatest player in the world, but he would be a good fit and a guy to take a chance on. He might have just played ridiculously over his head during that one season in Anaheim, but he has a very good high and should at least put up a .340 OBP while playing mediocre defense in CF.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Its time the White Sox give up a Broadway or something for Reggie Willits. I don't think Willits is the greatest player in the world, but he would be a good fit and a guy to take a chance on. He might have just played ridiculously over his head during that one season in Anaheim, but he has a very good high and should at least put up a .340 OBP while playing mediocre defense in CF.

Would the Angels give him up for that price?

While the team's obviously not high on Broadway, they probably still want to gauge the possibility of Beckham to SS and Alexei to CF as a fallback plan if the offense is solid but not excellent come the 2nd half of the year. And obviously that's predicated on Beckham tearing it up and leaving no doubt at AA

That's the only explanation I can make for why they didnt do some lateral move to get a halfway decent CF in here. b/c yeah, it's a hole and they shouldve filled it. It could have been done cheaply.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Would the Angels give him up for that price?

Broadway is capable of jumping in and the Angels clearly have some potential holes in the rotation if Santana/Lackey have hiccups. I think it would be a possibility, especially given how many guys are ahead of Willits on the totum pole. Maybe swing a relief prospect plus Broadway and see if they bite.

Something like Nunez/Santeliz/Omogrosso AND Broadway/Egbert/Marquez/Ely...along those lines.

Actually, that seems to be TOO much to give up for Willits. I wouldn't mind giving up those starters, but I think Santeliz and Omogrosso should be retained if at all possible to see what they can do...not to mention the fact that odds are Carasco or MacDougal will need to be replaced this season due to non-performance.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
that .293 AVG/.363 BABIP and 0.51 ISO Willits put up in 2007 to go along with a very poor CF UZR conjure up words like "fluke" and "marginal player".

He did have a babip of 358. in double a in 2005... in 2006 it was .375... both of which are rather impressive as you know. He has a nice idea of the strike zone but that is about where it ends. He has 108 extra base hits in 1647 at-bats (14 home runs) leaves a lot to be desired... along with his lacking defense, of course. I want nothing to do with him unless he was extremely cheap.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
It's just too bad Jordan Danks doesn't have a full season under his belt...so that he could be a part of the conversation.

There's just no way they can jump him that quickly to have an impact this year, could they?

No.

Edited by qwerty

I saw Nunez pitch and he had very little in the shape of a breaking ball and that meant that he got hammered in the minor league game I saw him pitch in. His velocity looked good, but as a whole wasn't a fan of his delivery or secondary stuff. Small sample size though. But a package involving Santeliz or Omogrosso plus the other guys you mention is too much for a guy that has no shot at a starting job in Anaheim and is considered an older minor leaguer in general with limited tools.

QUOTE (ChesterCopperpot @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
We need some Wise lovers on this board. It's a bit boring hearing everyone bash the guy over and over.

I plan on filling that void with my unbridled love for Moses. 2/4 2 runs and a SB tonight.

I love you DE WAYNE!

I'm all for Wise. I like the idea of a bat that can get hot, as he seemed to at times last year. I think that's a more valuable trait than our other options at the position.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I'm all for Wise. I like the idea of a bat that can get hot, as he seemed to at times last year. I think that's a more valuable trait than our other options at the position.

I don't mind the idea that he can get hot. He obviously can. But he can also go cold for long stretches as well. My problem is him batting leadoff is not what is best for the team. We have multiple better options right now and DeWayne Wise should not be getting the most ABs of anyone on this team. If you want to start him put him in the 9 spot. Uribe's bat could get hot but he was never the leadoff man.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
I don't mind the idea that he can get hot. He obviously can. But he can also go cold for long stretches as well. My problem is him batting leadoff is not what is best for the team. We have multiple better options right now and DeWayne Wise should not be getting the most ABs of anyone on this team. If you want to start him put him in the 9 spot. Uribe's bat could get hot but he was never the leadoff man.

Agreed. I think difference being that with Wise there's a chance he can turn singles into doubles with basestealing. Uribe wont do that.

Obviously what remains to be seen is if he can get on first enough for that to matter.

In the end I think he'll be in the 9-slot but I guess what's infuriating people most here is the sneaking suspicion that Ozzie doesnt even know his own guys OBPs.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
I already feel bad for Wise. It's like Mackowiak all over again. It's not his fault he was put in CF, even though he couldn't play it. He did his best out there and played pretty much as well as expected.

If Wise performs essentially like he has in the past, at a minor league level of play, then you really can't get mad at him. What sense would that make?

Too many people will yell stupid s*** at Wise, but that's wrong.

Blame the GM (or manager for putting him leadoff), not the player.

That's a very apt comparison and I agree completely on all of it. They're two players that could be quite valuable in a specific role being taken out of their element and asked to do something that they're just not capable of doing. Dewayne Wise seems like a decent enough guy and has some talent, it's a shame that he's been thrust into a position in which he will not succeed when he could instead be a valuable member of someone's bench. I may not be the biggest fan of his game but I hope when all is said and done this experience doesn't drive him out of the sport, he should have a decent future in the NL as a 4th/5th outfielder even if he is on the wrong side of 30. (s***, if Darnell McDonald can get an opening day start in 2009 then Dweezy should be able to stick around)

i think the jordan danks love needs to be cooled considerably....he was passed on 209 times in the draft last year....i know part of it was cuz of boras (who he then dropped)...but still he wasn't gonna be a top 2 round pick with a normal agent after a pretty mediocre career at texas....just my opinion, but i don't expect him to become much more than a 4th OFer

I turned on the radio just on time to hear the crowd boo Wise out of Chicago after bunting up a popup.

Oh, but Brian Anderson will get his chance on the 7th game of the season, against Liriano, while Wise continues to embarras himself.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)
I turned on the radio just on time to hear the crowd boo Wise out of Chicago after bunting up a popup.

Oh, but Brian Anderson will get his chance on the 7th game of the season, against Liriano, while Wise continues to embarras himself.

I just don't know what the f*** KW was thinking this offseason. He was too busy trying to clean up his mistakes from last offseason (Swisher, OC's arb), and inexcusably did nothing to help this 25 man roster. It's honestly one of the worst GM decisions you'll ever see, and it's reflected in the booing by our great fans (I mean this sincerely, as it's fantastic to see people booing the decisions being made).

whats even more inexcusable is that your opening day CF last year, is still on the roster, yet you didnt even try him in CF for 1 inning this spring, when in the near future you could forseeably have a glut of decent middle IF options