Special thread dedicated to shots at Wise

caulfield12

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
I still think Wise will be our CF and leadoff hitter come June.

Ozzie is the most stubborn manager in the league.

If he does what he is doing now...which if you look at his career he will....there is not a chance in hell he makes it out of April.

Last year they gave Alexei a couple weeks he was done, and they were high on him in ST.

Wise will be gone 100% certain, its just a shame that we have to put up with him to start the season off.

I think the only way we can judge the changes KW has made (offensively) from last year to this year is to do what he says and look at 1-2 and 8-9 in the order. Of course, the problem is you'd prefer to get Fields AND Ramirez more ab's than the top 2, not less...obviously more than Wise.

Obviously Ramirez and Wise aren't hitting, but Getz and Fields have looked like they belong and bring more athleticism to the line-up. The next threads to pop up will be "What's wrong with TCQ?" or "Was last year a career year for Alexei?" if we lose again today and they continue to struggle.

I wonder if Hawk bringing up the whole "one year timeline" for CQ to be 100% healthwise that they're already preparing to trot out that excuse across the board for this season?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7962255.story

Wow Walk, I guess you have no choice but to support all your players, but you're going to look very silly in retrospect.

"To be honest with you, I don't like a couple of his (last) at-bats," Guillen said. "I don't think he wants to strike out. I want him to be aggressive. There are a lot of guys in the big leagues who struggle right now. But I can see he's trying to feel for the ball, trying to make contact. A strikeout is not the best way to approach as a hitter, but a ground ball is an out, too."

Already throwing Wise under the bus, nice Ozzie...if baseball is 90% mental, there's just no way Wise is going to succeed putting this much pressure on himself. He'll become another Quentin or Konerko.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox09.article

Even more quotes on the leadoff situation, Ozzie's stubborn nature and the early booing of Wise.

''I don't think that's this kid's fault about leading off,'' Guillen continued. ''It's my fault. I take responsibility for it ... I would rather they boo me.''

Wise wisely agreed with his manager.

“I don’t want to say I’m trying not to strike out,” said Wise, who has 4 Ks in 8 ABs. “I’ll say I haven’t been aggressive. I think I’m kind of caught in between. Being the leadoff guy, the object is to get on base. So I think I’m feeling for the ball rather than just swinging.”

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:27 AM)
I think the only way we can judge the changes KW has made (offensively) from last year to this year is to do what he says and look at 1-2 and 8-9 in the order. Of course, the problem is you'd prefer to get Fields AND Ramirez more ab's than the top 2, not less...obviously more than Wise.

Obviously Ramirez and Wise aren't hitting, but Getz and Fields have looked like they belong and bring more athleticism to the line-up. The next threads to pop up will be "What's wrong with TCQ?" or "Was last year a career year for Alexei?" if we lose again today and they continue to struggle.

I wonder if Hawk bringing up the whole "one year timeline" for CQ to be 100% healthwise that they're already preparing to trot out that excuse across the board for this season?

Quentin's wrist injury is most definitely a reason for concern. He broke his right hand, which is his dominant hand, a great deal of your bat speed comes from your top hand. Hawk was not making an excuse for him, just telling it like it is in this case. If anyone is expecting the same quentin as last year. well let's say it is unlikely he will be on par. Quentin will still be a good hitter in the league this year... do not get me wrong. I envision anywhere from a .850-880 range him due to the circumstance ridiculous circumstance he put himself in. There will be no one else to blame his upcoming hardships (in comparsion to his very, very good season he just had) other than himself.

Edited by qwerty

BA isn't even an automatic out, the guy was actually pretty successful in the minors and cleaned up his swing last year.

He's had sporadic playing time, give him a month to start and see how he hits, I guarantee he'll be around .250/.310/.450.

its completely the managers fault for putting a guy who isn't a patient, on base type hitter in the leadoff, and then asking him to be a patient, on base type hitter.....especially when that guy is a 31 year old first time starter

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
f***ing A. Getz hitting leadoff with AJ in the 2 hole and Wise hitting 8th today.

I'm completely ok with that lineup. Wise at #8 is doable. Less pressure and I still think he's a smidge better than BA at the plate. Just never belonged at the leadoff spot.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:41 AM)
f***ing A. Getz hitting leadoff with AJ in the 2 hole and Wise hitting 8th today.

Wow, that didn't take long. The only question now is why Anderson isn't in the lineup.

AJ in the two-hole worked surprisingly well last year. I'd rather have Alexei there, but I can't say that I'm upset about it.

I hope the crowd gets off Wise's back now. It really was like if the CFO of a company left and was replaced by the janitor, and if people got upset because the janitor screwed up. Wise was not at fault. Its good that Ozzie admitted he was the one to blame and appears to be ending this experiment before it costs the White Sox games.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
Wow, that didn't take long. The only question now is why Anderson isn't in the lineup.

AJ in the two-hole worked surprisingly well last year. I'd rather have Alexei there, but I can't say that I'm upset about it.

Eh, I'd rather AJ not be there, but nobody on the team is really much better. I'd rather give Alexei more at-bats, but it's not like we're talking about a significant difference. Besides, Alexei kind of sucks right now.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Because it's not Wise's fault he's getting trotted out there for something he's not able to do.

Yes, it is. He can't hit, if he can't hit, and he can't field, and he's thirty-freaking one he should just retire. I admire his determination, but it's all for naught when your skillset is that of a leadofff man and you can't leadoff.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Yes, it is. He can't hit, if he can't hit, and he can't field, and he's thirty-freaking one he should just retire. I admire his determination, but it's all for naught when your skillset is that of a leadofff man and you can't leadoff.

It's not his fault he was put in the leadoff spot. It's Ozzie and KW's. His skill set is not that of a leadoff man, it's that of a 4th outfielder, and he can be a pretty solid 4th outfielder too. There are a lot of guys around the entire game that could be good 4th outfielders.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:05 AM)
BA isn't even an automatic out, the guy was actually pretty successful in the minors and cleaned up his swing last year.

He's had sporadic playing time, give him a month to start and see how he hits, I guarantee he'll be around .250/.310/.450.

Scott Ruffcorn was lights out in the minors as well, he did what in the majors?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
There's no real harm in giving him a chance though, is there?

He could swoon all of the women in Chicago so badly that they'll all turn communists. Then, next thing we know, we'll have an African American Chicagoan Communist as our President.

Wait a minute...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
He could swoon all of the women in Chicago so badly that they'll all turn communists. Then, next thing we know, we'll have an African American Chicagoan Communist as our President.

Wait a minute...

s***, get him out of the country now

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Scott Ruffcorn was lights out in the minors as well, he did what in the majors?

Scott Ruffcorn is your response? Really?

Well Maggs did well when he was given a shot, if we can just cherry pick any minor leaguer ever in the Sox minor league system