Junior out for the year!

Ishmookie

I've gotta say that Griffey is the most likely guy to have been on steroids that I can think of.  He's ALWAYS injured, and if I'm not mistaken, isn't that one of the things that steroids does to your body?  Make it more injury-prone?  You look at this guy 5 years ago, and he was in great physical shape.  Not an ounce of fat, could run like the wind, jump like nobody else in the league...and yet he's always hurt?  That just doesn't make sense.  And it's not just 1 thing like it is with Grant Hill and his foot/ankle.  Griffey has had problems with his shoulder, his knee, and now his ankle.  Something just doesn't add up IMO.   :huh:

Edit...and now that I look at his stats, I'm convinced that's what he did.  Look at this.  In his first 4 years (his 1st wasn't quite a full season, but he had 500 plate appearances so it's close enough), he hit 16, 22, 22, and 27 HR, respectively.  That comes out to just under 22 per season.  Then, over the next 7 full seasons (excluding 1995 where he only played in 72 games due to injury), he hit 45, 40, 49, 56, 56, 48, and 40.  That's an average of nearly 48 a season.  That's more or less what Sammy Sosa did in terms of monster increases, and everyone here thinks he's on the juice, so the same would have to hold true to Griffey.  The only difference between the 2 players is that Sosa is almost never hurt.

If I am correct in saying that he's suffering the effects of steroid use, it's sad -- he had talent, and didn't need to f*** it up like that.

I don't buy that at all. Griffey's injuries were not only freakish, but as a general rule could be attributed to some specific happening.

I am not an expert on steroids, but I don't see Griffey as being someone on them. I think the guy has just had an incredible run of bad luck. It does happen.

How do you explain the sudden increase in his power numbers? :huh:

The guy was the #1 pick overall in the draft, its not like he was Brady Anderson coming out of no where. There were huge expectations of him.

Maybe so, but the numbers don't lie.

The guy was the #1 pick overall in the draft, its not like he was Brady Anderson coming out of no where.  There were huge expectations of him.

Ahhh.. Brady Anderson.. if he wasn't takin shots I'm the Queen of England!!

Guest hotsoxchick1
I doubt Griffey was on steroids. He isn't very bulky, in fact, up until this off season, he didn't even lift weights. His dad was fairly injury prone, its probably genetic.

id have to agree with you.. he was never a very big guy .... i dont think hes on roids........he just had problems since leaving seattle.. maybe he didnt make the adjustment to the nl as well as some do????? who knows.. but he is having a streak of bad luck with the injuries......its too bad really......

Cluj, that could also be a guy that was full of potential that finally came into his own.  Lots of guys develop their power stroke after they are in the big leagues for a few years.

Yes, it could be. I just threw the steroid possibility out there to see if I was the only one who thought it was possible. I don't dislike Griffey, and I wish he'd get healthy so we could see what he's got left in the tank -- but I just don't see it happening.

Grif was only 19 when he hit the show, so naturally the power came later. He has a tremendous home run swing that generates power and sacrifices average. That swing has been copied by others, most notably Jim Edmonds. I don't think his power was steroid induced.

I feel sorry for the Reds. They still have to pay him.

I've gotta say that Griffey is the most likely guy to have been on steroids that I can think of.  He's ALWAYS injured, and if I'm not mistaken, isn't that one of the things that steroids does to your body?  Make it more injury-prone?  You look at this guy 5 years ago, and he was in great physical shape.  Not an ounce of fat, could run like the wind, jump like nobody else in the league...and yet he's always hurt?  That just doesn't make sense.  And it's not just 1 thing like it is with Grant Hill and his foot/ankle.  Griffey has had problems with his shoulder, his knee, and now his ankle.  Something just doesn't add up IMO.   :huh:

Edit...and now that I look at his stats, I'm convinced that's what he did.  Look at this.  In his first 4 years (his 1st wasn't quite a full season, but he had 500 plate appearances so it's close enough), he hit 16, 22, 22, and 27 HR, respectively.  That comes out to just under 22 per season.  Then, over the next 7 full seasons (excluding 1995 where he only played in 72 games due to injury), he hit 45, 40, 49, 56, 56, 48, and 40.  That's an average of nearly 48 a season.  That's more or less what Sammy Sosa did in terms of monster increases, and everyone here thinks he's on the juice, so the same would have to hold true to Griffey.  The only difference between the 2 players is that Sosa is almost never hurt.

If I am correct in saying that he's suffering the effects of steroid use, it's sad -- he had talent, and didn't need to f*** it up like that.

I don't buy that at all. Griffey's injuries were not only freakish, but as a general rule could be attributed to some specific happening.

I am not an expert on steroids, but I don't see Griffey as being someone on them. I think the guy has just had an incredible run of bad luck. It does happen.

Getting older thats what tends to happen. Look at Garret Anderson for example.

Getting older thats what tends to happen. Look at Garret Anderson for example.

Maybe we should have him pee in a cup too. ;)

Which do you all think is more important in hitting consistent homeruns: 1) Good technique, and the ability to get the sweet part of the bat on the ball often? 2) Being very strong and muscling the ball out of the park all the time? I think technique is very important, and Junior has got the sweetest swing. Also, on the thought of swings, I absolutley love Raffy Palmeiro's. Just the way he swings so soft and launches the ball. I think that is technique.

Which do you all think is more important in hitting consistent homeruns: 1) Good technique, and the ability to get the sweet part of the bat on the ball often? 2) Being very strong and muscling the ball out of the park all the time?    I think technique is very important, and Junior has got the sweetest swing.  Also, on the thought of swings, I absolutley love Raffy Palmeiro's.  Just the way he swings so soft and launches the ball.  I think that is technique.

I think the most important thing is staying healthy. You can have the sweetest swing in the world, but if you're always on the DL, what good is it going to do you?

Do you just post to see yourself type?

I wonder that about a lot of people on here. I'd say there are about 10 people that post that actually have something to say when they type. The other 30-40 regulars are pretty useless, IMO. :ph34r:

Clujer, I have no idea how you managed to answer my post in the way you did.  Health, while very important, had nothing to do with it. Other than Griffey's swing, the rest wasn't even about him.

You asked what the most important thing was for a player to have in order to be a consistent HR hitter, and you listed technique and a powerful swing as your choices. I don't think it's either one. While both are important, I think the MOST important is a player staying healthy for 12-15 years. If a power hitter can do that, they have a real shot at 400 career HR.