Guillen on Freddy Garcia's release by Mets

caulfield12

Which raised the question of whether the Sox would consider re-signing Freddy Garcia, whom the New York Mets released after he had posted an 0-2 record and an 8.18 ERA in two starts at Triple-A Buffalo.

"He'll find a job and hopefully he'll pitch better for the next team," Guillen said of Garcia, who pitched for the Sox from 2004-06 and is married to the niece of Guillen's wife, Ibis. "I'm not going to say for us yet because I don't know anything about it. But he will find a job.

"I don't think he should retire. There are a lot of worse guys out there. A lot are very bad. And there are a lot better than him. But Freddy can still help. If Freddy's healthy ... Freddy knows how to pitch. And right now, that's my view."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

With Marquez struggling in AAA, and Egbert apparently given only 2 chances, and Broadway just not being that good... maybe Freddy for cheap as a long reliever? Might not be the worst idea in the world. Not like he's blocking anyone who is ready to step into that role right now.

The worse part is, what do we do when Colon or Contreras go down? This is going to be a developmental season, imo, unless the offense really can carry this squad when we are throwing scrubs out there as 4th and 5th's later in the season. But hopefully by than Poreda or someone else comes on like wildfire.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
With Marquez struggling in AAA, and Egbert apparently given only 2 chances, and Broadway just not being that good... maybe Freddy for cheap as a long reliever? Might not be the worst idea in the world. Not like he's blocking anyone who is ready to step into that role right now.

Marquez was just DL'd.

I love Ozzie.

He thinks Garcia should keep pitching, becuase there are pitchers out there that are 'very bad'...what a grand endorsement. Hey buddy, keep pitching, there are some who actually suck worse than you.

No knock on FG...the guy was a stud when he was needed the most, the anti-Javy. He took his starts and gave his all. When you needed a good start in a big game Freddy delivered the goods. I have nothing but positive things to say about his time in Chicago.