Beckham Promoted to AAA

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
And the winner is...TLAK

+1

Unless they keep him at SS but one of the only competent players we have in Charlotte plays SS in Eidier Torres, though I think maybe he's been at 2B since Lillibridge got demoted. Anyways, 3B would be the logical position for him to be playing in Charlotte as Castillo has been a disaster there and it's really the only place he could play on the infield if he gets promoted again.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
well, the first part of his quote was "I also predict Fields/Poreda will be used as a centerpiece to a deal to land a top of the rotation pitcher", so I guess it has everything to with with anything.

That's all folks

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't know if it is official, but after watching Nix and Ramirez play defense last night and with their hitting coming around, Fields might be the weakest link. Third base may be the best place to get Beckham's bat in the lineup.

I agree. Josh was never a defensive genius that's for certain. Only problem is Nix might be a infield supersub and to say his bat is coming aroubnd after one good game-yes 2 homers but still only one good game-might be jumping to conclussions

Edited by elrockinMT

I think something more is going on here.

I think if Carlos goes to the DL... everyone assumes Wise will be getting called up.

But what if it was actually Keith Ginter.

Ginter can play 3rd, 2nd, and OF... and is actually hitting well at AAA.

If it does happen... Ginter is up for a couple of weeks, and unless he doesn't light it up.

When Carlos comes back... Ginter and Fields go down with Slayer coming up.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
I think something more is going on here.

I think if Carlos goes to the DL... everyone assumes Wise will be getting called up.

But what if it was actually Keith Ginter.

Ginter can play 3rd, 2nd, and OF... and is actually hitting well at AAA.

If it does happen... Ginter is up for a couple of weeks, and unless he doesn't light it up.

When Carlos comes back... Ginter and Fields go down with Slayer coming up.

longshot

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
way too much expectation is being placed on this guy, IMO.

With good reason. He's going to be the face of the franchise the next decade.

I'm not saying he should be in Chicago before September, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Jay Bruce spent 4 seasons in the minors (353 games) before getting the call.

Evan Longoria spent 3 seasons in the minors (205 games) before getting the call.

Even Matt Wieters, a guy that most scouts believe will be better than this guy named Joe Mauer, spent a full season and 40 games in the minors before his highly anticipated callup Friday.

Gordon Beckham? A whopping 50 games and we've already decided to bump him to AAA with the obvious intention of calling him up probably sometime in the next few weeks. Oh, yeah, he gets to learn a brand new position, too!

f***ing pathetic!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
Tell me about it. This is a f***ing joke. The pressure on this kid will be immense once he's called up.

Anyone expecting Beckham to save the season is fooling themselves. If he gets called up, I would expect a .750 OPS, solid defense, and the occasional flash of what he may be capable of, and nothing more.

So, honestly guys, is Beckham really the s***? I mean, EVERYONE is doing so much talking about the guy, and I've never seen him play. What are the odds he actually turns out to be something decent? I hope its extremely high, because we need him to be that guy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)

Evan Longoria spent 3 seasons in the minors (205 games) before getting the call.

Even Matt Wieters, a guy that most scouts believe will be better than this guy named Joe Mauer, spent a full season and 40 games in the minors before his highly anticipated callup Friday.

Gordon Beckham? A whopping 50 games and we've already decided to bump him to AAA with the obvious intention of calling him up probably sometime in the next few weeks. Oh, yeah, he gets to learn a brand new position, too!

f***ing pathetic!

Should Beckham's college count for something? It's not like he's a 17 year old Robin Yount or something. In a post steroid / hgh era, where players hit their prime at 27 and decline at 35 maybe they should start bringing these kids up sooner if they are good enough.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)

f***ing pathetic!

How about Ryan Zimmerman?? Or how about fellow draftees who will be in AAA too in Smoak and Wallace.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:04 AM)
So, honestly guys, is Beckham really the s***? I mean, EVERYONE is doing so much talking about the guy, and I've never seen him play. What are the odds he actually turns out to be something decent? I hope its extremely high, because we need him to be that guy.

Beckham is pretty solid in every area of the game. He's got a very fluid swing and nearly always squares up the ball. He's destined for some form of success at the Major League level, i just don't think it should be so early in the year, or at 3rd base.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:07 AM)
Should Beckham's college count for something? It's not like he's a 17 year old Robin Yount or something. In a post steroid / hgh era, where players hit their prime at 27 and decline at 35 maybe they should start bringing these kids up sooner if they are good enough.

Um, all the guys I mentioned went to college. What's your point? And does anybody in their right mind believe Gordon is a better prospect than the 3 guys I mentioned above were? Were they just not good enough to get the call as quickly as it looks like Beckham will?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
How about Ryan Zimmerman?? Or how about fellow draftees who will be in AAA too in Smoak and Wallace.

Smoak and Wallace won't see the majors this year. And they're not being asked to learn a new position. Zimmerman has been an exception. But the point remains. Even the very best prospects spend at least one full season in the minors. This is nothing but an overreaction to the suckfest that has been Josh Fields.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)
Smoak and Wallace won't see the majors this year. And they're not being asked to learn a new position. Zimmerman has been an exception. But the point remains. Even the very best prospects spend at least one full season in the minors. This is nothing but an overreaction to the suckfest that has been Josh Fields.

If someone is ready than they are ready, and I wouldnt be so sure on Wallace/Smoak, they could be an injury away from getting the call up. You are the one over-reacting to everything, Beckham if he does reach the majors is still atleast 1-2 months away so that would be pretty close to a season in the minors.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 28, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)
If someone is ready than they are ready, and I wouldnt be so sure on Wallace/Smoak, they could be an injury away from getting the call up. You are the one over-reacting to everything, Beckham if he does reach the majors is still atleast 1-2 months away so that would be pretty close to a season in the minors.

Accept he's not ready. That's pretty much the point. And I'm not overreacting to anything. Have you not been keeping up? http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,554515.story

And just coincidentally he gets promoted to play, um, 3rd base? It's quite obvious what's going on here.