Derrick Rose's High School Grades Were Altered

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Derrick was really that good to begin with, why the hell did he need the grades to get into Memphis? Is Memphis even a good academic school? Dumbass kids get into Duke just based off athleticism. You're telling me that Luol Deng is that much smarter than Derrick Rose?

Hell, if anything, he would have made the changes to get into either U of I or Indiana, because those schools are actually good at certain majors.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Who here is saying that cheating is okay? f***ing hell guys. Saying "I really don't care" or "this isn't as big of a deal as you guys are making it out to be" isn't the same as "cheating is fine by me."

The difference is, he plays basketball. If he was a top student who got a free ride because of his grades instead of his hops, I would care a lot more. But that's not the case. And the NBA isn't going to do anything about this, so just let it go.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 29, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
The difference is, he plays basketball. If he was a top student who got a free ride because of his grades instead of his hops, I would care a lot more. But that's not the case. And the NBA isn't going to do anything about this, so just let it go.

Pretty much my take on it. Did he do something wrong? Yes. Does it really matter and is anything going to be done? No.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Who here is saying that cheating is okay? f***ing hell guys. Saying "I really don't care" or "this isn't as big of a deal as you guys are making it out to be" isn't the same as "cheating is fine by me."

I agree. But saying it's ok because the CPS are terrible, the NBA's policy is unfair, Rose is stupid, it isn't his major, he's going to be a basketball player, he didn't get a f***ing masters in mathematics, or any of the other justifications why cheating is OK in this case, is far different.

What was done for him, is wrong.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Does it really matter

Yes it matters. Because by doing nothing it means another player gets screwed out of a spot he worked for and earned when someone cheats his way and takes it away from him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
And its not wrong what the NBA or NFL does? They get free development programs and prevent kids who have no business in college from making money. But you keep thinking you're perfect, I'm sure that goes over well.

That's such bulls***. They don't prevent from making money at all. No one is forcing them to go to college. At the end of the day it is still their choice to attend. Plenty of other options out there for them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
If Derrick was really that good to begin with, why the hell did he need the grades to get into Memphis? Is Memphis even a good academic school? Dumbass kids get into Duke just based off athleticism. You're telling me that Luol Deng is that much smarter than Derrick Rose?

Hell, if anything, he would have made the changes to get into either U of I or Indiana, because those schools are actually good at certain majors.

I think Luol is a lot smarter than Rose. Remember, while Deng may not appear that smart in interviews based on talking, he isn't a native speaker like Rose. And at Duke, especially under Coach K, you wouldn't be allowed to be a moron like Rose academically. As much as I hate Duke and K, they take academics seriously and Rose could never have dreamed of going to Duke.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Heh...

You didn't know that Luol Deng has two different sides? There's one that doesn't give a s*** and there's one that plays like an all-star who gets a double-double. Too bad the second side rarely comes out.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
I think Luol is a lot smarter than Rose. Remember, while Deng may not appear that smart in interviews based on talking, he isn't a native speaker like Rose. And at Duke, especially under Coach K, you wouldn't be allowed to be a moron like Rose academically. As much as I hate Duke and K, they take academics seriously and Rose could never have dreamed of going to Duke.

But as an athlete, you need a lot less merit to get into a school like that. Do you really think that Deng got a high enough score on the SAT to actually get in as a normal applicant? It's pretty damn hard to get into Duke.

Edited by chw42

You didn't know that Luol Deng has two different sides? There's one that doesn't give a s*** and there's one that plays like an all-star who gets a double-double. Too bad the second side rarely comes out.

:lol:

Nice.

I gotta say also I'd rather have a dumb kid with a high basketball IQ (Rose) than a smart kid with a low basketball IQ (Tyrus) and this comming from the ultimate Tyrus Thomas fan. And no Derrick Rose isn't dumb.. he is lazy, but not dumb. Very smart kid that just made a dumb decision... to trust his brother.. :huh

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
But as an athlete, you need a lot less merit to get into a school like that. Do you really think that Deng got a high enough score on the SAT to actually get in as a normal applicant? It's pretty damn hard to get into Duke.

Obviously not. Duke is a top 10 academic school, not many athletes can get in there like Myron Rolle if he wanted to. But I am pretty confident in saying that Deng is smarter than Rose, appreciably smarter at that.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 29, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Yes it matters. Because by doing nothing it means another player gets screwed out of a spot he worked for and earned when someone cheats his way and takes it away from him.

Realistically, if you're as good as Derrick Rose is at basketball (or close to it), some program somewhere will find a way to have you playing. Is it right? No. But that's just how it is. The one who gets screwed out of a spot is the would-be last guy on the roste. But that would mean you're not really that good at basketball to begin with, so... tough s*** I guess. Life sucks, and it would be like that if said player made the pros, too.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)

Nice.

I gotta say also I'd rather have a dumb kid with a high basketball IQ (Rose) than a smart kid with a low basketball IQ (Tyrus) and this comming from the ultimate Tyrus Thomas fan. And no Derrick Rose isn't dumb.. he is lazy, but not dumb. Very smart kid that just made a dumb decision... to trust his brother.. :huh

Tyrus is actually smart? I find that hard to believe.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 29, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)

Nice.

If he was smart he wouldnt have let someone else take the SAT for him...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
That's such bulls***. They don't prevent from making money at all. No one is forcing them to go to college. At the end of the day it is still their choice to attend. Plenty of other options out there for them.

I would really like to hear how the NBA having hiring requirements is any different than any other job saying that you have to have a college degree or the like to work there. These kind of requirements happen all over life, I am not sure why it is evil when the NBA does, but OK when say a steel mill does it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)

Nice.

If you can't get good enough grades or SATs on our own to get into Memphis, you are dumb.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I would really like to hear how the NBA having hiring requirements is any different than any other job saying that you have to have a college degree or the like to work there. These kind of requirements happen all over life, I am not sure why it is evil when the NBA does, but OK when say a steel mill does it.

Ding ding ding

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
If you can't get good enough grades or SATs on our own to get into Memphis, you are dumb.

Seriously...

Either his brother's stupid and convinced him that Memphis needs good grades to get into or Derrick is actually stupid, stupid.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 29, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
RIIGHT...

If it's worth anything. Weber refuses to partake in any of that. Reggie originally wanted money just to allow Derrick to visit and open up recruiting to each school. Weber stated absolutely not and became hot after that. Like really really really pissed off.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)

The NBA does not allow graduating high school students to play in the NBA for one year.