braves acquire nate mclouth

chisox2334

Pirates trade McLouth to Atlanta

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates have traded center fielder Nate McLouth to the Atlanta Braves tonight, according to two sources, but there is no immediate word on the return.

Check PBC Blog for details, updates.

Read more: "Pirates trade McLouth to Atlanta" - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09154/97492...0HPb7E2GK&A

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Pirates have a guy they are looking at to replace McLouth? I thought he was a guy they planned on building around

Andrew McCutchen is their future. They are also high on Brandon Moss. And hopefully Walker and Alverez etc.. when theyre ready/everything goes right.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Do the Pirates have a guy they are looking at to replace McLouth? I thought he was a guy they planned on building around

That guy would be Andrew McCutchen. He's one of the best position prospects in baseball. If this guy is as good as most people think, they won't miss McLouth at all.

That guy would be Andrew McCutchen. He's one of the best position prospects in baseball. If this guy is as good as most people think, they won't miss McLouth at all.

He will be. He and Dexter Fowler will be really exciting to watch in 2+ years in the NL.

Sold high on McClouth imo.

I personally don't think he tops last years performance. Never really showed the pop in the minors until he got the callup.

Depending on the prospects Id have to give pitt the edge.

I assume he takes over CF on an interim basis and then maybe moves to LF/RF once the 2 young OF's the Braves have are considered ready?

I would assume so and he and Francouer are very nice stop gaps for a while. I'm not sure who their current LF is, but when Jason Heyward is ready I don't care if you have to trade both guys and their mother, they are not taking his RF spot in a couple years. He is as can't miss as it gets.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Depending on the prospects Id have to give pitt the edge.

The Braves aren't that far out of that division if they can get some more solid run production. Their pitching is in better shape than its been in for a while, they just haven't gotten much production from their OF, between the 4 Hr's from Francoeur, 2 HR from Anderson, and Schaffer being sent back down. They're only 4.5 back. Taking a shot at that division is usually worth it for a team like the Braves that already has a ton of talented young guys coming up

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
I would assume so and he and Francouer are very nice stop gaps for a while. I'm not sure who their current LF is, but when Jason Heyward is ready I don't care if you have to trade both guys and their mother, they are not taking his RF spot in a couple years. He is as can't miss as it gets.

Garret Anderson is playing LF for them. Heyward and Schafer should make 2 fine additions to their OF at some point.

The Braves aren't that far out of that division if they can get some more solid run production. Their pitching is in better shape than its been in for a while, they just haven't gotten much production from their OF, between the 4 Hr's from Francoeur, 2 HR from Anderson, and Schaffer being sent back down. They're only 4.5 back. Taking a shot at that division is usually worth it for a team like the Braves that already has a ton of talented young guys coming up

Man Jordan Schafer.. another guy who is going to be really good. Luckally he can play anywhere in the OF. Braves are just that damn good in their scouting. We will quickly see that with Tyler Flowers.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Man Jordan Schafer.. another guy who is going to be really good. Luckally he can play anywhere in the OF. Braves are just that damn good in their scouting. We will quickly see that with Tyler Flowers.

The Braves, Dodgers and Red Sox, IMO, are the best in the business at identifying, drafting and developing talent.

I got to see Gorkys Hernandez in person last week when the M-Braves were in town to play the Barons. He's a solid ballplayer, he hit well over .300 and was leading the SL in a lot of offensive categories. He was the other player Atlanta got in the Jurrjens/Renteria deal. Man, Frank Wren fleeced Detroit on that one, and now he turns Hernandez and two pitchers into McLouth.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
So how long is it going to take for multiple posters to trash Kenny for not coming up with a better package to net McLouth?

Not trash, but I would have liked him on our team playing CF and leading off. He's better than anything we currently have and better than most on the open market.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
Not trash, but I would have liked him on our team playing CF and leading off. He's better than anything we currently have and better than most on the open market.

Agreed, I thought KW was going to go after him by offering up Poreda and others.