SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

Apparently our 4th round pick is committed to UCR, who has a decent program, but nothing special out in the Big West. Had a 2.06 ERA in 74 innings of work with 72K's. No clue on what his stuff is.

On second note, here's what I found:

Matt Heidenreich is a right-handed pitcher from Temescal Canyon HS. Matt was voted Pitcher of The Year in 2008 for Temescal Canyon. He pitched 74 innings and recorded 72 strikeouts, while maintaining an ERA of 2.06. Coach Smith's comments - Matt is a big strong guy with a very high ceiling. He has the chance to be a top of staff type of guy.

I'm wondering if he is a guy that was hurt in 09?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Not very exciting from that.

Not at all. The last two picks we made were flat out f***ing reaches. Awful selections. I'm not saying they can't be good baseball players, but these were cheapo picks and I guarantee it will show when you see the bonuses they kid compared to other guys in the round.

I like the 4th rounders body, know nothing else about him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Apparently our 4th round pick is committed to UCR, who has a decent program, but nothing special out in the Big West. Had a 2.06 ERA in 74 innings of work with 72K's. No clue on what his stuff is.

On second note, here's what I found:

I'm wondering if he is a guy that was hurt in 09?

I read somewhere he's 6'5" but already lost the link. Here are his numbers from 2009:

http://www.maxpreps.com/california/basebal...yer&group=2

3.14 ERA in 58 IP with 56 K and 14 BB

So any guys out there that the Sox could be looking at to be Danks2 like draftpick? Where they feel it is worth to reach on some of these picks and sign this guy later?

Im very dissappointed in these last couple of picks, I want power arms who can be a big impact. (And as Chisoxfn said, doesnt mean these guys are bad, but from the reports were seeing they aren't top prospects that I am hoping for).

6th Round

Justin Collop RHP U. of Toledo

Here's his stat line for the year:

ERA W-L G GS CG IPs H R ER BB K

38 COLLOP, Justin... 6.51 4-7 13 13 1 76.0 96 58 55 19 63

In his defense, he was in the same conference as powerhouses Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, and Central Michigan, among others.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Ya, he's 6-5 with upside is about the best thing I could find. He was his teams #1 as a junior.

Mustve been injured then, I wonder what was up with his senior year.

Here's what Rotoworld said about Mitchell...

Mitchell might have 20- or 25-homer ability, but his long swing could lead to low averages. Also, he's no sure thing to last in center field. He has the raw speed, but he's not a great defender right now and his arm is below average. If he moves to left, he may not have the bat to make it.

Way to s*** on our parade rotoworld.

Collop

The 9th best starter in the league, according to ATVL, is Winchester's Justin Collop.

Collop, a junior at Toledo, had an excellent season for the Royals over 9 starts and 58 2/3 innings. He went 5-2, with a 1.039 WHIP, 2.6 BB/9, 9.5 K/9, and .206 batting average against. The high K/9 comes from a whopping 62 strikeouts in those 58 2/3 innings. He finished 5th in the league in strikeouts, 9th in innings pitched, and 4th in opponent's batting average.

9th best starter in the Valley (Summer League). Small stature guy. Not sure on his stuff.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
I see a Twitter update on the MLB draft tracker saying Storen already signed with the Nationals. Impressive by them and his commitment to get up to the bigs early.

they just made mike macdougal their closer....so yeah he should definitely move quick

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
LOL, his numbers are hideous.

6.51 ERA(ok, no big deal)

76 IP, 96 hits, 63 K's. -_-

The first thing I saw after running a Google News search on this kid is:

The Cardinals' bats did the rest, putting up ten runs in the third inning. They tagged Toledo starter Justin Collop (3-7) for 11 runs in three innings on 10 hits.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Looks like Fathom was right and we're going cheap this year... oh well, hopefully some of these guys turn into ball players.

This is so disappointing. Maybe we'll be active in the International free agency period...yeah right

I really dont care about the stats. I mean, look at Hudson and Carter, if we can get guys with live arms and have a good chance at fixing their mechanics or whatever to improve them, then Im fine with the pick. Just dont give me a crap pitcher who also doesnt have the stuff just because you want to go cheap.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
I really dont care about the stats. I mean, look at Hudson and Carter, if we can get guys with live arms and have a good chance at fixing their mechanics or whatever to improve them, then Im fine with the pick. Just dont give me a crap pitcher who also doesnt have the stuff just because you want to go cheap.

Hudson and Carter both gave up less hits than IP, and both had better strikeout numbers. Hitters have no problem with Collops stuff apparently.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Hudson and Carter both gave up less hits than IP, and both had better strikeout numbers. Hitters have no problem with Collops stuff apparently.

I believe Poreda had similar problems especially considering his stuff (obviously not as bad as an ERA but he was striking out to many guys and I believe he was giving up a fair amount of hits).

Ill reserve my judgment until I hear about his stuff, and his problems. Trust me though, if his stuff is considered mediocre and his upside is limited then its a joke of a pick and this organization really needs to make some changes.