SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Maybe KW has a good relationship with the Thompson family? The only negative I heard about our first day picks was that some think Mitchell was going to be there at 38, and Phegley there for our 3rd pick. Oh well, I'm sure someone we think will be good will suck, and vice versa.

Personally, I would have went with Tyler Skaggs or Everett Williams in the Comp A round. We probably could have gotten Phegley in the 3rd (maybe even the 4th).

Hopps is older, but he wasn't converted to the mound until he was a sophmore in college and than missed most of the 2007 season due to injuries. Was healthy in 08 and 09 and pitched good. Huge build, a lot of raw potential and a big arm. Looks like a potential reliever.

Awesome build, good raw stuff. Not overly excited, but nothing wrong with this pick.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
matthew hopps....also not in BAs top 150 from california....and hes 23 already

Either were reaching on alot of these California kids (big possibility), or we are scouting it deeper and have better info on alot of the more unknown kids (not so likely).

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Personally, I would have went with Tyler Skaggs or Everett Williams in the Comp A round. We probably could have gotten Phegley in the 3rd (maybe even the 4th).

Phegley would have been long gone by the 3rd, most likely. Albeit a lot of catchers stayed on the boards for a while, at the same time, Phelgey wasn't a prep catcher so I think he'd have been gone sometime in the 2nd.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Either were reaching on alot of these California kids (big possibility), or we are scouting it deeper and have better info on alot of the more unknown kids (not so likely).

I'll say this, California is a good place to be scouting. We tend to draft a lot of guys out of here as well. And it is a breeding grounds for good baseball players. Texas and Florida as well.

His Coach on Pioli:

“That doesn’t surprise me,” Lindsey Meggs, Indiana State baseball coach said. “Nick has all the tools that you look for in the pros. He can hit, hit with power, run and throw. We expect him to have a big year in 2009.”

Another article on Pioli, who was the 2008 Alaskan Summer League player of the year. Sounds like we got ourselves a good baseball player here. Who knows if he makes it or not, but he should be able to rake short season ball.

http://www.tribstar.com/ISU/local_story_214232837.html

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Another article on Pioli, who was the 2008 Alaskan Summer League player of the year. Sounds like we got ourselves a good baseball player here. Who knows if he makes it or not, but he should be able to rake short season ball.

Its Nick Cioli. I played with him at ISU before I decided I wanted to drink my scholarship away haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)

MLB says his last name is Ciolli. Which is it?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Its Nick Cioli. I played with him at ISU before I decided I wanted to drink my scholarship away haha.

Would you be interested in doing an interview for the site? Also, what can you tell us about him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
MLB says his last name is Ciolli. Which is it?

How I come up with the names I do, well, who the hell knows. We got a better shot at figuring out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

Well I would for sure help you out in anyway possible, but those guys do not think so fond of me after I decided to quit, so an interview would probably be out of the question. I'll be able to put together a little scouting report after I get off work, but he's the definition of a baseball grinder.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Well I would for sure help you out in anyway possible, but those guys do not think so fond of me after I decided to quit, so an interview would probably be out of the question. I'll be able to put together a little scouting report after I get off work, but he's the definition of a baseball grinder.

Haha, I guess we'll take care of a potential interview, you take care of the scouting report.

Well, I just got home from work, but my first thoughts are that the 2nd day has been a bit disappointing so far. I like the Buch pick a lot, but other than that it seemed like we reached a lot, and didn't take a chance on any of the big guys that fell b/c of signability issues. On second glance, this Jones kid could be a good get if he signs.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
I believe Diego Seastrunk is still available.

Maybe he said he wanted to go back to school.

Colligan, the 12th rounder, is a big power, lower contact guy. His stats reek of metal bat power.