SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
I really dont care about the stats. I mean, look at Hudson and Carter, if we can get guys with live arms and have a good chance at fixing their mechanics or whatever to improve them, then Im fine with the pick. Just dont give me a crap pitcher who also doesnt have the stuff just because you want to go cheap.

I can't find anything other than he has a 2-seamer fastball. This is just flat out embarassing by the White Sox.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Hudson and Carter both gave up less hits than IP, and both had better strikeout numbers. Hitters have no problem with Collops stuff apparently.

Both also had very good pitchers bodies. Collop is very lean and not super tall so we better hope he has a pretty electric arm. I have major doubts, but again, I still say its a terrible pick. Again, not knocking the individual, rather the timing of the move.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Any info on Justin Jones? Probably another soft tossing lefty...

Our 4th round pick looks bad in that scouting video. Not much velocity at all.

Justin Jones is commited to University of California. He had great high school numbers the last two years:

0.41 ERA in 70 innings with 124 Ks as a Junior and 0.42 ERA in 66 innings with 118 Ks as a Senior.

http://www.modbee.com/sports/story/734017.html

Edited by wsgdf_2

I like the Jones pick. Has shown low 90's velocity, but doesn't currently sit there. Nice frame, good command for a youngster, good attitude.

Sounds like he's signable for the right price.

"If the right numbers (draft position and signing bonus) are there, I'm going professional," said Jones,

a lanky, 6-foot, 3-inch, 180-pound lefty who has hit the low-90s on the radar gun. "I don't have a rough estimate right now as to what those numbers might be. I'm kind of working on that."

Ryan Buch from Monmouth U in Jersey.....nationally the #90 overall prospect according to baseball america

Buch broke out in 2007, when he went 9-2, 2.44 as a freshman at Monmouth and ranked as the No. 1 prospect in the Atlantic Collegiate League that summer. He's always had a prototype pitcher's frame and an excellent curveball, but his stock soared in April along with his velocity. Buch has reached the low 90s with his fastball since he was a freshman, and he has still pitched in that range for most of this spring. More recently he had run his fastball up to 95, sitting at 92-93. The velocity on his sharp, downer curveball has also spiked, reaching 84-85 mph. Even when he throws it slower—and some scouts report seeing a 74-77 breaker, while others have seen it at 81-82— it's still a true above-average offering. But when he throws it harder, it can rate as a 70 or better pitch on the 20-80 scouting scale. Buch is refining his fastball command, and he does not have a lot of feel for his changeup. But scouts can dream on him, and he seems likely to be drafted in the first two rounds in June.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Ryan Buch from Monmouth U in Jersey.....nationally the #90 overall prospect according to baseball america

Buch broke out in 2007, when he went 9-2, 2.44 as a freshman at Monmouth and ranked as the No. 1 prospect in the Atlantic Collegiate League that summer. He's always had a prototype pitcher's frame and an excellent curveball, but his stock soared in April along with his velocity. Buch has reached the low 90s with his fastball since he was a freshman, and he has still pitched in that range for most of this spring. More recently he had run his fastball up to 95, sitting at 92-93. The velocity on his sharp, downer curveball has also spiked, reaching 84-85 mph. Even when he throws it slower—and some scouts report seeing a 74-77 breaker, while others have seen it at 81-82— it's still a true above-average offering. But when he throws it harder, it can rate as a 70 or better pitch on the 20-80 scouting scale. Buch is refining his fastball command, and he does not have a lot of feel for his changeup. But scouts can dream on him, and he seems likely to be drafted in the first two rounds in June.

Thats more like it.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)

He may be the hardest thrower we have selected yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I hope the Sox first three selections, which were atrocious, are a sign that they plan on giving Thompson the big bucks it'll take to sign.

Don't count on it... We rarely ever pay over slot. The Danks situation last year was a special circumstance.

Jones also featurs a 12-6 curve and a changeup. Jones velocity has increased by 2-3 MPH over the past season so he might be a real projectable kid. He pitches in the upper 80's but has topped out at 93.

Buch looks like another real nice pickup. I am glad to see the Sox stockpiling arms and as I've mentioned, I hope those three picks were guys that they think have potential and were easy signs because they have a plan to take a guy late and give him big bucks or at least make sure they give Thompson the money.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)

Why did he slip so much?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Looks like Morgado has the most velocity, but this guy isn't far behind. Looks like a solid pick.

You're right. Hardest throwing right-hander at least. I like the last two picks.

Volz is still out there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Don't count on it... We rarely ever pay over slot. The Danks situation last year was a special circumstance.

Maybe KW has a good relationship with the Thompson family? The only negative I heard about our first day picks was that some think Mitchell was going to be there at 38, and Phegley there for our 3rd pick. Oh well, I'm sure someone we think will be good will suck, and vice versa.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
Maybe KW has a good relationship with the Thompson family? The only negative I heard about our first day picks was that some think Mitchell was going to be there at 38, and Phegley there for our 3rd pick. Oh well, I'm sure someone we think will be good will suck, and vice versa.

Our first day was good. I'd compare Phegley to a Kurk Suzuki. Great hitter, great leader, not sure whether he'll be able to stick behind the plate in the pro's or not but well worth taking a shot on. I'm going to have to guess Kenny knows Michael Thompson and feels a deal will get done.