Matt Holliday

SoxFanForever

Was just watching "MLB Tonight: Batting Practice" on the MLB Network and they were discussing Matt Holliday as the best impact bat on the trade market this year.

Jon Heyman was on there and was listing a number of possible teams that Holliday could go to and at the end said that the Sox were a "wild card" to trade for him. Thoughts?

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Was just watching "MLB Tonight: Batting Practice" on the MLB Network and they were discussing Matt Holliday as the best impact bat on the trade market this year.

Jon Heyman was on there and was listing a number of possible teams that Holliday could go to and at the end said that the Sox were a "wild card" to trade for him. Thoughts?

it would be a rent a player, he likely won't resign and opt to hit FA... I think I heard LaRussa has mentioned him by name

That really depends on a lot of things. For example, will CQ's return continually be pushed back until the idea of him coming back this season vanishes? If so, along with the Sox having a record that could be in contention, yes I could see them going for him. One thing Kenny seems to show is that he wants this team to be a competitive team no matter what. Unfortunately given the way the last few weeks have been, it is more unlikely that we will trade for him because there's no point in sacrificing your future for an expensive player when that player cannot get you to the playoffs at that point in the season.

Always possible, but not likely.

Guess you should ask yourself, would we be able to contend with him?

Personally, I don't think so because we have a lot of weaknesses and conerns at other positions. To be honest I really don't want him because he will end up being a free agent next season, I guess if anything he would be a Type A player I believe but we would sacrifice prospects just for that would be rather pointless.

Id love to have him only if he extends with us. This park does suit him however.

The A's didn't give up a ton to get him...but here's the question...what would we be willing to give up that would be worth more to the A's than the 2 draft picks? That sounds like it'd be on the order of Richard or Poreda as payment to me.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
He would be a nice free agent to sign in the off season, but Boras kinda kills that.

We're going to be one of the best destinations in the fall, we'll be a team that legitimately can spend money. And unless we improve...we'll be able to sign a type A guy without losing our first round pick.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Sorry but, "Where will he play?"

CQ and Holliday would probably be the Leftfielder and Rightfielder, which ever Ozzie felt would be pest at the positions. OR you could have the alternate between LF and DH (I believe Thome is gone after this season)

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
He would be a nice free agent to sign in the off season, but Boras kinda kills that.

I have always thought the Sox should go after him this offseason.

If it's a rent a player, what's the point? However, if we want to sign him to an extension right away, I'm all for it... but there's no way Boras lets him not hit the open market.

Odds are extremely low... but I love to idea of getting Holliday being our everyday LF, either by trade and signed to an extension or signed in free agency. However, it'd require us putting aside our differences with Boras and letting Hahn do all the work.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
He'd definitley be a rent. He's already said he'd love to play for the Yankees.

Players say they'd love to play for team X all the time. In the end, it seems like its about money over 90% of the time... However, the only problem is the Yankees have a ton of money to spend. But the Yankees might not be interested considering Austin Jackson is knocking on the door right now.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)

What the hell...we should be selling,not buying with this god awful team.

Bust them up already!

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
What the hell...we should be selling,not buying with this god awful team.

Bust them up already!

If we're not giving up a s*** load and we can sign him to an extension, a move like this makes perfect sense... if we're trading a lot for a renta player though, yeah, it makes no sense.

We'll be sellers for sure. All baseball 'experts' think were the 'wildcard' to all names because of the Peavy thing. Well back in May we were only 3 to 4 games back in the division and hovering around the .500 mark. Now we are 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games behind Detroit. I say by the end of the week we'll be about 10 games under and and about 9.5 games back.

Matt Holiday will not be coming here.

In about 2 weeks expect some popular names to be dealt away from the team.

Edited by GreatScott82

If you get rid of Dye's option for next season, you could definitely use the money on Holliday. He's going to come at around $15 million annually for about 4-5 years. Don't know if the Sox would take that deal on. But since his trade to Oakland, he is going to cost a hell of a lot less.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
If we're not giving up a s*** load and we can sign him to an extension, a move like this makes perfect sense... if we're trading a lot for a renta player though, yeah, it makes no sense.

we all know how Mr Boras doesn't do extensions when his clients are primed to go into free agency.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
we all know how Mr Boras doesn't do extensions when his clients are primed to go into free agency.

I know that... I was being hypothetical though.

We gotta stop this no doing business with Boras thing, and let Hahn do all the work when we deal with him. Maybe the fact we drafted Goodwin is a good sign...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
If you get rid of Dye's option for next season, you could definitely use the money on Holliday. He's going to come at around $15 million annually for about 4-5 years. Don't know if the Sox would take that deal on. But since his trade to Oakland, he is going to cost a hell of a lot less.

No one is going to come close to giving him that money. This isn't the market 2 years ago.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
It's an organization decision, not a Williams choice. Rick Hahn deals with every contract anyways.

While Hahn does deal with every contract, I recall back in 05 or 06 we had him exclusively work on signing Crede.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
No one is going to come close to giving him that money. This isn't the market 2 years ago.

Here's why he probably will: Scott Boras.

The Yankees look like they need an outfielder and that stadium is the AL's new launching pad. Looks very good for Holliday.

If he gets traded to a contender and does well in the playoffs, he is going to get that kind of money whether we like it or not.

Yankees might have some interest, but I'm not sure.

They have Austin Jackson who's a top prospect in baseball who's knocking on the door. Melky seems to finally be putting it together. They have to decide on what they're gonna do with Nady and Damon, and they already have Swisher, Cabrera, and Jackson. Perhaps the likely scenario is to let both Damon and Nady go, sign Holliday, and have Jackson play CF (his arm won't play in RF) with Melky in RF. Swisher could also get plenty of playing time taking pressure off of Jackson and play in RF with Melky shifting to CF.

Edited by BearSox