Peavy could be sidelined as long as 12 weeks

RME JICO

Jake Peavy will be out at least through the All-Star break and could miss up to 12 weeks with a torn tendon in his right ankle, Padres trainer Todd Hutcheson said.

Peavy underwent an MRI on Friday morning at Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla that showed longitudinal tearing in the posterior tibialis tendon in his right ankle. The ankle has bothered him since he injured it running the bases against the Chicago Cubs on May 22.

Peavy's right foot was immediately placed in a solid, mid-calf high cast that will remain on for at least two weeks and possibly longer than a month.

After the solid cast is removed, Peavy will be placed in a walking cast for an undetermined amount of time.

The posterior tibialis is the tendon and muscle on the inside of the right ankle that supports the foot.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...s184849/?padres

First off, remove that abomination from your avatar.

Second, it's obvious we dodged one hell of a bullet. I was never for the trade to begin with, but it wasn't that I thought he was injured; I was thinking 2010-11 would be the time for that.

Imagine how aggravated we'd be in our position, having given up Poreda/Richard/etc., and then with Peavy's injury being forced to go with Carrasco or some other assortment of AAA crap. If we weren't in the same position now, 5.5 games back, with Peavy on our team, we'd soon fall due to the lack of another pitching option.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Imagine how aggravated we'd be in our position, having given up Poreda/Richard/etc., and then with Peavy's injury being forced to go with Carrasco or some other assortment of AAA crap. If we weren't in the same position now, 5.5 games back, with Peavy on our team, we'd soon fall due to the lack of another pitching option.

Yeah, imagine that, trading for an ace and then having a series of unfortunate circumstances maybe happen in a hypothetical scenario.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
Yeah, imagine that, trading for an ace and then having a series of unfortunate circumstances maybe happen in a hypothetical scenario.

An unfortunate circumstance in a hypothetical scenario which came true.

We're better off. Admit it.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
An unfortunate circumstance in a hypothetical scenario which came true.

We're better off. Admit it.

Doesn't look like it would have happened, but who know, it could have been slowly developing.

Peavy, the 2007 NL Cy Young winner, is 3-1 with a 4.43 ERA in four starts since he voided a trade to the Chicago White Sox. The injury occurred while he ran the bases in his first start after the proposed trade.

SI

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
It's all academic really though. With Peavy this team still sucks. And in the AL, he becomes a solid pitcher, but not an ACE like in the NL.

He has the 2nd best ERA in baseball since 2005. Only Santana has been better in that span. I doubt moving him to the AL would make him much worse. In fact, his first year in the AL, he'd probably have an overwhelming advantage with his electric stuff considering AL hitters have rarely if ever hit against him.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
He has the 2nd best ERA in baseball since 2005. Only Santana has been better in that span. I doubt moving him to the AL would make him much worse. In fact, his first year in the AL, he'd probably have an overwhelming advantage with his electric stuff considering AL hitters have rarely if ever hit against him.

Over the last three years -- Peavy ERA's at home = 2.72, on the road = 3.73. Coming to the Cell that road ERA indicates his home ERA with the Sox would be around 4.00 (just my guess). Also, the AL has superior offenses and is much tougher to pitch in. I honestly think he have a over-3.50 ERA.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Over the last three years -- Peavy ERA's at home = 2.72, on the road = 3.73. Coming to the Cell that road ERA indicates his home ERA with the Sox would be around 4.00 (just my guess). Also, the AL has superior offenses and is much tougher to pitch in. I honestly think he have a over-3.50 ERA.

The only thing that indicates is that he's more comfortable pitching at home, like most of the league. Home/Road ERA's fluctuate a ton from player to player. I hate that argument. Peavy's stuff and ability to pitch translates to any stadium against any competition, period.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
The only thing that indicates is that he's more comfortable pitching at home, like most of the league. Home/Road ERA's fluctuate a ton from player to player. I hate that argument. Peavy's stuff and ability to pitch translates to any stadium against any competition, period.

I don't think anyone's saying or has ever said that he wouldn't be a good pitcher here, I think it's just a major dispute of whether or not he's an ace here. Yes, players often perform better at home, but Peavy has a bigger advantage at his home than most pitchers. Petco is a huge difference maker.

1) Remove him from Petco, he gets worse because every single other park is harder to pitch in

2) Remove him from the NL, he gets worse because the hitters are better and now he faces 9 of them not 8.