Weird Barons promotion

danman31

Kind of cool if there are any fans that are so allergic to peanuts that just being around them will make them have a reaction (there are people like that). This way they'll get to go to a game they may not otherwise be able to... But yeah, I can't imagine it really affects that many people in Birmingham. Regardless, a nice gesture by the Barons.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Kind of cool if there are any fans that are so allergic to peanuts that just being around them will make them have a reaction (there are people like that). This way they'll get to go to a game they may not otherwise be able to... But yeah, I can't imagine it really affects that many people in Birmingham. Regardless, a nice gesture by the Barons.

They search bags to make sure nobody sneaks any peanuts in to that game.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
Do people with peanut allergies really have it that bad that they can't be in the same park as them?

Yes. My coworker developed a peanut allergy when she was about 20 years old(had absolutely no problem with them prior, one day she was sent to the hospital with her throat completely swollen shut)

So many things are made with peanut products, and it seriously makes the allergic people itchy just being around that stuff,

This isn't new. Minor League teams have been doing this for at least 5-6 years, maybe longer. Apparently, peanut allergy is very sensitive and yes it would keep someone from being able to go to a ballpark. Simply the shells on the ground could trigger a reaction. I'm sure someone knows more about this affliction than I do, but I know it is bad enough that the stadium has to be pressure washed before the event.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
This isn't new. Minor League teams have been doing this for at least 5-6 years, maybe longer. Apparently, peanut allergy is very sensitive and yes it would keep someone from being able to go to a ballpark. Simply the shells on the ground could trigger a reaction. I'm sure someone knows more about this affliction than I do, but I know it is bad enough that the stadium has to be pressure washed before the event.

Yeah, when I worked for the Wizards (now the TinCaps) a couple of summers ago, they hosted a few peanut-free games. Those games actually showed a small spike in attendance too.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
Do people with peanut allergies really have it that bad that they can't be in the same park as them?

For whatever reason (I don't know why), peanut allergies tend to have much worse reactions than other foods. Like, deadly reactions. The day care/school my kid is in, no peanuts or peanut products are ever allowed in the building.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
For whatever reason (I don't know why), peanut allergies tend to have much worse reactions than other foods. Like, deadly reactions. The day care/school my kid is in, no peanuts or peanut products are ever allowed in the building.

It's because of the type of protein that triggers the allergic reaction. A person with a strong peanut allergy will only need a bare minimum of exposure to that substance to trigger the allergy. Plenty of people have deadly anaphylactic reactions to other things, including foods (shellfish, beestings, various perfuming compounds, whatever) but it's the little amount that triggers the peanut one combined with the number of consumer products that use peanuts or are processed in similar facilities as peanuts that gets everyone's attention. (For example...if you have a sever shellfish or beesting allergy, you don't exactly expect that you'll have a problem buying iced cream).

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
Yeah, when I worked for the Wizards (now the TinCaps) a couple of summers ago, they hosted a few peanut-free games. Those games actually showed a small spike in attendance too.

Did you work for Mike Nutter? Is he still there in FW?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
Would Nutter show up at a peanut-free game?

Ba Da Bump!

My oldest son has the really bad allergy to peanuts and yes it is very serious. The worst thing is explaining the severity to people. Few buy into it without thinking you are an overreactive parent. It took a bad reaction to halloween candy before my parents even accepted it was a real serious thing.